TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Toomer wants new contract

2 posters

Go down

Toomer wants new contract Empty Toomer wants new contract

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:55 am

from http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spgiants015983993jan01,0,5692574.story?track=rss

Quiet Toomer hopes to catch new Giants' contract

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com
January 1, 2009

Amani Toomer has been playing the game for a long time, and he wants to continue playing it. This is his first time playing the game, though. The negotiating game. The dance where he tries to get what he wants. And the end zone of this route is a new contract, not a touchdown.

Maybe that's why Toomer halfheartedly doubted his strategy yesterday. "I don't know," he said. "Maybe I should have held out in minicamp."

That would have been very un-Toomer-like. For the past 13 seasons, he's earned a citizenship badge as one of the Giants' quiet, focused leaders. This season he was named a team captain. He's the only player on the team who was around the last time the Giants had the top seed in the playoffs, the same year they went to Super Bowl XXXV and lost to the Ravens. He's also the most productive receiver in the team's history. So making a scene is not something Toomer is about to do.

But as the calendar resets itself today, Toomer doesn't know if he'll be back with the Giants after this latest postseason run is finished. Toomer is an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the season, and although he has said he would like to finish his career with the Giants, he also understands that there's a chance it won't happen.

"This is the business part of it," Toomer said. "I've never been a free agent, so it's going to be exciting. I'm going to look at it as exciting. It will be a different experience for me. That's all I can really say."

There was a lot of shrugging, awkward smiling and searching for just the right words as Toomer spoke yesterday. Talking about his future clearly made Toomer uncomfortable. After 13 seasons with the same franchise, staring out at open waters can have that effect.

Or perhaps Toomer was trying to stifle frustrations over how he's been used. He's caught 48 passes for 580 yards this year, his lowest numbers after a full season in his career. Second-year receiver Steve Smith led the team in receptions and third-year player Domenik Hixon led the team in receiving yardage. Even after Plaxico Burress was suspended, Toomer did not become a go-to guy. He's caught seven passes for 75 yards in the last three games.

"It ended up the way it did and I can't say I'm satisfied," he said of his numbers. "The only thing I control are my percentages [of catches], and I felt I was pretty good at that. It's a touchy topic. I don't feel that comfortable talking about it."

Sometimes, though, that's part of the game.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Toomer wants new contract Empty Re: Toomer wants new contract

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:00 am

I am a bit each way on whether we should bring Toomer back

He is clearly not the player he was, but can still be usefull. Naturally he won't be worth the kind of money he was on.

I am concerend that retaining Toomer would mean less oppourtunities for the rest of our talented young guys who need reps etc to develop

I really like the idea of Hixon as our #2 WR (whether Plax is back or not)

Hixon, Moss, Smith and Manningham are all talented youngers who should continue to improve with reps and opportunities.

It might come down to choosing between Toomer and Tyree for a WR roster spot; unfortunately I think Tyree adds more to the team at this point.

It could come down to cap management; all our youngsters and Tyree are relatively cheap cap wise. Toomer would almost certainly cost a fair bit more.

To be honest, you have to wonder how much he has left in the tank. With all the injuries to Plaxico and our other WRs, I expected Amani to step up alot more than he has.

I also wouldn't rule out the Giants grabbing a WR at some point in the draft; there is plenty of quality and depth; particularly with bigger WRs; if that is the case with our existing depth, it doesn't make much sense to pay Toomer too much.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:04 am

also from http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/12/31/2008-12-31_no_word_on_amani_toomer_extension.html

No word on Amani Toomer extension

BY RALPH VACCHIANO
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Giants threw a lot of money at Plaxico Burress back in September, locking up a troublesome receiver who now may never play for them again. Yet they haven't shown a willingness yet to re-sign Amani Toomer, one of the greatest (and trouble-free) receivers they've ever had.

That subject, and the fact that Toomer will be an unrestricted free agent in March, isn't one the 34-year-old is comfortable discussing. But now that his next game could be his last in a Giants uniform, the team's unwillingness to offer him a contract extension has clearly been on his mind.

Toomer has been left to approach free agency coming off his least productive full season in 10 years.

So far, according to a source familiar with the situation, there have been no negotiations at all between the Giants and Toomer, who made $3.1 million in salary this season. The Giants also haven't indicated to him if he's in their future plans.

One thing is certain. Coming off a season in which he had only 48 catches for 580 yards and four touchdowns, his bargaining position won't be strong. Although if that comes up in contract talks, Toomer said "I'd say 'Turn on the film.'"
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:09 am

from http://www.nypost.com/seven/01012009/sports/giants/toomer_may_be_facing_final_days_as_a_gia_146704.htm

TOOMER MAY BE FACING FINAL DAYS AS A GIANT

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

January 1, 2009

Amani Toomer sat on a stool in front of his locker, shirtless, and flexed his finely-toned upper body, thrusting both arms up into their air so that his muscles strained and bulged.

"Free agency!" he said excitedly, breaking into a slight smile.

He was goofing on himself more than expressing great excitement about that prospect, but what is sure to come for the leading receiver in Giants history is no laughing matter. Toomer is 34 years old and completing his 13th NFL season, all with the Giants, and is eager to head into the playoffs and shoot for a second consecutive Super Bowl. It's never been better to work at Giants Stadium, but this is likely the last roundup for a proud and classy player who might not be wanted back.

"It's kind of a touchy topic that I really don't feel comfortable talking that much about," Toomer said yesterday.

Ever since the grand upset victory over the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, Toomer has seen many of his teammates receive lucrative contract extensions. There have been no talks at all with Toomer, which is telling, and he admits at times he has wondered, "What about me?"

"You always think that, but it's something you can't really focus on those type things just because of the fact we've still got a couple of games to play, hopefully, and we'll see what happens," Toomer said.

He makes $3.1 million this season and has never before played out his contract. He will this year and really has no idea if there's any interest from the Giants.

"It's the business part of it, I've never been a free agent," he said. "I'm going to look at it as an exciting time for me. It's going to be a different experience for me. That's all I really can say."

Toomer finished second on the team in catches (48) and receiving yards (580) and tied for second with suspended Plaxico Burress with four touchdowns.

It is unlikely Burress will play again for the Giants and what's left is a collection of young receivers: Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon, Sinorice Moss and Mario Manningham. There's not a No. 1 receiver in the bunch. Toomer is not that any more and his production has dropped in each of the past few seasons. Nevertheless, he clearly is not done and remains in prime shape, though he is now more of a possession receiver.

"I felt it could have been a lot better, personally," Toomer said of this season. "It ended up the way it did, but I can't say I'm really satisfied with how I . . . I can't say I was really satisfied. I just think it's probably a little bit of everything. There's a couple of plays there I felt I could have held on to 'em a little bit more. Other than that I think this year I was a little bit more consistent than I was last year in terms of the amount of opportunities to the amount of plays I made. I felt pretty good about that."

When his decreased productivity is mentioned, Toomer quickly adds, "I say turn on the film, that's what I say."

Toomer said he wants to stay and finish out his career with the Giants, and for years has given the team not an ounce of trouble, as opposed to Burress, who constantly broke rules and irritated coach Tom Coughlin and before this season was rewarded with an extension.

"I don't know," Toomer said non-seriously, "maybe I should have held out in mini-camp."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:12 am

From a business perspective, Amani probably won't be brought back

If we are looking at the end of Toomer's tenure as a Giant that will be a sad day

Amani has been a quality Giant throughout his career and one of the best WRs this franchise has ever had.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:06 pm

It makes no sense to serve Toomer a low ball offer right now (which is probably what he'll get) when the Giants are just starting to make a run for the superbowl.
This is the unfortunate side of having a salary cap in the nfl.

The other side to Toomer possibly not coming back is that it may say something about the youngsters we have on the team. There will be plenty of competition and opportunity for starting roles next season.
However, if Burress and Toomer are both gone by next season, the giants will need to make a strong approach at drafting a receiver high or looking for a top notch wr in free agency.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:13 pm

After looking at the list of available free agent wr's in 2009, I'm not so sure there is a better option than Toomer besides TJ Houshmandzadeh.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Bobby Engram, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Devery Henderson, UFA, New Orleans Saints
Shaun McDonald, UFA, Detroit Lions
Hank Baskett, RFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Jabar Gaffney, UFA, New England Patriots
Dante' Hall, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Sam Hurd, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
Brandon Jones, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Ashley Lelie, UFA, San Francisco 49ers
Koren Robinson, UFA, Green Bay Packers
Amani Toomer, UFA, New York Giants
Roydell Williams, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Cedrick Wilson, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:18 pm

I am sorry but I dont agree

Toomer is not a #1 WR at this stage of his career and does not sigificantly upgrade over what Hixon, Smith, Moss and Manningham bring to the table.

The youngsters have much better upside and will improve with increased workload.

I am thinking the Giants will look for a #1 WR in the draft and there is at least one who is a good fit for us.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down