TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Similar topics
Training Camp Updates

Giants pay Osi

3 posters

Go down

Giants pay Osi Empty Giants pay Osi

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:51 am

Osi and the Giants have agreed to a new deal.

reportededly it will pay Osi in the $7-$7.5m range in 2012 with Osi hitting free agency next year.

Either way the drama is over and Osi is a giant this season.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants pay Osi Empty Re: Giants pay Osi

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:04 am

Not sure I quite understand why the Giants paid Osi that much without extending the years too. Oh well, hopefully the whining has finally come to an end.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:12 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Not sure I quite understand why the Giants paid Osi that much without extending the years too. Oh well, hopefully the whining has finally come to an end.

We don't know the detail, but we all know Osi is worth more than he was getting. This gets Osi in camp and everyone moving towards the season without distraction.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:34 am

JPP, Nicks, Cruz, and the list could go on are all worth more than they are getting too but doesn't mean we should pay them more too right now.

Just don't like it. The Giants folded and didn't show a good example to the next player that shouts out demands.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:JPP, Nicks, Cruz, and the list could go on are all worth more than they are getting too but doesn't mean we should pay them more too right now.

Just don't like it. The Giants folded and didn't show a good example to the next player that shouts out demands.

It avoids disruption and gets a quality passrusher on board.

We still are paying Tuck, Canty, Rolle, Snee and Manning more $$

heck we paid Jacobs more money than Osi was on. The flip side is to look at the deals the league's top pass rushers are signing, compared to them Osi is very cheap.

Mario Williams (6 years, $100 million; $50 million guaranteed) - signed 2012
Charles Johnson (6 years, 72 million, $32 million guaranteed) - signed 2011
DeMarcus Ware (7 years, $79 million, $40 million guaranteed) - signed in 2009
Terrell Suggs (6 years, $62.5 million, $38.1 million guaranteed) - signed 2009
Jared Allen (6 years, $73 million contract, $31 million guaranteed) - signed in 2008
Cliff Avril (1 year, $10.6million (franchise tag))
Kamerion Wimbley (5 years, $35 million) - signed 2012

Osi is an elite passrusher and has been paid well below what the elite guys have been getting for several years.

I don't begrudge Osi's pay day, he has earned it. 31 other teams would happily pay at least as much for Osi

Osi is only 30 and has 69 career sacks. Strahan had 57 more sacks after the same age and Osi is in what is very likely going to be a lethal pass rush. Lets not forget both Tuck and Osi are finally healthy. I thnk around 64+ sacks is very realistic.

The difference is that JPP, Cruz and Nicks. are on their rookie deals. They will get their paydays for sure.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:10 pm

yep, all on their rookie deals and likely the Giants don't re-sign them all back. much like they didn't Steve Smith and Mario Manningham.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if all three rookies are resigned. All three come off contract in different years.
Smith wasn't resigned due to his medical situation, Mario we just couldn't afford.

I think the key with Osi is to get him on board so we can build on what we had last year. If heathy (touch wood), we have the best pass rush in the league and potentially one of the best in franchise history.

We have four experienced DEs capable of double digit sacks and all four will hit the field in passing situations.
Factor in Boley, Rivers and Williams as our two LBs
Webster, Thomas and Amukamara at CB
Phillips, Rolle and Sash at safety

That's a pretty darn good passing defense.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:31 pm

A further update, the Giants didn't adjust their offer, Osi just believed it was time.

from espn.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Osi Umenyiora says the New York Giants did not change anything from previous contract offers they pitched to him, but the defensive end just decided enough was enough and it was time to put his contract squabble to an end.

Saying that he has no hard feelings over his long contract dispute, Umenyiora returned to the Giants and joined his teammates on the field during the team's organized team activities Monday.

"(This) could have been done a long time ago," Umenyiora said in his first comments to reporters since agreeing to restructure the final year of his contract last Friday. "Honestly seeing the way my teammates Kiwi (Mathias Kiwanuka) and JP (Jason Pierre-Paul) and Antrel (Rolle), seeing the way they had my back, you need to get this done and the way they were talking, it made me realize it was more important to have teammates like that and be on a team like this then fighting and haggling over a couple of extra dollars.

“ It just wasn't going to happen. But I understood completely their perspective. ” -- Giants DE Osi Umenyiora
on long-term contract extension

"It really wasn't worth for me to go somewhere else," he continued. "This is my 10th year here and I have had a great time here and I want it to continue and I feel like something special is being built over here and I just much rather be here than continue to fight and face all the negativity and criticism over really what amounted to be nothing."

The Super Bowl champs were one big happy family again on Monday. As Umenyiora met with a horde of reporters, Pierre-Paul welcomed Umenyiora back with a shout in the locker room. Teammates like Kiwanuka, Rolle and Justin Tuck all backed Umenyiora's desire for a new contract in recent weeks and hoped that the two sides would find a resolution soon.

"Very good to have him out there," coach Tom Coughlin said Monday. "There is never any question about Osi preparation-wise. He is a tremendous studier of the opponent. He knows exactly what his thoughts are going into the game and how the game plan fits. He will always do that, but to get back into a football frame of mind -- and a positive one at that -- it is a very good thing."

Umenyiora did not get into specifics of his new restructured contract but confirmed 2012 will remain the final year of his deal. The defensive end made it clear he holds no grudges toward the Giants and left the door open for the possibility of re-signing with the Giants after this season.

Umenyiora's deal bumps his 2012 pay from $4.725 million to $6.5 million through a combination of salary, per-game roster bonuses and sack incentives, sources confirmed to ESPN sports business analyst Andrew Brandt.

The deal offers no franchise tag limitation, sources told Brandt.

Some of the salary was converted to the signing bonus offered; a voidable 2013 year was also added in order to create some cap room, the sources said.

When asked if the Giants offered any more money above their original offers made in the past, Umenyiora replied, "Nah, not at all."

Umenyiora has long sought a new contract to replace the seven-year, $41 million deal he signed in 2005. He wanted a contract extension similar to the four-year extensions Philadelphia's Trent Cole signed worth $48.525 million, including $15 million guaranteed. Umenyiora also mentioned Indianapolis' Robert Mathis' recent four-year extension worth $36 million with $17 million guaranteed as a measuring stick for what he wanted.

"It just wasn't going to happen," Umenyiora said of his desire for a big contract extension. "But I understood completely their perspective."

"If I was them I'd do the same thing," he added. "I mean obviously you have Tuck, who's the face of the franchise and you have JPP who's a young phenom. I'm still a very good football player but you can't pay us all that kind of money. You're gonna hamstring your franchise so I would make the exact same decisions if I was them, no question."

Umenyiora said his longtime agent Tony Agnone would not sign off on the restructured deal so he decided to temporarily part ways with Agnone to come to the Giants' terms. The defensive end, though, plans to re-hire Agnone for future contract negotiations.

Last year, Umenyiora held out the first few weeks at training camp. Agnone was briefly allowed to seek a trade but no team was willing to offer a first-round pick in return. Umenyiora returned for three practices before opting for minor knee surgery after experiencing swelling in his knee.

Umenyiora apparently was not looking forward to going through another camp holdout.

"Last summer was different, what I was looking for last year and what I was looking for this year are completely different," said Umenyiora. "Things change. This year there was no way they were going to be able to give me a contract extension in line of what other people were getting."

Umenyiora had nine sacks in nine regular-season games in 2011 and another 3.5 sacks during New York's run to a Super Bowl title last potseason. Umenyiora, 30, said there were no promises made by the organization not to use its franchise tag on him next season, but he won't be upset if that happens.

Umenyiora said it will not be a problem coming off the bench.

"Really if it was anybody but JPP and Tuck then it would matter," said Umenyiora, who took first-team reps at defensive end with Tuck watching from the sideline to rest his shoulder. "But those are my brothers, man. If they're starting I don't care. I'll back those guys up happily."

Umenyiora was asked if he thinks he is worth more than what he will be playing for this season. The defensive end said all that matters is that he is happy to be back.

"Um, it doesn't matter, man," Umenyiora said. "I signed it. I'm here. Whatever I feel means nothing at this point. I'm happy with it."

"This is good for me, I'm happy," he continued. "And more importantly, it's the team I'm on and the guys who I'm playing with. Justin and JPP and Kiwi, we're all brothers and for all of us to be able to go out and play together is more important than anything."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:03 am

It makes you wonder why the hell was Osi bitching about that deal in the first place.. Just to get his name in the headlines, to create a little stir? Very Strahan like. Difference between Stra and Osi though, Stra actually defended the run. Osi has to realize he's just a good pass rusher. You can't mention him in the same breath as Ware, Suggs, Williams, and Allen because those guys are all around good players, not just pass rushers. But I'm finally glad this drama is behind them.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:18 am

Pizan wrote:It makes you wonder why the hell was Osi bitching about that deal in the first place.. Just to get his name in the headlines, to create a little stir? Very Strahan like. Difference between Stra and Osi though, Stra actually defended the run. Osi has to realize he's just a good pass rusher. You can't mention him in the same breath as Ware, Suggs, Williams, and Allen because those guys are all around good players, not just pass rushers. But I'm finally glad this drama is behind them.

From all reports Osi's agent wouldn't let Osi sign a sub par deal.

But I think there was a factor that Osi wasn't getting the kind if interest he was expecting last year. The agent talk is all about Osi saving face (making the agent look like the bad guy.

I think this is a fair deal for all parties and honestly wouldn't be surprised if Osi stuck around for similar money next year. It wasn't long ago Osi was talking about wanting to start, now he is happy to be a backup, although he will get a lot of snaps.

I'm just glad we can forget about this crap and focus on football.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down