TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Who are your break out predictions for 2012?

3 posters

Go down

Who are your break out predictions for 2012? Empty Who are your break out predictions for 2012?

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Let's have a little fun, name your top 5 offensive and 5 defensive players that you think will have break out seasons and why you think they will have breakout seasons.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Who are your break out predictions for 2012? Empty Re: Who are your break out predictions for 2012?

Post  Pizan Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 am

Sounds like fun, is this for the whole NFL?
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Who are your break out predictions for 2012? Empty Re: Who are your break out predictions for 2012?

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:57 am

Pizan wrote:Sounds like fun, is this for the whole NFL?

I was going with NYG
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 am

But don't mind if you want to expand it :-)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:39 am

defense- Mark Herzlich, showed flashes in limited starts last season before getting hurt.

offense- Mitch Petrus. If given the chance I think he will be a Rich Seubert type of player for us. He's a strong guy who has shown he can anchor the line when given the opprtunity.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 am

My top 5 offensive breakout predictions

1. TE Martellus Bennett
I think Bennett is the best addition for this team. Bennett is not an elite receiving TE, and not even the best receiving TE on the team (which is Beckum). But we don’t need an elite receiving TE. Let’s all remember the drama of many fans when Shockey left and then again when Boss left, but we adapted and the next guys stood up. With our system and Manning we just need a solid receiver who can complement our WRs; Bennett will be at least as effective as Boss and Ballard in the passing game. But he also brings a quality blocker that we haven’t seen since the likes of Dan Campbell and Howard Cross. This is going to pay big dividends in the running game (as well as letting us use Pascoe and Beckum’s versatility. I expect Bennett will play around 270-280lbs, he should have similar production to what we got from Ballard and Boss in recent years. Let’s not forget that this is a contract year.

2. RB David Wilson
I think David Wilson is going to impact early. His blend of power and speed will be a big upgrade; his skill set actually reminds me a lot of Tiki Barber - the type of RB who plays with power despite his small size, is a weapon in both the running and passing game and a genuine threat to take it to the house. I like Bradshaw, but I don’t think he can be relied upon to carry the load. Like all rookie RBs, Wilson will need to improve his pass blocking and blitz pick up skills. RBs can contribute early and I expect Wilson could push Bradshaw for playing time sooner rather than later.
I am expecting major improvements in our ground game this year with improved Oline play (they will be healthier and gel better), improved blocking from Hynoski and Bennett and the addition of Wilson. Schematically teams will key on our dangerous passing game, which will open up more opportunities on the ground. Our ground game will have an electric aspect instead of the ponderous style we have been used to with Jacobs.

3. WR Ramsees Barden
I expect big things from Barden this year. He will get the first shot to replace Manningham as the #2 WR across from Nicks (Cruz will be continue to be used in the slot). Barden has flashed but has been a little inconsistent. He was raw coming out of college, plus injuries and loss of offseason last year really hindered his development. Sure he didn’t get much game time, but that’s because he isn’t a special teamer. But many fans forget what he does bring to the table, he is a huge WR with the ability to get deep; his skill set reminds me a lot of Plax – I think he can do similar things for us. The other factor is that he is a very different style of receiver to Nicks and Cruz – that’s going to make it a little harder for defenders. Barden isn’t going to be the #1 or #2 WR, but I do think he will surprise people and be quite effective this year. Let’s not forget that this is a contract year.

4. LT Will Beatty
I think Beatty is going to break out this year. The front office clearly like his ability enough for him to start over Diehl. Beatty is a better pass blocker and isn’t as physical as we would like; but he will mature and get better. He is well established at LT now and will benefit from more continuity at one position and along the line in general (which was in major transition last year; plus vets like Snee and Diehl played hurt). Let’s not forget that this is a contract year.

5. G Mitch Petrus
Firstly Petrus has to beat out incumbent Boothe. I think Petrus will emerge as the starter at LG. He is very powerful and surprisingly mobile. He is a very good run blocker and should improve his pass protection. I think Petrus and Beatty complement each other well.
I actually think Boothe is better is the swing backup T/G/C role that Seubert did so well for us.

5. TE Travis Beckum (if healthy)
Beckum is in a contract year and has flashed his ability. Beckum isn’t an inline TE, but he is a very good H-back. If he is healthy, Beckum will continue to develop and be a very useful weapon in the passing game. Beckum could also get a bigger role assuming some of the reps with Manningham’s departure. Let’s not forget that this is a contract year.
Honourable mention: FB Henry Hynoski,

My top 5 defensive breakout predictions

1. LB Keith Rivers
Rivers career certainly hasn’t lived up to the high expectations of where he was drafted. I expect the Giants want to work Rivers in at MLB. Essentially Rivers would be used in much the same way that Fewell used Paul Poslunzsy inside at Buffalo. We have the big bodies up front so this will allow Rivers to flow to the ball.
Regardless Rivers will certainly get ample opportunity to use his speed and athleticism in our special 4 DE, 2 LB, 3 S passing sets, which I expect we will use quite a bit. Rivers resolves our biggest need for some time which has been a lack of speed and athleticism at LB. I also think Rivers’ prescence will help allow Boley and our DBs to play with a little more freedom as well (the latter won’t need to compensate for poor LB coverage). Let’s not forget that this is a contract year.

2. CB Prince Amukamara
Amukamara has to firstly get healthy, but I don’t see any issues. Prince will benefit from a full offseason and will be worked into the CB rotation. He is a very good all-round CB, but is under the radar. Prince isn’t the kind of ball hawk safety that many teams want (which is what Hosely is), he is a good physical CB with very good speed and decent ball skills. If he progresses well, Amukamara could get a lot of playing time at CB with Thomas moving to the 3rd safety role that Grant did in our passing packages (which was the plan last year). In the mean time he will work into the mix as the likely 3rd CB. Regardless, Prince will get a lot of playing time.

3. LB Mark Herzlich
Herzlich is the one LB I really like. A former WLB before his cancer, he will be better physically with another year after his recovery plus a full offseason in the Giants strength and conditioning program. A full offseason will also help his on field development. I think Herzlich will beat our Blackburn for the MLB spot (though Rivers could end up starting); he can also play behind Kiwi.

4. S Tyler Sash
Sash will be the primary backup to Phillips at SS and is in the mix for the 3rd safety role (though I think eventually that will go to Terrell Thomas if he is healthy). This kid is a good tackler, but needs to improve his coverage. He is also good in the mental game. Sash will get playing time, but his biggest role will be on special teams.

5. LB Jacquain Williams
Williams is a pure WLB and is likely the primary backup to Boley. He will get playing time, particularly in passing situations. But like Sash, his biggest role will be on special teams. Regardless, I think we will see substantial improvement from Williams as he develops and matures.

5. LB Clint Sintim (if healthy)
Sintim has been the forgotten man of the Giant’s LB corps. A lot will depend on how well he recovers from his injury, but the fact he is running already is a good sign. Sintim is going to have a real battle for a roster spot, but I think he can do similar kind of things to Kiwanuka at SLB; I can easily see him working his way into the rotation which wil l ensure that Kiwanuka remains fresh. With his physicality, I wouldn’t be completely surprised if he ended up playing inside on short yardage and running downs. Sure Sintim isn’t going to be a starter, but he is a physical LB with legitimate pass rush skills and is well established in our system. More importantly he (along with Kiwanuka) have a different set of skills to the other LBs. Let’s not forget that this is a contract year.
Honourable mention: DT Marvin Austin
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:01 pm

10 breakout players might be a little much for one team lol but I'll play along. We can do the entire NFL another time.

Mark Herzlich - This year might be a little early for him to break out but he'll definitely improve upon his stat line from last season. I think he starts at MLB for us. I'm bias though.

Marvin Austin - Might be a year early as well but he gets off the ball too quick not be some sort of disruption.

Kenny Phillips - Its going to be tough for him to get attention especially playing next to Rolle but I think Phillips has his first probowl season. If all 5 of our DB's (Rolle, Phillips, Thomas, Webster, Prince) stay healthy we have one of the top secondary's in the league. So a break out year for that entire group.

Ramses Barden - Nice big target for Eli. Should have some nice success with all the attention Cruz and Nicks will get. If he doesn't make it this year he never will. Reuben Randle could be a road block for him but we tend to ease our receivers into the line up.

Mitch Petrus has to beat out Boothe, if he does and I think he will he'll be just as feisty as Seubert was like Todd mentioned and bring a much needed energy to our oline.

Will Beatty broke out for me last year in training camp when he handled JPP. Give him a full season and he'll break out to the rest of the NFL.

I'd like to also add Marty B, Rivers, and David Wilson but I feel like Marty B has already established himself as one of the better blocking TEs in football. If anything he'll break out as a receiving weapon. Rivers has had success he just needs to tackle better. He does that I guess you can say he "breaks out". Wilson is a 1st round RB, early contributions are expected. So if he does whats expected, he's in for a break out season.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down