TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Brandon Jacobs wants big money in free agency

2 posters

Go down

Brandon Jacobs wants big money in free agency Empty Brandon Jacobs wants big money in free agency

Post  Big_Pete Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:13 am

from http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/12/new_york_giants_jacobs_believe.html

New York Giants' Jacobs believes he's proven his toughness as free agency nears

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
Saturday December 20, 2008, 6:41 PM

This season, Brandon Jacobs hasn't been called for taunting penalties at the end of long runs, not even when he barreled over the Redskins' LaRon Landry in the season opener. He hasn't launched footballs into the play clock after plowing, leaping or sprinting into the end zone on any of the 12 times he has scored. And he hasn't fired back when given several opportunities by opponents poking at the Giants' running back.

Yet, last week, his emotions admittedly got the best of him -- mostly because he was kept far away from the field.

When the team held him out against the Cowboys because of a nagging knee injury, Jacobs got upset with the training staff and the coaches. In the days after the game, he publicly questioned their decision.

And then, he practiced for three days last week.

"I complained about it and I was kind of angry that they held me out, but it was a good move," Jacobs said Friday outside the Giants' locker room as snow piled up on the field nearby. "In practice today, it felt good. I thought, 'You know, that was a pretty good thing they held me out.'"

Jacobs is listed as questionable for Sunday night's crucial matchup with the Carolina Panthers that will determine which team clinches the NFC's No. 1 seed and home-field advantage throughout the conference playoffs. Barring a last-minute setback, he's expected to return and bring back a force to the Giants' running game that's been missing since he left the loss to the Eagles after falling on his injured knee.

Coach Tom Coughlin said last week that Jacobs "can set a physical tone that we have responded to very well over the course of the season." Jacobs' presence also results in opposing defenses wearing down late in games and allowing the Giants to seize momentum.

But is Jacobs wearing down as well? Durability was something he wanted to prove this season as he approached free agency. He has missed two games with knee injuries, which could prompt questions about his ability to hold up while playing such a physical style of football.

Despite not reaching his goal of playing in all 16 games, Jacobs believes he's shown his toughness.

"I've proved more than last year," he said of his missing five games in 2007 due to knee and hamstring injuries. "I'm a little banged up, but it's Week 16. That's going to happen. ... I've been hurt since Week 3, so I don't think that should be a question."

The injury that has lingered all season is a damaged posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his left knee. The PCL is the ligament in the back of the joint that prevents the tibia (shin bone) from displacing backward on the femur (thigh bone). Jacobs feels discomfort when he's hit on the front of the leg because such an impact pushes his tibia backward with little resistance, due to the damaged ligament.

That explains why he was writhing in pain against the Eagles upon landing directly on his knee and shin.

But it's possible to play through PCL injuries, as Tiki Barber proved when he suffered one early in his career. Jacobs has taken comfort in the fact Barber played through the injury and he's sought advice from his former teammate.

"He told me to strengthen my hamstring. Just keep everything stretched out," Jacobs said. "As everything tightens up, your hamstring pulls on it more and more and it just gets worse."

With a victory Sunday night, Jacobs will be able to rest for the first round of the postseason and likely next week against the Vikings in a game that will be meaningless for the Giants. That'll allow his knee to heal before the divisional round on the weekend of Jan. 10-11.

The rest will also allow Jacobs to remain healthy as he approaches another big event: free agency. So far, he's yet to receive a contract extension and could be playing his last couple of games as a Giant. Jacobs has watched as the Giants' organization has locked up Justin Tuck, Chris Snee and Corey Webster to lucrative extensions over the past year, with Webster's five-year, $43.5-million deal coming before the game against Dallas last Sunday.

Webster and Tuck were the Giants' second- and third-round picks, respectively, in the 2005 draft. Jacobs was selected in the fourth round.

"I grew up with Corey and this is a goal we've both been trying to reach for a long time," Jacobs said. "We talked about this a long time ago -- years ago. It's finally happened for him. I'm happy for him."

What about his situation?

"I went this long without signing, why rush to do it now?" Jacobs said. "March is on the way."

Jacobs sent mixed signals as to whether he'll test the free-agent market -- just like he's tried to keep the media guessing with regard to his injury status the past few weeks. Sifting through the answers, his message appears to be that he'll look around if the Giants don't up their current offer. If they do, he'll sign immediately.

"Look, this is a solid organization. I don't think you'll find another organization like this. This is where I want to be," said Jacobs, an avid boxing fan who then added: "But I'm not going to take two rights and an uppercut to the cheek to do it. It's not worth it to me."

Jacobs said he's not looking for top dollar, which could be defined as the $9 million-plus per season Steven Jackson got from the Rams in August. (Jackson's entire contract was a six-year, $44-million deal, but the final two years can be voided, essentially making it a three-year, $29.3-million extension). The Chargers gave LaDainian Tomlinson $60 million over six years and Larry Johnson signed a five-year, $43.2-million extension with the Chiefs last year.

Jacobs is likely seeking a contract on par with the seven-year, $45-million extension the Cowboys gave Marion Barber in May.

"I don't need all this money like all these other guys got. I don't need $40 million. I really don't," Jacobs said. "But I want something that's fair to me. That's it. If they came with that, I wouldn't wait to see where the market goes. That's irrelevant because I'll have gotten what I think is fair and I'll be where I want to be."

For someone who didn't exactly grow up privileged in the small farming community of Napoleonville, La., and has matured into a self-described family man who "stays home" with his wife, Kimberly, and 1-year-old son, Brayden, instead of frequenting night clubs, a comparatively humble approach to contract talks is something in which he takes pride.

"Tell me something, where are you going to find a guy like me -- a guy that thinks like that -- around the National Football League?" Jacobs asked. "They should take advantage of that, right?"

from Derrick Ward

http://www.giants.com/news/transcripts/story.asp?story_id=33671

Is it possible for you and Brandon both to come back next year?
Anything is possible and anything is impossible so we�ll see. It will be nice to end my career with my big-little brother but if not then that�s the nature of the business.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Brandon Jacobs wants big money in free agency Empty Re: Brandon Jacobs wants big money in free agency

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:37 am

Your thread title is a little deceiving Pete. Actually Jacobs is looking for just a fair contract not top dollar.

Jacobs said he's not looking for top dollar, which could be defined as the $9 million-plus per season Steven Jackson got from the Rams in August. (Jackson's entire contract was a six-year, $44-million deal, but the final two years can be voided, essentially making it a three-year, $29.3-million extension). The Chargers gave LaDainian Tomlinson $60 million over six years and Larry Johnson signed a five-year, $43.2-million extension with the Chiefs last year.

Jacobs is likely seeking a contract on par with the seven-year, $45-million extension the Cowboys gave Marion Barber in May.

"I don't need all this money like all these other guys got. I don't need $40 million. I really don't," Jacobs said. "But I want something that's fair to me. That's it. If they came with that, I wouldn't wait to see where the market goes. That's irrelevant because I'll have gotten what I think is fair and I'll be where I want to be."
Sign this man now. Even with Ward rushing for 215 last night, Jacobs proved what he means to this team. He's the spark plug that gets the engine going and has become a true team leader.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Brandon Jacobs wants big money in free agency Empty Re: Brandon Jacobs wants big money in free agency

Post  Big_Pete Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 pm

ok slight edit Smile

It depends on just how much Jacobs wants; around $6mil a year is likley to be the maximum that we would pay

I think it is will be very unlikley that both Ward and Jacobs will be back next year

I think Jacobs want to test the waters to see just how much he can get. With a little depth in both RB free agency and draft classes, it could be alot.

I am not so confident that Jacobs will be back in 2009, but I am hopeful )
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:23 pm

positive signs from Jacobs (from giants.com)

You have two 1,000 yards backs that are going to be free agents. The more you do the less likely you will be teammates because the price keeps going up.
That’s definitely going to hurt. I talked to him about that as well and every time over the past two years I’ve been asking him what kind of money he is looking for and it’s going up every day. So, it’s funny and I laugh at him every time he tells me. He deserves it. He works hard and he does just as much as I do. He deserves it. It’s going to be tough as an organization having to make a decision on us but it’s going to be tough to part if that’s what we have to do. But like I said I love him like a brother and I wish we can still be around each other next season.

Do you think there is any chance that you’ll both be back?
I have no idea. I have no idea. I hope so, to be honest with you. I really hope so but I have no idea.

Have you seen the list of 1,000 yard rushers?
I have not. I have not seen the list. I don’t want to look at the list until we’re on it. I’m going to be pushing Derrick hard this week. We make each other better. We’re going to get out there this week, work during practice and line up during the game and try to get that done.

How does he make you better? We know how you make Derrick better but how does he make you better?
Watching him run out there and do all the things he does, it gets me up. He goes out there with quick feet and guys can hardly stand in front of him – I say I’m going to finish this off. The guy that can’t stand in front of him that is standing in front of me – I’m going to run him over. We’re just going to keep going back and forth. Emotionally for Derrick, I can tell the difference when I’m out there and when I’m not. He has a little bit more spark to him and when I see him with a little more spark to him I get a little more spark in me and that’s all she wrote.

I really hope both Ward and Jacobs are back next year
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:05 am

Big_Pete wrote:

I really hope both Ward and Jacobs are back next year

It would be nice but very doubtful.

I can see Ward searching for something close to Ryan Grants contract last year. (4 years, 20 million). He may not get it beacause he wasn't a fulltime starter but then again, Grant only played 8 games when he got his contract.
Jacobs should be searching for around 35 million I think.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I have been thinking on it a little

we have room from the contract of guys like Strahan, Toomer, McQuarter and probably Burress (one of the reasons we don't usually go for top FAs)

If Burress is gone, I think it is more likely both stay

another factor may be the fact that both the free agency and draft RB groups are thin.

seven years $45 mil for Jacobs

four years $20 mil for Ward

Ward's contract would be somewhere around what Pierce signed for several years ago, whilst Jacobs would be somewhere around Snee's

One of the issues with multiple RBs is that they don't like sharing carries; but the three we have seem pretty happy with how things are

The Giants have been exceptional with how their contracts are structured.

If we can keep both, with our oline and Hedgecock locked up through 2011, the core of our offense would be well established, plus will get even better

Anyway, at this point in time, I will continue to hope Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down