TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

My pre-combine offseason thoughts

Go down

My pre-combine offseason thoughts Empty My pre-combine offseason thoughts

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Here is my current thinking of what I would like to see for offseason options for the Giants (28 Jan).

Reese has identified the defensive back seven as a key area he wants to upgrade. I also think re-establishing a dominant power running game will be a priority.

Note with the uncapped year in 2009 (and record number of RFAs), there will be a lot more UFAs this year with a new CBA.

Team Analysis -Veteran Additions - Departures

Quarterback
With Eli and Sage, we are set

Running Back
This is an interesting position, we could either keep the guys we have or even totally overhaul the whole position. I am going for something in between.

Resign
Ahmad Bradshaw - Much will depend on whether Bradshaw's fumbling can be redressed, but Coughlin seems confident this can be rectified. The Giants do like what Bradshaw brings to the table.

Arrivals
Leon Washington (Seattle) - An ideal complement to Jacobs and Bradshaw and quality 3rd down RB. Washington is also the quality return guy we badly need.

Departures
DJ Ware

Fullback

Departures
Madison Hedgecock - Hedgecock is on the way out. Pascoe was a better blocker last season and should improve with more experience.

Wide Receivers

Resign
Steve Smith - one of the key pieces of the offense, he will be back

Domenik Hixon - quality return guy and decent receiver

Derek Hagan - invaluable in his return, Hagan will be given the chance to compete for a roster spot, most likely coming down to Hagan or Cruz

Departures
Mark Clayton

Tight End

Resign
Kevin Boss - Boss is a solid TE, but he is a better no two. He should be back cheaply, but if he doesn't return, Beckum and Pascoe can get the job done.

Offensive Line

Resign
Shawn Andrews - His back may be an ongoing issue, but he does give us experienced depth at multiple positions.
Kevin Boothe - A cheap, young backup lineman with some experience.

Defensive End

Resign
Matthias Kiwanuka - If he tests out ok medically (as I expect), Kiwanuka will be offered a one year deal to restore his value.

Dave Tollefson - Will be offered a deal for a similar role, but it could be tough to keep 5 DEs again.

Defensive Tackles

Resign
Barry Cofield - Cofield was a big part of the strong defensive line inside, retaining Cofield ensures we continue to have a top quality DT rotation.

Linebacker

This is the major position in need of overhaul.

Resign
Chase Blackburn - not really in the positional mix, but he is a key special teamer

Arrivals
Chad Greenway (Minnesota) - Linebackers aren't featured in Fewell's schemes, but we do need to add a quality veteran playmaker; ideally someone who can play SLB in our three LB fronts and replace Goff in our two LB sets in passing situations.

Departures
Keith Bullock - Bulluck won't be back, he wants to play full time and with our three safety package, he won't get that opportunity here.

Gerris Wilkinson - Will get a chance to start elsewhere

Cornerback

With the trend of passing offenses this year, we need three genuine starting calibre corners.

Arrivals
Richard Marshall (Carolina) - a physical corner with good speed, Marshall will add genuine competition for Thomas and Webster.

Safety

Safety is a key position in Fewell's schemes, we have good starters, but we badly need depth.

Resign
Deon Grant - we use three starting safeties, Grant plays a key role and is pretty much a starter.
Michael Johnson - cheap depth and special teams. He could compete with Chad Jones if he is healthy

Arrivals
George Wilson (Buffalo) - an under-rated safety, Wilson can play either spot. He had a career year in 2009 under Fewell and will know the system well. Wilson will be a good value pick up.

Punter

We will bring in a punter to compete with Dodge

Arrivals
Adam Podlesh (Jaguars) - A quality Punter to help our field position game.

Draft

Giants trade #19 to New England for #33, #60

33. OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College (6-7, 305, 5.20)

56. LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College (6-4, 250, 4.65)

60. LB Bruce Carter, North Carolina (6-3, 235, 4.60)

83. TE Luke Stocker, Tennessee (6-5, 255, 4.80)

116. S Deunta Williams, North Carolina (6-2, 215, 4.55)

180. DT Ian Williams, Notre Dame (6-1, 311, 5.20)

211. CB Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson (5-10, 193, 4.50)

Potential Roster

QB - Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfels

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, Leon Washington

FB - Bear Pascoe

WR - Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon, Devin Thomas / Derek Hagan / Victor Cruz

TE - Kevin Boss, Luke Stocker, Travis Beckum

T - Kareem McKenzie, Will Beatty, Shawn Andrews, Anthony Castonzo

G - Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Mitch Petrus

C - Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets

DE - Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Matthias Kiwanuka / Dave Tollefson

DT - Barry Cofield, Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard / Ian Williams

SLB - Chad Greenway, Clint Sintim, Adrian Tracy / Chase Blackburn

MLB - Jon Goff, Mark Herzlich

WLB - Michael Boley, Bruce Carter / Phillip Dillard

CB - Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Richard Marshall, Aaron Ross, Marcus Gilchrist / Bruce Johnson

S - Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, George Wilson, Deunta Williams / Michael Johnson / Chad Jones

K - Lawrence Tynes

P - Adam Podlesh / Matt Dodge

LS - Zak DeOssie
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down