TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

How the 53 man roster is shaping up

5 posters

Go down

How the 53 man roster is shaping up Empty How the 53 man roster is shaping up

Post  Big_Pete Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:59 am

Here is my take on predicting the 53 man roster.

I do think Osi could end up being traded, or in the end there will be some resolution.
I also think a DE will be signed, quite possibly Andre Carter (who has visited the Giants and also knows the NFC East) as insurance for Osi and to allow Kiwi to focus on SLB a little more.
Naturally if Kevin Boss resigned, it would be a bonus

53 Man Roster

Offense (25)

• QB - Eli Manning, David Carr/Sage Rosenfals
  • RB - Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, DJ Ware/Da'rel Scott/Charles Scott
  • FB - Henry Hynoski
  • WR - Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Domenik Hixon, Jerrell Jernigan, Victor Cruz/Devin Thomas
  • TE - Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe, Jake Ballard
  • RT - Kareem McKenzie, Stacey Andrews
  • RG - Chris Snee, Kevin Boothe
  • OC - David Baas, Adam Koets
  • LG - David Diehl, Mitch Petrus
  • LT - Will Beatty, James Brewer/Jamon Meredith

Defense (25)

• DE - Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson/Alex Hall
  • NT - Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard/Gabe Watson
  • UT - Chris Canty,
  • SLB - Matthias Kiwanuka, Clint Sintim/Adrian Tracy
  • MLB - Jon Goff, Mark Herzlich, Greg Jones
  • WLB - Michael Boley, Jacquain Williams/Spencer Paysinger
  • CB - Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Lito Sheppard*, Prince Amukamara, Michael Coe, Brian Stillman/Joe Burnett/Brian Jackson/Cary Harris
  • SS - Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Tyler Sash
  • FS - Antrell Rolle, Derrick Martin/Jarrad Tarrant/David Sims

* Lito Sheppard is not signed yet, but it will be either him or another free agent of some kind.

Special Teams (3)

• K - Lawrence Tynes
  • P - Matt Dodge/Steve Weatherford
  • LS - Zak DeOssie

Injured Reserve

• CB Terrell Thomas
  • CB Bruce Johnson
  • DT Marvin Austin

Practice Squad

• C Jim Cordle
  • T Jarriel King
  • LB Kenny Ingram
  • LB Adrian Tracy
  • DE Ayanga Okpokowuruk
  • LB Spencer Paysinger
  • QB Ryan Perriloux

Last edited by Big_Pete on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

How the 53 man roster is shaping up Empty Re: How the 53 man roster is shaping up

Post  Big_Pete Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:42 am

updated for Tollefson, Patrick

Canty is taking reps at UT with Joseph at NT
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

How the 53 man roster is shaping up Empty Re: How the 53 man roster is shaping up

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:16 pm

updated for Grant signing
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:46 am

I think we use Carr or Sage as trade bait and stash Perriloux on the ps.

Hynoski may get replaced with Pascoe who's been working with the one's at camp. Hynoski to the ps.
Ballard will be our starting traditional TE.

Watson has been playing UT behind Canty and I think he sticks.
Bernard will get cut imo.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 pm

It obvious we aren't happy with our DT situation. Jimmy Kennedy was brought in for a workout.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Pizan wrote:It obvious we aren't happy with our DT situation. Jimmy Kennedy was brought in for a workout.

hmm didn't know that, it doesn't bode well for Bernard and Watson
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 am

You'd think DT is one of our stronger positions with the way we've loaded up there.

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 am

uzi716 wrote:You'd think DT is one of our stronger positions with the way we've loaded up there.
I think we will be just fine there.
Joseph and Austin both look strong in there and Canty looked good in game one of preseason.
There will also be many plays where one of those guys come out and Tuck slides over.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:43 pm

uzi716 wrote:You'd think DT is one of our stronger positions with the way we've loaded up there.

Of the bunch we have 3 nosetackles and 2 undertackles. 1 of the UTs are basically useless (benard) and the other is a rookie who was outta football last year. So far all camp and the preseason game we are trying to figure out which one of the NTs (Canty, Joseph, Watson) plays UT best. None have overly impressed. Watch how Austin gets off the ball and then watch his first step, thats how a UT is supposed to work and thats coming from an inconsistent out of shape rookie. Canty and Joseph need to get better at that.

Tuck played UT in our nickle packages in the first preseason game with Kiwi and JPP at DE.

We move guys around well for different looks and situations. I think we'll be fine mostly because Austin looks like the real deal but you can tell why they are concerned. Last thing you want is to be predictable and thats the problem our defense faces.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I agree there isn't too much of an issue here, we will use our DEs inside a fair bit in various situations.

I could see it shaping up something like this

1st and 2nd downs = big packages with Kiwi at SLB, Canty at UT and Joseph at NT (which has been happening with the ones)

3rd downs = passing packages

Grant comes in as third safety, Tuck moves to UT; maybe Kiwi slided in for a 4 DE Dline with Boley and Goff or maybe even Paysinger at LB.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:15 pm

From what I remember, the Giants used Bernard as the nt behind Joseph in the first pre season game. He got very little penetration and just looked average. In his defense, he did accumulate a sack, but that could have been anybodys really.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Pete, thats exactly the problem. Being predictable. If we can come up with a good idea what our defense will look like each down, just imagine what an NFL coaching staff will know.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:18 am

Pizan wrote:Pete, thats exactly the problem. Being predictable. If we can come up with a good idea what our defense will look like each down, just imagine what an NFL coaching staff will know.

I agree, but you can imaginen they will also rotate guys in and out a little, but the core of each package is what it is
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Pizan wrote:It obvious we aren't happy with our DT situation. Jimmy Kennedy was brought in for a workout.

Garafolo is reporting we will sign Kennedy

I think the front office is happy with Canty and Austin at UT

But I think it is more a case of the front office being unhappy with the NT depth behind Joseph, obviously Bernard and Watson have underwhelmed.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  jwmann2 Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 am

Keeping Osi would be huge for the Giants but it looks like he has outgrown the franchise.

jwmann2
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down