TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants draft strategy

4 posters

Go down

Giants draft strategy Empty Giants draft strategy

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:07 am

Here is my thoughts on the Giants draft strategy.

I think Jerry Reese is very comfortable with our depth at most positions on the team. There are positions the front office would like to upgrade for sure, but for most positions, any rookie would likely have to beat out solid veteran in training camp (no simple task).

I think Reese will generally go with the best value at each pick and target a few positions.

My Take:

OT, OC are definitely on the agenda to build for the future

CB and S are definitely on the agenda; most likely in the mid-late rounds for depth, but could also be earlier if great value is there. A second CB or S might be a possibility depending on who is available and the preferred CB:S ratio.

WR is definitely on the agenda, but at what point will depend on value. This is a need, but not an urgent need.

LB may be an option (though not a major need), particularly a fast, athletic, potential starter to develop and groom behind the starters. This would continue the trend towards more speed, athleticism and coverage at LB and could mean Clark, Blackburn or Wilkinson will miss out on a roster spot.

TE is definitely a possibility (though not necessity), depending on value.

RB might be a surprise option (though certainly not a major need). Good value options are likely to be had at some point, and the Giants probably want 4 RBs on their roster

P might be a long shot, but it might pay to groom someone behind Feagles for a year; particularly if that player can also backup at kicker providing insurance for Tynes (i.e Graham Gano, Florida St)

I don't think Reese will target any particular position at any pick. Instead he will work the draft, seeing how things fall and get the best value.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants draft strategy Empty Re: Giants draft strategy

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:16 am

Please note that I am not ruling out a trade or a veteran player

if it did happen, ir would very like be for a Wide Reciever (most likely Braylon Edwards)

another option could well be a TE such as Tony Scheffer (Broncos), Owen Daniels (Texans) or Bo Scaife (Titans)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Gman329 Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:17 pm

First, there is no way Reese uses all 10 picks. There MIGHT be room on the roster for 5 or 6 draft picks but that's about it. No point in drafting players just to cut them. I, too would like to see a veteran WR, rather than a draft pick to fill that need. Crabtree is the only guy you could draft and know he'll contribute right away and he'll be long gone, even if we bundle a few picks to move up - we're not moving THAT far up!

But I quite disagree that WR is not an urgent need. Our two starters are gone, leaving only our solid 3rd receiver, Smith and guys who may look good on paper but are unproven. No way I am comfortable going into the season counting on Smith, a good slot/possession receiver and Hixon, Manningham & Moss to all blossom at once. I'm looking for a draft day trade - a 1, 3 & 5? - to bring in Edwards.

Also agree that we'll be looking to pick up an OT, with an eye on moving Diehl to RT, replacing the suddenly aging Mackensie. In fact, I wouldn't be stunned, if they don't use a parcel of picks to get Edwards, they use them to move up for an OT. From what I read (I don't claim to be a draft expert!), there are 2 or 3 elite OT's, that will go in the 1st round and we could nab one by moving up to the 12-15 neighborhood.

We'll also have to look for another safety or two, as the cupboard is bare after Phillips and Johnson.

Gman329
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Good post.
Your right, there's no way the giants will keep 10 picks. If the giants were in rebuilding mode then I could see it but we're not. We're in a good position that if the Giants really want Edwards they could give up a little more than maybe they should in draft picks.
Of course, I'm still not sold 100% on Edwards yet, but it's true that he would make an impact a lot quicker than any rookie or player we already have on our roster would.
I'm just hesitant about spending the big bucks and wonder how we re-sign Eli if we make a trade for a Edwards or Boldin. Especially since we just spent a boat-load of money on our defense between Canty, Boley, & Bernard.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Here is a letter I posted to insidefootball.com

This explains why I think the front office doesn't believe WR is necessarily an urgent need

I think the front office are reasonably happy with the young guys we have at WR; the only thing we lack is a genuine #1 WR, but that can be said for a lot of NFL teams, many of which have solid passing games. Reese will be continuing to explore trade options with Boldin, Edwards and others. But he isn't going to over pay and if necessary would be reasonably comfortable with the young guys we have. Most of the players available are not a considerable upgrade over the young guys we currently have. We may well draft a rookie WR, but a rookie WR isn't likely going impact right away.

I think many people are overlooking the fact that we do have a genuinely talented stable of young WR who are well established in the our system who have had limited opportunities for many reasons. The main change will be that Gilbride and Coughlin will completely overhaul the passing schemes; This is very achievable now but it is not something you can do in mid season. Rather then trying to get our young WRs to do (pretty much) what Plax does, devise a system that plays to the strengths of the guys we do have - use more motion, genuine speed, precision routes etc.

Genuine speed is an element that we didn't have with Toomer or Burress, neither was a threat based on speed and quickness; but Hixon, Smith, Moss and Manningham are. btw, I wouldn't completely write off Sinorice Moss yet. He still has plenty of upside and could have a breakout year (along with any other of our young WRs).

Anyways I think our passing game will be fine, our WRs will step up get the job done without Plax and Toomer; just like Diehl stepped up after Petitgout, Jacobs stepped up after Tiki, Tuck stepped up after Strahan, Boss stepped up after Shockey etc, at each point many external sources had these as urgent needs yet the Giants got the job done with guys already on the roster doing a very solid job. – Peter M.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:50 pm

I think it is unlikely that the giants could put 10 draft picks on the roster, but it could happen.

Have you noticed a general trend in recent years towards younger guys who are faster, more athletic than the guys we have?
With solid starters at most positions, it makes sense to bring in talented youngsters to develop for the future rather than solid veterans with limited upside behind our starters.

Also remember there are a few players who likely will not feature in the Giants long term plans.

Here is my take on possible roster including possible rookie landing spots

Offense (25)

QB (3): Manning, Carr, Woodson

WR (6): Hixon, Smith, Moss, Manningham, Rookie, Rookie/Tyree/Hagan

TE (3): Boss, Rookie, Johnson/Matthews/Vickers/Milner

RB (4): Jacobs, Bradshaw, Ware, Rookie/Dwayne Wright

FB (1): Hedgecock

OT (3) McKenzie, Diehl, Rookie

OG (3): Snee, Seubert, Whimper/Koets/Boothe*

OC (2): O'Hara, Rookie

Defense (25)

Defensive End (3): Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka

Defensive Tackle (5): Robbins, Cofield, Canty, Bernard, Alford/Henderson

SLB (3): Kehl, Rookie, DeOssie*

MLB (2): Pierce, Goff

WLB (2): Boley, Clark/Wilkinson/Blackburn

CB (5): Webster, Ross, Thomas, Rookie, Rookie/Dockery

SS (3): Johnson, Brown, Rookie

FS (2): Phillips, Rookie

Special Teams (3)

P: Feagles, Rookie

K: Tynes

*depending on how the Oline shales down.

By my count that is 11 roster spots where a rookie could earn a roster spot. In some cases this will require beating out established depth, but these are positions we want to upgrade. While I think it unlikely that 10 rookies could make the roster, I certainly think it is impossible, particularly with at least 3 DB spots up for grabs.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants draft strategy Empty WR is a priority

Post  Kevin Hebert Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 am

To say WR is NOT a priority is crazy. Since Eli is NOT an extremely accurate passer (especially in the cold and wind during the playoffs) he needs a big, strong receiver like Plax. That's why Plax's absence late last season doomed the Giants. The front office has to acquire a stud receiver to take over for Plax and Toomer. Smith, Hixon, etc. can serve as numer two or three reveivers, but they do not strike fear in opposind defenses. Without pass catching running backs, and an effective TE the opponents will stuff the line of scrimmage, as the Eagles did in the playoffs, and dare Eli to beat them. So far, without Plax, he hasn't.
Kevin Hebert
Kevin Hebert
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 am

I must be crazy then Smile

I guess I am differentiating "priority" from "would really like to upgrade"

I think the front office is reasonably happy with the stable of WRs we have if we started the season tomorrow. I think they have a different perception of our talent to many people outside the organisation.

However, WR is certainly a position we would like to upgrade if at all possible, that includes trading or the draft. But unless we trade for someone or trade up in the draft, we are not likely to get anyone who will seriously upgrade our reciever group. Reese isn't going to ioverpay to bring anyone in (which happens if it is an urgent need)

Don't get me wrong, part of the reason for last year rests with Plax, but I think being mid season, we asked our other guys to do pretty much what Burress did and they aren't in that class. With the right system they will be fine; particularly as they will be able to get more vertical, stretching the field.

Unless we trade for a #1 vet WR we aren't likley to be able to get that genuine #1 this year, it usually takes time for a rookie WR to impact and it will be harder for the Giants as any rookie WR will have to compete with talented youngsters who are well established in our system and all have plenty of upside. With additional oppourtinities, I think out young WRs will improve and step up.

I do think the Giants will end up trading for Braylon Edwards, that is plan A
Plan B is to draft a rookie to develop for the future and compete with our current young WRs
Plan C is to go with the WRs we currently have.

Perhaps I am being optimistic, but I think the front office does view things differently.

Much like we all knew that we needed a new LT when Petitgout left, we knew we needed a TE to replace shockey (and so on); Now people know that the Giants need a WR, but I think Reese has it all well in hand.

I also get the feeling that the Giants could take Britton or Pettigrew (among others) if they are available over a WR at #29

anyways these are just my thoughts, I am happy to be the odd man out Smile

apologies if this seems like a rant, it certainly isn't intended that way; this is just the reasoning why I personally think along these lines

I can certainly see where other people are coming from and there is certainly some merit there.
I guess that is why forums are a great place to discuss, debate and question various ideas and topics, everyone has their own opinion on things which is great.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Jerry Reese on WR (Q&A)

Q: Is the WR position a glaring need?

A: I wouldn't say that it is a glaring need. We try to upgrade all of our positions. We will try to upgrade our WR position just like we will try to upgrade every position on our team right now.

Q: Why isn't there a glaring need at receiver when you've lost players there?

A: Well because we have players there right now that we feel like are good football players. You lose players every year at different positions. And again, you just want to upgrade your team at every position, every year. And receiver is just no different from any other position. We will try to upgrade it just like we will try to upgrade running back, offensive line, defensive line, every position, tight end.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down