TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

3rd round WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy

4 posters

Go down

3rd round WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy Empty 3rd round WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:02 am

This is a little surprised considering our depth at WR

but it is good to see NYG investing in special teams.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

3rd round WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy Empty Re: 3rd round WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:03 am

a good read

Speed Burst!
By Michael Eisen, Giants.com
Posted: April 29, 2011
258 0
Inside Giants.com Multimedia | Photo Gallery | Facebook
Avg. Rating EmptyEmptyEmptyEmptyEmpty
Print this Article (1)

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - After receiving a lot of production from Troy University players in recent seasons, the Giants reached down to the Alabama school to secure wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan with their third-round selection in the NFL Draft.
Mr. Mara

Jernigan, 5-8 and 181 pounds, was a four-year letterman and a three-year starter at Troy, the alma mater of two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora and dependable kicker Lawrence Tynes. He is a versatile player who will get an opportunity to help the Giants in 2011.

At Troy, Jernigan played in 50 games with 37 starts. He caught 262 passes for 3,128 yards, an 11.9-yard average, and 18 touchdowns. He was also the Trojans' wildcat quarterback, a role that enabled him to rush for 892 yards on 132 carries, a 6.8-yard average, and five touchdowns. Jernigan also completed seven of 10 passes in his career, including six of seven last season.

But that's not all he can do. Jernigan is an accomplished return man, no small detail for a Giants team that was 31st in the NFL in both kickoff and punt returns in 2010. He averaged 23.6 yards on 67 kickoff returns and 12.8 yards on 29 punt returns in his career.

"(We like) his versatility," said Marc Ross, the Giants' Director of College Scouting. "He's a little guy, but he's extremely fast. He's versatile. He's a wildcat quarterback, slot receiver, returns punts, returns kicks. I think he's the conference's all-time, all-purpose leader. High school quarterback. You love those types of guys. A great feel for the game. We had him in here. We did him at the combine. A great personality. A nice kid who's going to add some speed to our team on offense and special teams."

Ross said Jernigan can contribute on special teams beyond just returning kicks.

"He's tough enough to do the gunner stuff," Ross said. "They didn't have him do it there. You watch them play, he's on the field all the time – offense, wildcat, like I said. He's got the speed and toughness to run down as a gunner. He's going to have to earn it and he knows that. He has that mindset to do it."

In 2010, Jernigan played in 13 games with 11 starts and was named first team All-Sun Belt Conference as a receiver and all-purpose runner and second team as a kickoff returner. He set a school single-season record with 84 catches for 822 yards and six touchdowns. Jernigan finished fourth on the team with 45 carries for 322 yards (7.16-yard average) and three scores. He led the Sun Belt and ranked 14th in the nation with an average of 13.3 yards on 23 punt returns, scoring one touchdown, and finished fourth in the conference with 25 kickoff returns for 630 yards (25.2-yard average) and a school record 100-yard touchdown.

Read more: http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=44841#ixzz1Kz2i8M00
Giants Club Seats: For the best seats in the NEW GIANTS STADIUM, CLICK HERE
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:25 am

I was surprised to see the Giants take him. Does this spell the end for Domenik Hixon's return at kr/pr?

They say JJ can be a gunner but I doubt that's where he goes.
This kid was drafted to return kicks only this season.
Hixon will be a gunner and Jerrel will get his opportunity at wr next season when Manningham and Hixon leave to free agency.

Jernigan does have some nice moves. I like how he plays like a scatback and knows how to stay on his feet.

I wonder how Bad Steve Smith's injury really is? Maybe they think a guy like Jernigan can be that instant slot receiver if need be?
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 am

from all the info I have been hearing is that Steve Smith's injury is serious; from all reports it is microfracture surgery. Whilst I am confident he should recover, there is also a chance he will never be quite the same.

Regardless it is likely he will take some time to get healthy, personally I doubt he will be ready for the start of the season.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:34 pm

"He's tough enough to do the gunner stuff," Ross said. "They didn't have him do it there. You watch them play, he's on the field all the time – offense, wildcat, like I said. He's got the speed and toughness to run down as a gunner. He's going to have to earn it and he knows that. He has that mindset to do it."

So what your saying is . . . we drafted a gunner in the 3rd round. . . Perfect.

Question Mr. Ross, Is he tough enough to play LB?

I like JJ as a returner thats great we sucked there last year but to take one in the 3rd round? Spend one of those 6th round picks on one. As a receiver he may be the best slot receiver in the league but not with Eli at QB. Eli has to fix all his high passes first.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Pizan wrote:

So what your saying is . . . we drafted a gunner in the 3rd round. . . Perfect.

Question Mr. Ross, Is he tough enough to play LB?

I like JJ as a returner thats great we sucked there last year but to take one in the 3rd round? Spend one of those 6th round picks on one. As a receiver he may be the best slot receiver in the league but not with Eli at QB. Eli has to fix all his high passes first.

That was one of my first thoughts. Eli had trouble targeting Bradshaw because of his height at times.

And for another, we don't have a wild cat offense and doubt we ever will. Maybe one or two plays a year but certainly not enough to justify a 3rd rounder on.

That being said I think we can find some use with him on reverses and such. It should be interesting.

Which receiver do we cut that he can beat out? Hixon, Cruz, Barden?
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigblue25 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Big_Pete wrote:from all the info I have been hearing is that Steve Smith's injury is serious; from all reports it is microfracture surgery. Whilst I am confident he should recover, there is also a chance he will never be quite the same.

Regardless it is likely he will take some time to get healthy, personally I doubt he will be ready for the start of the season.

Smith is a free agent too, he might ask for a big deal and that would hard to come to terms with if he is injured. I love this pick, runs great routes out of the slot, similar to Smith only faster. Dallas and Philadelphia have nothing at safety, this guy should burn them. I do not see us risking at him at returner too much, he is probably our future, maybe even immediate slot guy
Bigblue25
Bigblue25
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down