TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Poll - what should we do with Osi

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What should we do with Osi

Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Bar_left40%Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Bar_right 40% 
[ 2 ]
Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Bar_left20%Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Bar_right 20% 
[ 1 ]
Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Bar_left40%Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Bar_right 40% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Empty Re: Poll - what should we do with Osi

Post  Pizan Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:27 pm

I guess when you look at it Osi doesn't need to be friends with Reese as long as he's cool with TC. We don't need disgruntled players being locker room distractions though. So it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Poll - what  should we do with Osi - Page 2 Empty Re: Poll - what should we do with Osi

Post  Pizan Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 pm

According to Clayton the Giants said to Osi during the meeting that if we would trade him we would want a 1st. Clayton mentioned Seattle.

1st Thoughts:

Shows our willingness to comply with Osi but we want something out of it too. It also shows we do value Osi highly and expect to get something good in return. If we get no bits on a 1st it shows we aren't the only team who thinks he isn't worth that top 5 contract and its best if he sticks around here.

2nd Thought:

Tatupu has yet to be officially released I wonder if we are working a trade, possibly Tatupu and a 2nd for Osi?
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Pizan wrote:According to Clayton the Giants said to Osi during the meeting that if we would trade him we would want a 1st. Clayton mentioned Seattle.

1st Thoughts:

Shows our willingness to comply with Osi but we want something out of it too. It also shows we do value Osi highly and expect to get something good in return. If we get no bits on a 1st it shows we aren't the only team who thinks he isn't worth that top 5 contract and its best if he sticks around here.

2nd Thought:

Tatupu has yet to be officially released I wonder if we are working a trade, possibly Tatupu and a 2nd for Osi?

I'd rather not, we can wait for Tatupu to be released.

I think Osi can get us a way better return.

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Ty Warren thinks the Pats are moving to a 4-3, and they have two 1st rounders..

the other possibility is the Bengals, they have $48m in cap room and released DE Odom, Osi would be a real nice fit there
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Giants tell Osi to find a trade partner.

Giants give Osi Umenyiora OK to seek trade, Big Blue wants 'at least' a first round pick in return

BY Ralph Vacchiano
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 1st 2011, 12:10 PM

If Osi Umenyiora wants to leave the Giants, he now has permission to find the door.

The agent for the disgruntled defensive end was officially given permission to seek a trade, if that's what he wants, according to two sources familiar with the situation. Umenyiora's agent, Tony Agnone, began making phone calls to other teams on Monday, the source said. The Giants are looking for "at least" a first-round pick in the trade, which was first reported by ESPN. And according to one of the sources, the Giants may not be inclined to settle for less.

The Giants don't particularly want to trade the 29-year-old Umenyiora, but the situation between him and the organization appears to have reached a breaking point, despite what Tom Coughlin said was a "good" conversation on Saturday night between Umenyiora and GM Jerry Reese. According to a source close to Umenyiora, he used the conversation to simply reiterate his demands that Reese honor a promise to renegotiate his contract or trade him.

Umenyiora has two years and $7.1 million remaining on his deal, which is far below market value for a Pro Bowl defensive end. In fact, that market has exploded in recent years. A few days ago, the Carolina Panthers re-signed defensive end Charles Johnson to a six-year, $72 million contract with $21 million in guaranteed money. Johnson, entering his fifth year, had 11-1/2 sacks last season - the same total as Umenyiora had last season.

It's not clear who would be interested in parting with a first-rounder for nine-year veteran like Umenyiora, who missed the 2008 season with knee surgery and is coming off offseason hip surgery and has not been officially cleared to practice yet. There was a report that the Seattle Seahawks were a possibility. One NFL source said the Atlanta Falcons were monitoring the Umenyiora situation before they signed defenisve end Ray Edwards (five years, $30 million).

Don't rule out the St. Louis Rams, who reportedly have some cap room to play with and have former Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo as their head coach.

As for the Giants, it doesn't appear that they will be willing to meet Umenyiora's contract demands, even if they wanted to do it. In an interview with WFAN this morning, Reese said the Giants may actually still be over the salary cap. That's not good news considering they still need to sign a running back, a tight end, their first-round pick, and probably a bunch of depth players, too.

It's not clear if the Giants set any deadline for Umenyiora to find a willing trade partner for the Giants. However, one source said that Umenyiora is expected to remain in training camp and will likely refrain from speaking to the media until the situation is resolved. It's not clear whether he will practice in the mean time - either due to this situation or due to his hip.

This news was first reported in The Blue Screen

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/08/01/2011-08-01_giants_give_osi_umenyiora_ok_to_seek_trade_big_blue_wants_at_least_a_first_round.html#ixzz1TntuDyi8
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 pm

I think Osi will end up being traded.

Quality DEs like him do not hit the open market
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:33 pm

ESPNs John Clayton is tweeting that Osi wants a trade to Seattle.

That sounds like a good fit for both
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:26 am

What kind of return can we expect from them?

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:34 am

Right now a 2nd round pick and a 4th or a player. We want a first but its being reported we wont get that. Only team who could do that would be the Pats. Other wise Denver or Seattle will offer at best a 2nd and a 4th/player.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 am

Pizan's probably right, but I doubt trade Osi for less than that imho

which is why I think a player is going to be part of the deal.

the most likely is for a LB like Curry, Hawthorne or Rivers.

The Pats could pony up a 1st, but otherwise the best may be a 2nd and a player
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:18 am

There has been the expected talk about the Patriots, Ravens, Falcons, Seahawks, even the Rams and Broncos and all make sense.

What about the Raiders? trading for Osi is exactly an Al Davis kind of move
and they have enough cap room to make it happen.....

Seymour and Umenyiora at DE would be a vicous tandem particularly in a wide open division.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Denver, and Baltimore.

If I'm Reese these are trades I'm pushing for from each of these teams.

Denver - D.J. Williams for Osi
Ravens - Ngata for Osi and Webster
St. Louis - 2nd and a 4th
Seattle - 2nd and TE John Carlson
San Diego - 2nd and DT Antonio Garay

Last edited by Pizan on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Rumors say the Jets are also interested in Osi. They might be willing to give up a first.

Personally I don't want to make a trade with them their pick will likely be a late first rounder anyway.

Ideally its a trade with the Pats and all their draft picks.

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Pizan wrote:St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Denver, and Baltimore.

If I'm Reese these are trades I'm pushing for from each of these teams.

Denver - D.J. Williams for Osi
Ravens - Ngata for Osi and Webster
St. Louis - 2nd and a 4th
Seattle - 2nd and TE John Carlson
San Diego - 2nd and DT Antonio Garay

I like the Ravens, Seattle and Denver options.

The others are ok.

The other Denver LB I like is Wesley Woodyard
He is an RFA, so a 2nd and LB Wesley Woodyard would be a good deal imho
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Osi’s agent running out of time to find a trade partner
Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2011, 7:49 PM EDT

The Giants have given the agent for defensive end Osi Umenyiora a window of opportunity for finding a trade partner.

Eventually, that window will close.

“It’s not going to be long now,’’ agent Tony Agnone told Paul Schwartz of the New York Post.

Agnone told Schwartz that he has spoken to 21 teams about a possible trade. “Just trying to convince them to give up that elusive first-round pick,’’ Agnone said. “Still working on it.’’

An equal if not bigger impediment surely will be finding a team willing to give Umenyiora a contract in the same ballpark as the one signed last week by Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson. A one-year full-time starter, Johnson parlayed 11.5 sacks into a six-year, $76 million deal, with a $30 million signing bonus and a total of $32 million guaranteed.

“How does a guy who had one good year [no disrespect to Charles Johnson] sign a deal and make more than both me and [Justin] Tuck combined?” Umenyiora wrote in an e-mail to the Associated Press on Monday. “It’s not right.”

What Umenyiora apparently doesn’t realize is that public complaints of this nature won’t do much to soften up a new team’s wallet. Umenyiora has been unhappy with his current deal since not long after he signed it. Even if Umenyiora is content with his new contract if he ever gets to a new city, it’s fair for his prospective new team to wonder what else he’ll complain about — especially if he receives the kind of contract that makes him essentially bulletproof.

Bottom line? He has about as much of a shot at Charles Johnson money as Ahmad Bradshaw had at getting DeAngelo Williams money.

And as to Umenyiora’s assertion that contracts aren’t a two-way street, with teams able to walk away but players forced to stick it out, that’s an issue the players could have pursued in the recently-completed CBA talks. But the players have recently reaffirmed their commitment to the system about which Umenyiora is complaining, and Umenyiora specifically signed off on the one-way nature of player contracts when he applied his John Hancock to the settlement of the Brady class action lawsuit.

That makes it very hard for his complaints to gain any traction whatsoever.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:35 pm

I just read that and was going to post it, looks like Osi could be back which is great
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:41 pm

from insidefootball.com

Game Over for Osi? The real chess match between the Giants and disgruntled DE Osi Umenyiora continues to take odd twists and turns.

Umenyiora has yet to practice as he awaits either a pay raise or a trade to team that will give him a contract equivalent to what the Top 5 defensive ends make. The Giants have reportedly granted the defensive end’s agent, Tony Agnone, permission to seek a trade; however, New York has held firm in seeking a number one draft pick in return for Umenyiora, which they’re probably not likely to get.

After not receiving any offers, it is possible that the Giants are trying to drive home a point to Umenyiora’s camp that he’s not worth the big money he believes he’s entitled to. Meanwhile, rumors surfaced that Seattle might be willing to acquire Umenyiora in exchange for TE John Carlson and a draft pick.

The Giants could very well be enticed by the opportunity to add Carlson in the event that they are unable to resign Boss, though the latter is still a better player. Umenyiora has reportedly expressed a desire for playing for the Seahawks.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:24 am

Report: Giants drop price tag for Osi
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2011, 12:11 AM EDT

The Giants reportedly had wanted a first-round pick for disgruntled defensive end Osi Umenyiora. Now, the Giants reportedly want a second-round pick for Osi.

The new report comes from Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun, who also reports that the Ravens and Patriots are two of the teams considering making the deal. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News has reported that the Rams, Chargers, Seahawks, and Broncos also are interested.

The bigger impediment remains making Umenyiora happy with a new contract. Per Preston, the Ravens likely would have to sign defensive tackle Haloti Ngata to a new deal that would drop his cap number from that eight-figure franchise tender.

Even then, it’s a risk, given Umenyiora’s injury history. Still, Preston reports that several of the Ravens’ bigwigs are urging G.M. Ozzie Newsome to do the deal.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:31 am

very interesting, looks like we want to move on. I think a deal will get done.

The Pats in particular have a bunch of picks.

I hope we look at Matt Roth though
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 am

I'd rather trade Osi than have a disgruntled player all year. Keep in mind if he has a bad season his trade value will drop tremendously.

I think the relationship with him is beyond repair, as much as I love the guy he needs to be shipped out.

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 am

The other resolution I could see is reworking his deal, increasing the money a little and adding incentives plus dropping off the final year, which would make him an UFA after this season

That would give Osi more money, and guarantee he gets his payday next year. plus NYG would have a very motivated DE (both to reach incentives and maximise his value for his next deal).
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:29 am

^^ Mike Garafolo suggested that.

Trade Osi and sign either Andre Carter or Matt Roth. I'd prefer Matt Roth but he still has a shot at starting somewhere else and said he prefers to play in the 3-4.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:13 am

Pizan wrote:^^ Mike Garafolo suggested that.

Trade Osi and sign either Andre Carter or Matt Roth. I'd prefer Matt Roth but he still has a shot at starting somewhere else and said he prefers to play in the 3-4.

oh didn't realise that. it is becoming a non-win situation for osi, and was just thinking of options

oh well

Matt Roth is the guy I would prefer
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Giants tell Osi Umenyiora, agent they are no longer allowed to seek trade
Published: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 1:23 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 4:11 PM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

1:51 p.m. UPDATED with confirmation from Umenyiora's agent.

The window for the Giants to trade Osi Umenyiora has apparently closed.

The team informed the two-time Pro Bowl defensive end today he and his agent are no longer allowed to seek a trade partner, according to someone informed of the conversation between the two camps today.

The person, who requested anonymity because the talks were to remain private, said the team's reasoning was Umenyiora's agent, Tony Agnone, has been unable to find a team willing to give up a first-round pick. A report in the Baltimore Sun Tuesday said the Giants had lowered their asking price for Umenyiora, though today's decision demonstrates the team's valuation of Umenyiora on the trade market has not changed.

Reached via text message early this afternoon, Agnone confirmed the team has told him to stop looking for a trade.

The team's decision to take the trade off the table is a sign they're looking to nip this distraction in the bud, though it might only serve to further escalate Umenyiora's anger over his claim the Giants promised to restructure his contract. If so, that might speed up the process here and bring a suspension for "conduct detrimental to the team" in play.

Umenyiora will earn $7.1 million in base salary over the next two years combined, a mark the player believes undervalues his contributions to the team.

Umenyiora has been in camp since Saturday but has not participated in any practices because of an undisclosed injury. Fellow defensive end Justin Tuck believes Umenyiora is healthy enough to practice and the Giants have been unwilling to confirm he has an injury.

Though Tuck clearly would like a focused Umenyiora back on the field, he understands why he's taking the approach he's taken and doesn't want to interfere in another player's contract dispute. Other teammates have echoed that sentiment, and new alternate player rep Zak DeOssie said Umenyiora's stance is "completely justifiable."

Last edited by Pizan on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Giants give Osi Umenyiora the evening off to 'clear his head'
Published: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 4:37 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 5:19 PM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

There's a chess match going on between the Giants and Osi Umenyiora. And today, the team has made a pair of moves in an attempt to force a checkmate.

After telling his agent he can no longer search for a trade partner, the Giants gave Umenyiora the rest of the day off, according to someone informed of the communication between the sides today. The person, who requested anonymity because neither side has spoken in depth about the situation publicly, said Umenyiora was told to "clear his head" before returning to work Thursday.
New York Giants players reflect on the Osi Umenyiora contract situation New York Giants players reflect on the Osi Umenyiora contract situation New York Giants players Eli Manning, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Terrell Thomas talk about the contract and trade situation with Osi Umenyiora. Umenyiora is at camp but has not practiced and wants to renegotiate his contract. (Video by Joe Proudman/The Star-Ledger) Watch video

The team's dismissal of Umenyiora for the day is a clear statement they want him back tomorrow with a fresh, motivated attitude. It's another indication we could soon be headed toward a suspension for "conduct detrimental to the team." If it gets that far, the Giants can point to today and say they gave Umenyiora plenty of time to come around on this issue.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum