TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Linebackers Giats selected since 1991

4 posters

Go down

Linebackers Giats selected since 1991 Empty Linebackers Giats selected since 1991

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Here is an article from Garafalo of the Star Ledger.

The disturbing part is at the end with a list of line backers selected by the Giants since 1991. There isn't one player that actually made a strong impact as an nfl player besides Jessie Armstead who was an 8th round lucky pick.

The annual Jerry Reese pre-draft, say-nothing press conference was held today. No, I’m not complaining about Reese not giving any solid info on the draft process because I understand why he didn’t and frankly I wouldn’t give him anything if the roles were reversed.

My point is there weren’t a whole lot of revelations or insights on the players the Giants might select next week. But there was an interesting turn when Reese was asked about the linebackers the team has taken in the past few years – all of whom have yet to make an impact.

“We have a couple of guys we don’t really know a lot about. Phillip Dillard didn’t play a lot and Adrian Tracy dislocated his elbow,” Reese said of the fourth- and sixth-round picks last year. “We want to see what those guys can do. And Clint Sintim is a guy that we want to see what he can do. He hasn’t played a lot and he got injured, so that hampered our evaluation of him.”

Now, the Sintim part is where things got interesting. Reese has challenged the 2009 pick in the past, saying he needs to learn to make opposing players’ “teeth rattle,” and he did so again today.

“I think he can do all of that, but I think it’s about growing up for him,” Reese said, echoing a sentiment Sintim expressed before last season. “He needs to grow up and play like the second-round player we think he is and give us that value and step in there and show us he can be a starter for us and play quality football for us.

“We picked him in the second round so we expect him to be an impact player for us and right now he hasn’t been able to do that. He flashed a little bit as a rookie but last year he didn’t get to play a lot because he was injured. So we’re hoping he can come back from his injury and look like a second-round pick.”

That’s kind of a misleading statement because Sintim didn’t tear his ACL until the Dec. 13 game against the Vikings. Before that, he played 13 games, mostly as a special teamer. And frankly, he entered training camp as the starter on the strong side (or weak side, depending on one’s perspective) but left the preseason as a backup after the team determined Jonathan Goff in the middle was a better option than Sintim on the outside, with Keith Bulluck sliding to Sintim’s spot.

“Well, it is what it is,” Reese replied when told Sintim had a chance to win a starting job. “You say he had a shot but he wasn’t out there. I don’t know if he had a shot or not.”

Hmm, well it’s up to the coaches who plays on Sundays. Perhaps Reese thinks Sintim deserves more of a chance – if he “grows up.”

And now the linebackers drafted by the Giants in the last 20 years
2010: Phillip Dillard (4th round), Adrian Tracy (6th)

2009: Clint Sintim (2nd)

2008: Bryan Kehl (4th), Jonathan Goff (5th)

2007: Zak DeOssie (4th)

2006: Gerris Wilkinson (3rd)

2005: None

2004: Reggie Torbor (3rd)

2003: None

2002: Nick Greisen (5th), Wes Mallard (6th), Quincy Monk (7th)

2001: None

2000: Brandon Short (4th), Dhani Jones (6th)

1999: O.J. Childress (7th)

1998: None

1997: Ryan Phillips (3rd), Pete Monty (4th)

1996: Doug Colman (6th), Scott Galyon (6th)

1995: Ben Talley (4th)

1994: None

1993: Marcus Buckley (3rd), Tommy Thigpen (5th), Jessie Armstead (8th)

1992: None

1991: Kanavis McGhee (2nd), Anthony Moss (5th), Corey Miller (6th)
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Linebackers Giats selected since 1991 Empty Re: Linebackers Giats selected since 1991

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 pm

This is certainly the case and I have alluded to this before.

The giants have invested a fair bit into LB over this time and only had one real stud LB.

3rd and 4th rounders are good picks for LBs, we should be able to find good starters there.

In some cases it is a case of poor identification of talent
(for example in 2004 I liked Demorrio Williams and Michael Boley in the 4th and 5th round over Torbor).

This, combined with a LB class without a lot of elite talent (and players similar to the guys we already have), is why I think we will overhaul the roster via free agency. (which we have done successfully with players like Pierce, Mitchell, Emmons and Barrow.

(btw Torbor was a 4th)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Linebackers Giats selected since 1991 Empty Re: Linebackers Giats selected since 1991

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Reese also has this dead right about Sintim.

“We want to see what those guys can do. And Clint Sintim is a guy that we want to see what he can do. He hasn’t played a lot and he got injured, so that hampered our evaluation of him.”

Now, the Sintim part is where things got interesting. Reese has challenged the 2009 pick in the past, saying he needs to learn to make opposing players’ “teeth rattle,” and he did so again today.

“I think he can do all of that, but I think it’s about growing up for him,” Reese said, echoing a sentiment Sintim expressed before last season. “He needs to grow up and play like the second-round player we think he is and give us that value and step in there and show us he can be a starter for us and play quality football for us.

“We picked him in the second round so we expect him to be an impact player for us and right now he hasn’t been able to do that. He flashed a little bit as a rookie but last year he didn’t get to play a lot because he was injured. So we’re hoping he can come back from his injury and look like a second-round pick.”

That’s kind of a misleading statement because Sintim didn’t tear his ACL until the Dec. 13 game against the Vikings. Before that, he played 13 games, mostly as a special teamer. And frankly, he entered training camp as the starter on the strong side (or weak side, depending on one’s perspective) but left the preseason as a backup after the team determined Jonathan Goff in the middle was a better option than Sintim on the outside, with Keith Bulluck sliding to Sintim’s spot.

“Well, it is what it is,” Reese replied when told Sintim had a chance to win a starting job. “You say he had a shot but he wasn’t out there. I don’t know if he had a shot or not.”

I think Sintim can be a stud LB for us, but he has to work his tail off to take his play to the next level.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:56 pm

This has been no secret, we suck at scouting LBs. I still think Sintim has a chance but its making it tough on him being in a 4-3 defense.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 am

I think part of our problem is that we didn't know what we wanted, we went for a lot of pass rushing hybrids or solid guys and not the stud natural LB.

A classic example is when we drafted Kiwanuka as a 4th DE over DeMeco Ryans who would have been the stud OLB we badly need.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 am

Big_Pete wrote:I think part of our problem is that we didn't know what we wanted, we went for a lot of pass rushing hybrids or solid guys and not the stud natural LB.

A classic example is when we drafted Kiwanuka as a 4th DE over DeMeco Ryans who would have been the stud OLB we badly need.

I agree with you here Pete. We have certainly had many opportunities. Sometimes you have to put need ahead of your talent board a little bit.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:11 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:I think part of our problem is that we didn't know what we wanted, we went for a lot of pass rushing hybrids or solid guys and not the stud natural LB.

I agree with you here Pete. We have certainly had many opportunities. Sometimes you have to put need ahead of your talent board a little bit.

a few guys I wanted us to draft

2004 - 4th round Demorrio Williams
2005 - 5th round Michael Boley
2006 - 1st round Demeco Ryans
2007 - 1st round Jon Beason
2008 - 2nd round Dan Connor
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:20 am

A few guys recently I wanted the giants to draft as linebackers.

AJ Hawk and Clay Mathews. Guess I should have been a Green Bay fan instead lol.

Pat Angerer last year in the later rounds.
Zak DeOssie in the later rounds. (which we got but for different reasons)

I had Zak Follet and Jason Philips in rd 3&5 in 2009. I went wrong there.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:17 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:A few guys recently I wanted the giants to draft as linebackers.

AJ Hawk and Clay Mathews. Guess I should have been a Green Bay fan instead lol.

Pat Angerer last year in the later rounds.
Zak DeOssie in the later rounds. (which we got but for different reasons)

I had Zak Follet and Jason Philips in rd 3&5 in 2009. I went wrong there.

I liked Hawk, but he was long gone.

I liked DeOssie and Angerer as well.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 am

I'm holding out hope for Goff, Armstead didn't really hit his stride until his 4th year.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 am

I wanted Thomas Howard a few years ago, if I recall correctly weren't you big on him Pete? And, is he a free agent this year?
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am

NYG Hampton 27 wrote:I wanted Thomas Howard a few years ago, if I recall correctly weren't you big on him Pete? And, is he a free agent this year?

Yeah I liked Thomas Howard.

I still think he would be a decent pick up as a cheap FA to backup and compete with Boley at WLB.

I think Howard is a good fit for Fewell's scheme
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:55 am

Big_Pete wrote:
NYG Hampton 27 wrote:I wanted Thomas Howard a few years ago, if I recall correctly weren't you big on him Pete? And, is he a free agent this year?

I still think he would be a decent pick up as a cheap FA to backup and compete with Boley at WLB.

I agree, I think he'd be great. Are teams able to sign FAs yet, to be honest I don't know much about the holdout situation, but I heard a just temporarily stopped the holdout recently.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:35 pm

NYG Hampton 27 wrote:I'm holding out hope for Goff, Armstead didn't really hit his stride until his 4th year.

I think Goff could be good, but I am not sold on him being MLB, I don't think he is vocal enough.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at SLB though.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:37 pm

NYG Hampton 27 wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:

I agree, I think he'd be great. Are teams able to sign FAs yet, to be honest I don't know much about the holdout situation, but I heard a just temporarily stopped the holdout recently.

Teams cannot sign players until free agency starts when the league year starts

it will depend on whether the NFL can get a stay while they appeal the decision to the 8th district court
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:59 pm

I actually think Goff's best position is at mlb. I like his leadership to put players in the right position. My only gripe with him is his athleticism.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down