TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Da'rel Scott working out with Ladanian Tomlinson

3 posters

Go down

Da'rel Scott working out with Ladanian Tomlinson Empty Da'rel Scott working out with Ladanian Tomlinson

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Giants rookie running back Da'Rel Scott learning from his idol, the Jets' LaDainian Tomlinson
Published: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 4:52 PM Updated: Friday, July 15, 2011, 4:20 AM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Giants rookie running back Da'Rel Scott, shown here mimicking LaDainian Tomlinson's touchdown celebration, has been working out with the Jets' back during the NFL lockout.

Da’Rel Scott was very eager for the chance to work with LaDainian Tomlinson — not just because of the teaching lesson the five-time Pro Bowl selection would provide but also because Tomlinson was Scott’s favorite running back growing up.

Except Scott left that last part out.

“I didn’t tell him that,” the Giants’ rookie running back said with a laugh today after a workout at TEST Sports Clubs in Martinsville. “We’re kind of like buds now. I can’t tell another man that, so I keep that to myself.

“It was just a blessing, just having him help me out. He’s a great back, a future Hall of Famer. I was just very blessed to be there.”

Scott should feel blessed to be working with a proven NFL runner while catching passes from a veteran quarterback — albeit Tomlinson and Mark Sanchez instead of the Giants’ Brandon Jacobs and Eli Manning. With the NFL lockout threatening to delay the start of training camps, any instruction and experience a seventh-round pick like Scott can receive will prepare him for his abbreviated opportunity to earn a roster spot.

Still, it’s not the same as a normal rookie offseason, and Scott will be one of many late-round picks and undrafted free agents who will suffer from the loss of offseason workouts, OTAs and minicamps.

“I’m not focusing on that. I’m giving it to God right now and letting him take care of it,” Scott said. “I’m just trying to take the negatives and make them into positives right now.”

Scott has done that by attending Eli Manning’s workouts in Hoboken this spring as well as the wider team workouts at Bergen Catholic in Oradell last month. During the latter sessions, Scott received a copy of a partial playbook, though he admits that doesn’t mean much without a coach to explain the concepts behind the Xs, Os and arrows on the sheet.

But he did get a chance to see how his responsibilities fit into the whole of the offense.

“You could look at the safeties and you could look at the linebackers,” Scott said. “It helped a lot, instead of just going against air, and you could visualize what you had to do.

“Safeties, they disguise it very, very well at the next level. You could tell they were playing me a little bit. They would rotate and then rotate again. That kind of gave me a little more, kind of just knowing what’s going to happen.”

Scott, a self-proclaimed “rep guy” who learns by “taking reps and asking questions,” hopes his progression will soon continue on a practice field with his Giants teammates. At this point, he’d like to simply meet Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw (if he doesn’t leave via free agency, of course).

In the meantime, he’ll settle for some on-field time with his idol.

“He knew who I was,” Scott said of Tomlinson, “so that made it a hundred times better.”

After my interview with Scott, I spent a few minutes chatting with TEST’s founder and CEO Brian Martin, who told me both Tomlinson and Sanchez have been impressed with Scott’s quickness on the field. (The players work out at a local high school under Martin's supervision.) Martin said Sanchez told him Scott definitely has the burst to be an effective NFL back.

Scott knows he must work on the mental part of his game, particularly with his pass protections, and also on gripping the ball better. Martin said he’s been swiping at the football when Scott runs past him and has been emphasizing the “five points of pressure” to cure Scott’s fumbling issues, which plagued him last season.

“I’m taking it personally,” Martin said of Scott’s ball security.

So will Tom Coughlin. Trust me.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Da'rel Scott working out with Ladanian Tomlinson Empty Re: Da'rel Scott working out with Ladanian Tomlinson

Post  Pizan Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:09 pm

He definitely has the work ethic and drive to be great. Not too mention the speed.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Da'rel Scott working out with Ladanian Tomlinson Empty Re: Da'rel Scott working out with Ladanian Tomlinson

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 am

Pizan wrote:He definitely has the work ethic and drive to be great. Not too mention the speed.

He also has a very decent skill set. I like the fact that he has just gotten in there and worked hard, great attitude.

I think he could end up a steal.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:57 am

Scott will be a nice 3rd down option to have. Besides Bradshaw we really don't have another third down running back who can catch and run upfield quickly.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down