TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand

3 posters

Go down

Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand Empty Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:38 pm

from http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/01/giants_coordinators_perry_fewe.html

Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand
Published: Monday, January 03, 2011, 3:33 PM Updated: Monday, January 03, 2011, 3:59 PM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is reportedly a candidate for the Browns' and Panthers' head coaching jobs. His agent said right now he's only focused on helping the Giants' defense in 2011.

The Giants’ season hasn’t been over for a day yet and already there’s talk of both of their coordinators heading elsewhere.

The Panthers and Browns have submitted requests to interview defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, according to a report by ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Meanwhile, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride’s name has been floated as a potential candidate for the vacant job at UConn.

“We don’t want to hold anybody back,” general manager Jerry Reese said.

That’s not always true, as secondary coach Peter Giunta said two years ago the team denied requests for him to be interviewed for coordinator jobs elsewhere. But in the case of head-coaching jobs, a team must grant permission.

"Perry Fewell is currently focused on helping (the Giants') defense to further improvement in 2011," Fewell's agent, Nathan Whitaker, wrote on his Twitter account.

It remains to be seen if his focus will soon shift elsewhere.

In the meantime, it appears there will be no changes to the Giants' coaching staff outside of the ones created by assistants going elsewhere on their own.

Asked if he's considering making any changes to his staff, Coughlin replied, "Right now, I'd have to say no."

Said Reese, “We like our coaching staff. And, again, everyone gets evaluated. I get evaluated, the coaching staff gets evaluated, the players get evaluated, the whole front office, everybody gets evaluated. … If guys get an opportunity to move on to a better opportunity, we’re happy for them if that comes along. But we like our coaching staff right now.”

Browns president Mike Holmgren said he will remain just that – the president of the team – and will not return to the sideline. Early speculation as to who will fill the job vacated when Eric Mangini was fired has mostly pointed toward Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. Former Panthers coach John Fox has also been mentioned. Speaking of Fox, he would certainly be a candidate to return as Giants defensive coordinator if Fewell lands elsewhere and Fox doesn’t find another head-coaching job.

The 48-year-old Fewell led the Bills to a 3-4 record as interim coach in 2009. Buffalo interviewed him as a potential permanent coach but ultimately settled upon Chan Gailey. In Gailey’s first season as coach, the Bills went 4-12. Meanwhile, Fewell led a defense that got off to a good start and finished the season ranked a respectable seventh overall. But the unit struggled when it mattered most – in the final 8 minutes against the Eagles and the following week in Green Bay.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand Empty Re: Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:40 pm

I think there is a decent chance both get jobs elsewhere

Also don't overlook the fact that Tom Cable is likely on the way out at Oakland, and Gilbride's name has popped up there many times in recent years.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand Empty Re: Giants coordinators Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride reportedly in demand

Post  Pizan Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:41 pm

I think Fewell will be this years Rooney Rule guy. Hell, he may impress enough to get a HC job somewhere but I doubt it.

Gilbride should get a HC job somewhere on the college level but I think he is just best served as a coordinator in the NFL.

Although there are many positions available on both levels ultimately I think we head into next season with mostly the same staff.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:48 pm

If Gilbride does leave for the UConn job and Tony Sparano gets fired from Miami, don't be surprised if Sparano becomes our next Offensive Coordinator.

Sparano was the TE coach for Coughlin in Jacksonville, and Coughlin personally recommended Sparano to Parcells in Dallas, saying "he was the best assistant i ever had". Parcells respects Coughlin a ton and they're close friends, so he took Sparano in, and the rest is history.

If Sparano is available and we have a vacated OC spot, I expect us to go after him. Coughlin loves hiring his guys, and Sparano is from his coaching tree.

from bigbluedefense draftcountdown forums http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908&page=535

I am not sure how innovative Sparano is with his schemes, remember at Dallas while offensive coordinator he had the play calling duties taken off him and given to Jason Garrett, and if he is fired at Miami it will be because of their poor offense. Also I am not sure I want a wildcat here.

But one thing about Sparano is that he does the power running game really well, so that is a definate plus, perhaps between Coughlin and Sparano they could develop a good system based on what we currently have..

Last edited by Big_Pete on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Pizan wrote:I think Fewell will be this years Rooney Rule guy. Hell, he may impress enough to get a HC job somewhere but I doubt it.
I agree here. Don't forget, Tim Lewis was even interviewed for HC positions and likely only because of the Rooney rule.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Big_Pete wrote:If Gilbride does leave for the UConn job and Tony Sparano gets fired from Miami, don't be surprised if Sparano becomes our next Offensive Coordinator.

Sparano was the TE coach for Coughlin in Jacksonville, and Coughlin personally recommended Sparano to Parcells in Dallas, saying "he was the best assistant i ever had". Parcells respects Coughlin a ton and they're close friends, so he took Sparano in, and the rest is history.

If Sparano is available and we have a vacated OC spot, I expect us to go after him. Coughlin loves hiring his guys, and Sparano is from his coaching tree.

I am not sure how innovative Sparano is with his schemes, remember at Dallas while offensive coordinator he had the play calling duties taken off him and given to Jason Garrett, and if he is fired at Miami it will be because of their poor offense. Also I am not sure I want a wildcat here.

But one thing about Sparano is that he does the power running game really well, so that is a definate plus, perhaps between Coughlin and Sparano they could develop a good system based on what we currently have..

Thanks Pete. That's something I haven't considered. I'm a Sparano fan but a bigger Fewell fan right now.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:01 pm

If Gilbride leaves and Sparano is fired he has to be the favourite candidate.

I actually think Gilbride has done a good job with his schemes and system.

The passing game is as explosive as it ever has been and our running game has flashed for sure.

Much of the offensive issues this year have to come back to execution, too many drops, fumbles, interceptions and not winning the battle of the trenches consistently enough (although the Oline injuries were a factor). Much of this rests on the players imho

However, from Gilbride's point of view the UConn job is a very good opportunity from a career stand point, so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he leaves, although I would very much welcome him back.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Big_Pete wrote:If Gilbride does leave for the UConn job and Tony Sparano gets fired from Miami, don't be surprised if Sparano becomes our next Offensive Coordinator.

Wow I knew that looked familiar. Straight copied and pasted that from the draftcountdown.com forums. Maybe you should give bigbluedefense a little credit for that.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908&page=535
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Pizan wrote:Wow I knew that looked familiar. Straight copied and pasted that from the draftcountdown.com forums. Maybe you should give bigbluedefense a little credit for that.

fair call (apologies, I got lazy) this has been fixed, there was a couple of small edits, but not that much

the rest was mine
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 am

A little more info on Sporano from an article from espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5990527

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams, whose contract with Miami is up, expressed distaste for Sparano's micromanaging style Monday on a Miami radio station.

"A team takes on the personality of the head coach," Williams said. "I think the way we're coached, Tony goes through a lot of effort to show us the things that it takes to win football games: not turning the ball over, converting third downs, scoring in the red zone. He spent a lot of time saying, 'If you do these things, you win.' Sometimes, I feel like he does it a little bit too much.

"My personal opinion is, if you have the right attitude that 'You guys are going to win,' then all that other stuff takes care of itself."

Does this remind you of anyone? Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:42 am

I wonder if Coughlin could find/create a job for Sporano even if Gilbride sticks.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:43 am

If fired (which would be a huge mistake for Miami) Sporano would be in high demand. Its a great idea but wishful thinking.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 am

Pizan wrote:If fired (which would be a huge mistake for Miami) Sporano would be in high demand. Its a great idea but wishful thinking.

The rest of that article talks about how Miami have had talks with Cowher and Harbaugh.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:58 am

so I guess if we hired Sparano then Ricky Williams isn't coming with him? dang man monkey
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down