TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants place RFA tenders

2 posters

Go down

Giants place RFA tenders Empty Giants place RFA tenders

Post  Big_Pete Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Giants extend restricted free agent tenders to Mathias Kiwanuka, Steve Smith and others
Published: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 5:11 PM Updated: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 6:26 PM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

6:01 p.m. UPDATED to include Boothe and second-round level for Kiwanuka and Smith.

And now, for some non-news.

Okay, so that's not how they tell you to get into your stories in J school (ahem, I, uh, never went to J school nor would they have addressed blogs while I would have been in there), but frankly what I'm about to write below could very well mean absolutely nothing. So I figured I'd forewarn you.

The Giants extended tenders today to their potential free agents with only four or five years' experience: DE Mathias Kiwanuka, WR Steve Smith, RB Ahmad Bradshaw, DT Barry Cofield, TE Kevin Boss, OL Kevin Boothe and DE Dave Tollefson. All of them received a second-round tender, save for Boothe, whose level is currently unclear. There's no word yet on WR/KR Domenik Hixon, but you can bet the disparity in negotiations between the owners and the NFL Players' Association he got one.

(The information above is courtesy of people informed of the tenders who requested anonymity because the Giants didn't release any info on the tenders. Cofield's agent confirmed on the record his client received a second-rounder.)

Now, on to the part where I explain how these tenders are probably meaningless.

The only way they'll come into play would be if the league and the union agree to play another uncapped season under the rules of the old collective bargaining agreement or if the new CBA stipulates free agents with four or five years' experience are restricted instead of unrestricted. The owners won't agree to that first scenario and I find it hard to believe the players would accept the second one, given the previous CBA allowed them to reach unrestricted free agency in only four years.

Should there somehow be a case where either scenario plays out, the Giants would receive compensation in the form of a second-round pick if another team signed one of the above players. They'd receive whatever pick corresponding to the level of tender Boothe and Hixon received.

As for the salaries that come along with these tenders, I've been cautioned to not even guess. They were written in the CBA, but for whatever reason is beyond the capabilities of my brain to understand, the agents of the players involved aren't giving them any credence.

In the end, all those involved are hoping the labor issue gets worked out, so that players like Cofield aren't restricted to a little less than $4 million total in what should be his two biggest earning years. Sure, that's more than $3 million more than what most of you and I make, but far, far less than what players like him would have earned in a normal labor environment.

But like John Mara said last week, the current situation and the fact players with four and five years' experience are eligible to be tendered puts both sides "in a tough spot." By all accounts, the Giants issued these tenders reluctantly, though in the end, they had little choice but to protect themselves. And even they probably believe they'll mean very little in the long run.

So in other words: As you were...
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants place RFA tenders Empty Re: Giants place RFA tenders

Post  Big_Pete Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:42 pm

This is mainly for the situation where the CBA negotiations agree to extend the status quo (ie an uncapped year) for one more season (to allow negotiations to extend).

btw interesting that John Mara is the only owner in talks today.

It is interesting that they all only got second round tenders

Mathias Kiwanuka, Steve Smith, Ahmad Bradshaw, Barry Cofield and Kevin Boss could all be attractive signings with only a second round pick compensation.

for example I could see New England making a play for Smith,
New England, NY Jets or New Orleans doing the same for Cofield and for a late 2nd, Kiwanuka could also be good value.

I guess this also gives an indication of their perceived value ($$wise) by the Giants
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:16 pm

I hope the Giants can keep Boothe. He's a real good player that can step in and the offense doesn't lose a beat.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:08 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:I hope the Giants can keep Boothe. He's a real good player that can step in and the offense doesn't lose a beat.

Looking at how the numbers shake up, assuming we bring in a center and perhaps a tackle to groom for the future, it could be a question of Andrews or Boothe.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down