TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Draft day trade idea

3 posters

Go down

Draft day trade idea Empty Draft day trade idea

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:20 am

There have been rumours that the Rams could be willing to trade RB Steven Jackson if they draft Trent Richardson in the first round.

If that happens, how about trading Osi Umenyiora for Steven Jackson ?

Jackson will be a 29 year old RB before the season, so although he has a few years left his production is likely to start declining in the near future. Osi is 31 but certainly has a few years left performing at a very high level. You can bet that Jeff Fisher knows the value of a quality edge rusher. James Hall is 35 and Robert Quinn is very raw. Chris Long and Osi as starters with Hall and Quinn rotating in, is a pretty good DE rotation. Osi would also be a good mentor for Quinn. Osi in the NFC West could be the difference between a solid and good defense and maybe enough to win their division.

Jackson's contract is 2012-2013: $7 million (Voidable Years), 2014: Free Agent

The Rams could get Osi and then rework his deal for similar money to Jackson's current contract.

Jackson would likely become the starter with Bradshaw as the change up in a very good 1-2 punch.

any thoughts?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Draft day trade idea Empty Re: Draft day trade idea

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Love Jackson but not at 7 million this season. Would rather see the Giants add some youth back there and pay Osi his 4 million for one more season.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:13 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Love Jackson but not at 7 million this season. Would rather see the Giants add some youth back there and pay Osi his 4 million for one more season.

Jackson is reportedly not happy with how his contract is structured and wants to rework it.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 am

Honestly I'd probably pass. Unless this is the only trade we could get for Osi. I just don't like Jacksons contract nor his age. He has a lot of wear n tear on him. We'd maybe get 2 possibly 3 years max from him if we pair him with Bradshaw.. If we traded Osi for a draft pick we could get possibly 10 years outta that pick.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:48 am

Pizan wrote:Honestly I'd probably pass. Unless this is the only trade we could get for Osi. I just don't like Jacksons contract nor his age. He has a lot of wear n tear on him. We'd maybe get 2 possibly 3 years max from him if we pair him with Bradshaw.. If we traded Osi for a draft pick we could get possibly 10 years outta that pick.

The counter argument is that any draft pick is a roll of the dice there is no guarantee. Sure rookie RBs can impact in the running game, but they usually take time to pick up pass protections etc. Also there is no guarantee with any rookie after 4 years when their rookie contract is up.

I think a rotational situation would be good for Jackson, but the contact is an issue and would likely need to be reworked. I think he can be productive for 3-4 years, particularly if we lighten is workload a little. The other factor is that Jackson is very productive in the passing game averaging 46 rec/375 yds a season.

To me, Jackson ticks what we need.
1. A physical RB to replace Jacobs' physical style that punishes defenses
2. A workhorse with the ability to carry the load (we can't rely on Bradshaw to stay healthy)
3. He rarely fumbles
4. A legitimate weapon in the passing game.
5. He's versatile, we can run almost any play when Jackson is in the game. This will really help solve our predictability.
6. He is proven and ready to go from the get go

We already have a lethal passing game, adding a 1-2 RB combination with Jackson and Bradshaw will make it harder to defend.

We know Jackson is productive when he carries the entire offense (lets face it, the Rams have had no real passing game), he will be even more effective in an offense with other legitimate weapons.

I understand the desire to look long term, but I really think adding Jackson to the offense gives us a very good shot at defending our title.

I actually like Bradshaw better as the #2/ complementary back.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:45 am

You make all good points Pete. But for me, I don't like seeing any runningback making more than 3-4 mil. a season unless they are super special.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:00 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:You make all good points Pete. But for me, I don't like seeing any runningback making more than 3-4 mil. a season unless they are super special.

I am pretty sure Brandon Jacobs had a $6.5mil cap number this year.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
I am pretty sure Brandon Jacobs had a $6.5mil cap number this year.
Sucks to be him.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down