TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Eli Manning looking for big money

2 posters

Go down

Eli Manning looking for big money Empty Eli Manning looking for big money

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:39 pm

from kffl.com

Giants | Manning looking for big money

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 05:21:40 -0700

Updating a previous item, Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Giants QB Eli Manning's agents, according to one source, want to make him the highest-paid player in the NFL. Another source suggested Manning's initial asking price was up near an average of $20 million per year. Manning is in the final year of his rookie contract.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Eli Manning looking for big money Empty Re: Eli Manning looking for big money

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:42 pm

I must admit that I am a bit mixed on this one

Eli is a good QB but is he worth that level of money?
Lets be real here, we would save a ton of money by franchising him

Then again he is a young quality starting QB well established in our system - and he has both SB ring and pro bowl berths

The Giants will almost certainly resign him, he have paid him huge money in the past

any thoughts
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:50 am

from insidefootball.com

A Rainy Day Thought About Eli's Potential Pay Day

We’re having another rainy day here in New Jersey, so while my husband is finally painting the kitchen and Molly (my dog) is taking another one of her long afternoon siestas out in the family room, I’ve been using the opportunity to finish some football writing before I get ready to take a break.

I have finished editing the June spring football report, which comes out Monday (though for subscribers, it’s now available on the InsideFootball.com web site). I have also been hard at work on the July “Training Camp Preview,” which should be about 95% done by the time I call it a night.

As I was tweaking my lead article, “Questions Facing the Giants,” I decided to post one of the questions I raised right here on the blog because it relates to a hot topic swirling around the Giants this summer.

I’m of course talking about the fact that QB Eli Manning is about to enter the final year of his contract and that there have been numerous media reports saying that he and the Giants are “far apart” on a new deal.

If that is indeed the case, if the Giants are taking a wait-and-see approach with Manning before deciding on what he's really worth, then perhaps what I wrote for question #7 on my afore mentioned article might provide a little food for thought.

Here it is; you be the judge.

7. How much better will ELI MANNING be this year?

If Manning, who enters the final year of his contract this season, isn’t significantly better this year than in years past, then something is very wrong.

For the first time since coming to the Giants, Manning has had an entire off-season to work with all of his receivers, which is a critical component in a team’s development.

We know how in the past Manning never had Jeremy Shockey or Plaxico Burress, his top receivers, around during the off-season. Also in recent years, Amani Toomer would sometimes disappear from the off-season program for significant periods to pursue other interests.

The results for Manning were less than favorable. For starters, there were numerous miscommunications with his top receivers. How many times can you recall Manning throwing the ball one way, and either Burress or Shockey going another way? As we recall, it used to happen at least once a game

While we won’t place all the blame on the receivers – Manning has thrown a few clunkers in all this -- we believe that had he and his receivers put in the time to work together during the off-season, many of the problems they experienced on game day might not have been as consistent when things counted.

With that said, we don’t think this will be an issue this year. Manning had all of his veteran receivers in camp. He’s also had his rookie receivers with him just as soon as they were eligible to participate in the workouts, and to our knowledge, they didn’t miss a beat. What better way for the Giants front office – and Manning for that matter -- to gauge what his true value is than to see him perform under the ideal circumstances possible?

If the work done this spring doesn’t translate into better production for Manning and the Giants’ passing game, then in all honesty, he doesn’t deserve a lucrative contract that would make him the highest paid player in the game.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:02 am

I think the insidefootball article hit it on the head.

It will depend on Eli's development over the year.

Does Eli step up this season? taking his play to the next level (and worthy of that huge contract)

I guess if Eli doesn't extend his contract, he would be franchised and traded (which would be good value for other teams needing a QB). The Giants would likely be able to keep David Carr for a reasonable price, an would probably draft another QB to develop for the future.

Like I said, I am a bit each way on this one, I guess the Ball is in Eli's court.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 am

To be the highest paid qb, means to me you should be the top qb in the league and everyone knows that's not the case.

1) The giants are a power running team first. This is what allows much of the passing success the we have had when throwing the ball.
2) Eli is not one of the most accurate of passers in this league. Not even close
3) Let's see what Eli can do in a full season without his main target. Plax has bailed out Eli many times with his athletic ability.

I'm not afraid to see Eli get a nice big pay day, he deserves it. He gives the Giants a chance every year by making the play-offs.
But if push comes to shove and the giants just don't feel right then they should simply franchise him next year.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Eli has a salary cap number of around $14.3m this season

remember in 2007 the Giants used a buy back option in Eli's. His original rookie contract expired after 2012, the buy back option brought it back to after 2009.

Eli has already been paid like a top QB and really he the hury is out as to whether he has played up to it (although he has shown potential). Alot of the Giants offesnive problems have come back to poor execution, Eli has more than his fair share.

I think this may be a make or break year for Eli, if he can take it to the next level, then he certainly has earned his pay, if he doesn't then it gets really interesting.

The other factor is David Carr, who will have been well established in the Giants system.

If (and it is a big if) the Giants are ok to consider lif without Eli, then we could franchise and trade him. There are a few teams in need of a QB who would consider a trade (eg: San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Jacksonville, Buffalo)

Maybe it could come down to do we pay Eli his $20m/year + (with alot guaranteed) or do we go with say David Carr (perhaps $6m-7m) and have extra draft picks (maybe 1st and 2nd).

I think it comes down to performance, does Eli become a truly elite QB or does he remain just a good one.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:15 pm

For example

If Seattle traded both of their 1st round picks (one from Denver) for Eli and we resigned David Carr, I would be ok

we could likely get a very good QB prospect (Tim Tebow, Matthew Stafford, Javon Snead or Colt McCoy) and have picks to upgrade other areas as well

David Carr actually gives the offense an accuracy and crispness it lacks with Eli Manning.

Of course this is all plan B stuff, I would much prefer Eli to take it to the next level and become a truly elite QB
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down