TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

how the positional battles shape up for camp

3 posters

Go down

how the positional battles shape up for camp Empty how the positional battles shape up for camp

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:19 am

I have looked at the likely roster battles as we head into training camp in the near future. What impressed me is the mix of experience and young talent at most positions. There will be some tough battles in camp again this year.
The key as usual will be keeping players healthy.

Here is my view of the positional depth at the moment and my guess for the number of final roster spots at each position

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr, Ryan Perrilloux

RB (4): Ahmad Bradshaw, David Wilson, D.J. Ware, Da’Rel Scott, Andre Brown
FB (1): Henry Hynoski, Joe Martinek

WR1 (3): Hakeem Nicks,, Ramses Barden, Rueben Randle, Isaiah Stanback, David Douglas
WR2 (3): Victor Cruz, Domenik Hixon, Jerrel Jernigan, Dan DePalma, Julian Talley, Brandon Collins

TE/HB (3): Martellus Bennett, Bear Pascoe, Adrien Robinson, Jake Ballard, Travis Beckum, Christian Hopkins, Ryan Purvis, Larry Donnell

RT (2): David Diehl, Sean Locklear, Jim Reinders
RG (2): Chris Snee, Brandon Mosley
OC (1): David Baas, Jim Cordle, Chris White
LG (2): Kevin Boothe, Mitch Petrus, Stephan Goodin
LT (2): Will Beatty, James Brewer, Mike McCants, Selvish Capers

LDE (2): Justin Tuck, Justin Trattou, Craig Marshall, Adewale Ojomo
LDT (2): Linval Joseph, Shaun Rogers, Markus Kuhn, Dwayne Hendricks
RDT (2): Chris Canty, Marvin Austin, Martin Parker
RDE (2): Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umenyiora, Adrian Tracy, Matt Broha

SLB (2): Michael Boley, Jacquian Williams, Spencer Paysinger
MLB (2): Chase Blackburn, Mark Herzlich, Jake Muasau
WLB (3): Mathias Kiwanuka, Keith Rivers, Greg Jones, Clint Sintim

CB1 (3): Corey Webster, Prince Amukamara, Antwaun Molden, Michael Coe, Dante Hughes
CB2 (3): Terrell Thomas, Jayron Hosley, Justin Tryon, Bruce Johnson, Brandon Bing, Janzen Jackson
SS (3): Kenny Phillips, Tyler Sash, Stevie Brown, Chris Horton
FS (2): Antrel Rolle, Will Hill, Jojo Nicolas

K (1): Lawrence Tynes
P (1): Steve Weatherford
LS (1): Zak DeOssie

Last edited by Big_Pete on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

how the positional battles shape up for camp Empty Re: how the positional battles shape up for camp

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 am

Has diehl been penciled in as RT or are you just assuming?

Linebackers will be fun to watch for sure.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

how the positional battles shape up for camp Empty Re: how the positional battles shape up for camp

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:07 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Has diehl been penciled in as RT or are you just assuming?

Linebackers will be fun to watch for sure.

A recent giants.com article "offensive line mixing youth with experience" about the online mentioned Diehl at RT, so it's reliable.

It also makes the most sense, the Giants like Beatty at LT and he should be better with more experience etc. we will also have a lot of continuity along the line.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 am

I look forward to seeing what Jersey Joe can do. He's faster than Hynoski, might fit Wilson better and be a better specials player.

I think Barden does well enough where he forces his way onto the field this year.

Now that we have quality starting OLBs I'd like to see Kiwi lined up at DE more. I understand he'll have a hybrid position but with Boley/Rivers at OLB we have much less of a liability in space and we're a faster defense. Its going to be interesting to see how MLB plays out. The development of Herzlich is going to be the key to who lines up at LB in the base D..

I'm happy with Diehl at RT and Beatty at LT. Petrus and Boothe will be a nice camp battle at LG. I think Petrus comes out on top though. He's quicker and stronger, his technique should finally be up to par to beat Boothe out.

Our Offense and Defense should definitely be a lot faster this year.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 am

I think you hit the nail dead on in that we will be faster

We have a lot of young guys, who will be better and our Oline will gel better as well.

For the record I think Blackburn may not make the final roster.
I do think Herzlich could be the MLB if they don't move Boley or Rivers inside ( I suspect they want to do the latter.)

I do think Barden will step up and play a similar style to Plax. Cruz is too good out of the slot.

I like jersey Joe's chance of making the roster, but I think it might be at the expense of Ware and Brown.

I like Hynoski and he should be much better. He can also be more of an alround player. With Hynoski and Bennett and some continuity on the line there should be a much better ground game to counter our strong aerial attack (at least keep them honest)

All in all there aren't too many areas of weakness on this team and if guys like Sintim, Beckum and Amukamara get healthy training camp will be awesome.

Our young guys have legitimate opportunity. We have a good blend if youth and experience

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down