TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Is Reese setting up for more roster moves?

Go down

Is Reese setting up for more roster moves? Empty Is Reese setting up for more roster moves?

Post  Big_Pete Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:54 am

The Giants reportedly had enough money to sign all of our rookies with a solid amount of money in reserve (I will look into how much) - I believe somewhere around $10 million

from insidefootball's Patricia Traina (8th March) :
"Based on the numbers I’ve calculated, I think the Giants have enough money to sign maybe two more mid-level free agents if they so choose."

That is very solid cap shape.

It has recently been reported the Giants have reworked the contract with Corey Webster (turning guaranteed money into a signing bonus) and saving around $3 million against the 2009 salary cap. Obviously Reese has a plan of some kind that may require the additional money.

1. Are we looking at bringing in another veteran (either via free agency or trade); perhaps for a contingency plan dependant on the resolution of the Burress situation? (For example does Reese have deal in the works for Boldin and is waiting to see what happens with BurressP

2. Is this cap room to enable the Giants to trade or release Burress (costing around $2.4 million against the cap) depending on how his legal situation goes and whether Burress makes the considerable changes for his appropriate reconciliation with the Giants and his return to the team (which I have to say seems very unlikely)

Reese has recently hinted that the Giants may not have as many picks as we currently have by draft day, he must have a few options in the works.

What do you think?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Is Reese setting up for more roster moves? Empty Re: Is Reese setting up for more roster moves?

Post  Big_Pete Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 am

That makes alot of sense really we already have 9 picks plus will likely get at least one compensation pick. It is unlikley 10 rookies would be able to make the final 53 man roster.

Thinking about it, the possible roster spots opportunites are:

WR (1-2), OT (0-1), OC (1), RB (1), TE (0-1), LB (1), CB (1-2), S (2) [depending on DB ratio it could be CB (2-3) and S (1)]

the real issue will be that anyone we bring in must be an upgrade over the guys we currently have.

The front office are very happy with the depth and talent at most positions
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down