TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

draft thoughts 23/3

2 posters

Go down

draft thoughts 23/3 Empty draft thoughts 23/3

Post  Big_Pete Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 am

Here is my current thoughts

basically the Giants are targeting key players, waiting to see how the draft unfolds and making plays to get their key targets/needs.

Giants trade Osi Umenyiora and #46 to San Fransisco for #17

Giants trade #15 to New England for #22, #53

17. LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri (6-1, 239, 4.52, 35)

" Good size and bulk --- Very athletic --- Great speed --- Has a burst and really closes in a hurry --- Quick and agile --- Solid instincts --- Reliable tackler and a powerful hitter --- Has sideline-to-sideline range --- Nice balance and body control --- Great strength --- Works through traffic well --- Capable pass rusher and blitzer --- Very smooth and fluid in coverage --- Good hands and ball skills --- Tough and physical --- Active with a non-stop motor --- Smart --- Hard worker --- Team leader --- Has a ton of quality experience --- Durable --- Versatile --- Super productive." Draftcountdown

22. S Taylor Mays, USC (6-3, 230, 4.43, 24)

This is a best player available pick, after MLB we have no urgent needs. This gives us another quality safety to mix into a rotation, it also gives insurance against Phillips return from injury; it is likely he will be limited this offseason and it may take him a year to get back to his best after knee surgery. This means we can keep our safeties fresh and opens up very interesting options for our Nickel and Dime packages. Mays may not be the complete package, but guys with these tools are very rare, if not unique. Safety is not an urgent need, but after MLB, safety and RB are likely the positions most in need of attention.

"The key with Mays is expectations. If you want a ball-hawking safety then Mays isn't your guy as he is more of an intimidator than a playmaker. However, if you want a big, fast, physical strong safety who can be a force in the box but also has the range to drop into coverage they don't come much better than Mays. The bottom line is that while Mays certainly has some faults he also has a lot of strengths that people seem to be ignoring and you just aren't going to find a 6-3, 230-pound safety with legit 4.2 speed in every draft." Scott Wright Draftcountdown

Giants trade, #46, #76, Sinorice Moss to Baltimore for #25

#25 RB CJ Spiller, Clemson (5-11, 196, 4.37, 18)

With Spiller still on the board, the Giants trade up to address their RB needs.

" Great athlete --- Phenomenal speed and quickness with an amazing burst --- Tremendous acceleration and is actually faster with the pads on --- Extremely elusive and a real terror in space --- Excellent change of direction and good balance --- Terrific vision and patience --- Able to get around the corner with ease --- Strong and runs pretty hard for his size --- Soft, natural hands with nice body control and ball skills --- A pass catching threat out of the backfield and in the slot --- Smart and a hard worker with top-notch intangibles --- An outstanding return man." Draftcountdown

112. DT Linval Joseph, East Carolina (6-5, 328, 5.11, 39)
Joseph is very raw coming from a small school, but his size, strength and athleticism is exactly what we need as a 1 technique DT.

143. DE Lindsey Witten, Connecticut (6-5, 250, 4.71, 23)
Witten is a good edge rusher with a lot of tenacity and great work ethic

174. TE Michael Hoomanawanui, Illinois (6-4, 266, 4.75, 24)
A stud blocking TE with good speed and athleticism

205. C Kevin Matthews, Texas A&M (6-3, 298, 5.32, 32)

A good solid C prospect with good tools from the famed Matthews dynasty

Note: whilst losing Osi will hurt, Kiwanuka is a capable replacement. Witten is a good edge-rusher, plus we have Sintim who could play DE on passing downs if need be. Also a much improved back 7 will play dividends.

If Osi is traded it would be because of attitude/team chemistry
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

draft thoughts 23/3 Empty Re: draft thoughts 23/3

Post  Pizan Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 am

Good job gettin 3 first round picks but I was very disappointed not one of them was a dlineman Especially when you traded our probowl backup de.

I like the weatherspoon pick and mathews pick. I don't think mathews will last that long though he has to good of bloodlines. Spiller will be in the top 15 picks. I'm a bit surprised you tried to pull that off.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Spiller should go in the top 15, but again Ihe think it unlikley

RBs tend to slip in the draft and this year you can likely get Best or Matthews in the top half of the 2nd round.

I don't see the issue with Dlineman in the first round. Linval Joseph is a very good prospect and frankly as a NT, I like him better than Dan Williams. He will take time to groom, but talent/ability wise I think he is right up there.

Witten is also very under rated, talent wise he is right up there with the other 2nd round rushers.

I did look at the DEs like Griffen, Dunlap and Pierre-Paul, they are all ok, I just think the guys I picked are better prospects from a Giants point of view.

This is a very deep draft, just because someone isn't drafted early doesn't mean the posiotion is resolved.

But as usual it is thowing ideas around to see how they come out Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:56 pm

a slightly different version could have gone
#17 McClain/Weatherspoon
#22 Dunlap/Pierre-Paul.Derrick Morgan
#25 Pouncey/Price/Williams

but I like my orginal version better.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:06 pm

But Pete in your mock draft you have spiller going 7 th overall. I would think you would use that as some sort of gage. Oh well if he happened to be there at that point then he would be a great pick. I doubt it because he is by far the best rb is this class. It will be very hard for teams to pass on a prospect very comparable to Chris Johnson.

I understand what your trying to say with the d lineman you drafted but they are still mid round prospects. The talent grade reflects the draft round. I much rather the more talented player.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:47 pm

I am working on a new mock draft Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend