TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Will Kiwanuka be moved to DE

3 posters

Go down

Will Kiwanuka be moved to DE Empty Will Kiwanuka be moved to DE

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 pm

With the retirement of Strahan, do you think Kiwanuka will be moved back to DE?

we do have some experienced talent and depth at DE with Umenyiora, Tuck and Wynn

But Tuck (and possibly Wynn) could be used inside in our 4 aces packages.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Will Kiwanuka be moved to DE Empty Re: Will Kiwanuka be moved to DE

Post  deranged Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:54 pm

I doubt it. I bet Tuck replaces Strahan and everyone gets mixed around when it's 3rd and long. A lot of different packages, for sure, but I don't think Kiwi moves.

deranged
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:10 pm

I am a bit each way to be honest; but in the end I think Kiwanuka will be moved to DE

Our Dline did so well last year using multiple DEs

Renaldo Wynn is a solid vet backup and our other spot will likely be a young developmental guy (possibly Henderson or Tollefsen)

I don't think we will get the kind of pressure packages we need.

Kiwanuka moving to DE ensures we have enough quality pass rush to get the job done; both to ensure our starters are fresh and allowing Tuck to move inside on passing downs.

At LB we have guys who can step in at SLB (or WLB if Wilkinson flips to SLB); Dany Clark is a solid vet plus we have DeOssie, Kehl and Goff who could step up. Blackburn is an adequate SLB if required.

Our Existing LB corps could replace Kiwi without too much of a drop off; Wilkinson is probably the best option with his good passrushing skills.

Another option (either at DE ot LB) is to bring in a free agent or trade for a player. While this is perhaps unlikely; it is quite possible.

The way I see it, DE is a much higher priority for our defense to work; plus we have guys who can cover SLB - it makes sense to me that Kiwi moves back to DE
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  deranged Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:08 pm

The nice thing is the Giants have depth and versatility at a lot of positions. They can get very creative on the field.

Right now, no one knows what will happen. I'm sure the coaching staff doesn't even know, which could be a good thing.

deranged
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 pm

deranged wrote:The nice thing is the Giants have depth and versatility at a lot of positions. They can get very creative on the field.

Right now, no one knows what will happen. I'm sure the coaching staff doesn't even know, which could be a good thing.

If you read the comments by Coughlin and Reese that is certainly the case.

The biggest challenge will be replacing strahan's run support. Don't be surprised if Jay Alford gets some reps at LDE in training camp to see what he can do
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:59 pm

deranged wrote:The nice thing is the Giants have depth and versatility at a lot of positions. They can get very creative on the field.

Agreed; Tuck is a beast, he will take over for Strahan. On passing downs I can see them putting Kiwi on the outside and Tuck at DT.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:23 pm

There are a few people who have concerns about Tuck at DE; they think he is much better inside. If that is the case Kiwi may be moved down to DE.

It is pretty clear the front office had been expecting strahan to return

Is Osi the best run stopper out of Kiwi, Tuck and Osi? If so is Osi an option at LDE? he certainly has the strength to handle it. That would be Ironical; Strahan was initially a RDE who switched to LDE.

It will be interesting to see what happens
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down