TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Kenny Phillips not likely to be ready for training camp

3 posters

Go down

Kenny Phillips not likely to be ready for training camp Empty Kenny Phillips not likely to be ready for training camp

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 am

The outlook for Giants safety Kenny Phillips just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer.

Tom Coughlin revealed here today that the Giants don’t expect Phillips to be available for full participation at the start of training camp, and Coughlin wasn’t exactly upbeat about Phillips in general.

Asked during the NFC coaches breakfast at the NFL’s annual meetings if Phillips can come back this season, Coughlin said: “I think so.”

Phillips, the promising free safety whose 2009 season ended abruptly after just two games due to arthritis in his left knee that resulted in microfracture surgery, has not yet been cleared to run.

Phillips, who isn’t expected to participate in any of the offseason workouts or Big Blue’s June minicamp, vowed publicly after the signing of Pro Bowl safety Antrel Rolle this month that he would be back for the start of camp.

Coughlin appeared to throw cold water on those hopes today.

“Kenny’s rehab is going very well, but he’s in stages,” Coughlin said. “He can’t even go out right now and just run. He’s still being very well-structured there. He’s started to [work out], but it’s not a do-anything-you-want-to-do type of a deal.”

At best, Phillips might be able to participate in one of the two daily practices early in camp, Coughlin added, but it is clear the Giants don’t plan to push the 2008 first-round pick.

“Like all people coming off that surgery, he’s got to be kind of brought along,” Coughlin said. “I don’t foresee [the medical staff] just saying, ‘Go ahead’ [at the start of camp]. The restrictions could be one-a-day. I hope not, but that’s the way it could be.”

The Giants’ concern about Phillips — and the possibility that the microfracture surgery could end his career — played a part in the signing of the ex-Cardinal Rolle to a $37 million deal on the first day of free agency.

The Giants had hoped to pair Phillips and Rolle for what would be one of the NFL’s strongest safety combinations. But Coughlin’s tone today made it sound like could be wishful thinking for the foreseeable future.

Adding to the Coughlin’s worry, the only other safeties on the roster are Michael Johnson and C.C. Brown — both of whom struggled mightily last season — and former undrafted free agent Sha’reff Rashad. Aaron Rouse was released earlier this month.

“[Pairing Phillips and Rolle] is what we would like to happen, but if it doesn’t, we’ve got to do a better job of answering that than we did last season,” Coughlin said of the safety play after Phillips went on injured reserve.

The Giants could target a safety high in the draft next month, but Rolle’s arrival already is easing some of Coughlin’s concerns about the position.

“Antrel Rolle is a guy who had an outstanding year,” Coughlin said. “He’s very athletic. He’s an excellent football player.”

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/blogs/giantsblog/coughlin_phillips_won_camp_ready_DQQbDLx4fneFK80LSWWlQM
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Kenny Phillips not likely to be ready for training camp Empty Re: Kenny Phillips not likely to be ready for training camp

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:57 am

Bummer, I knew one a days was likely to happen this summer for Kenny.
And this is going to slow down the process some for Rolle and Phillips learning to play side by side.

This is also going to make drafting a safety this upcoming draft still a high priority imo.

I think it is fair at this point to play the cards as if Phillips won't be ready for this season at all. Now I don't mean to totally count Kenny out but certainly better back-up plans need to be made.

I still cringe at the thought of CC Brown and Michael Johnson being the next best alternatives after last year.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Kenny Phillips not likely to be ready for training camp Empty Re: Kenny Phillips not likely to be ready for training camp

Post  Pizan Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:49 am

I'm not so sure about this article for a few reasons. For one Kenny said he feels great. Sure coughlin and company could be playing it extra careful which is good i think they should... But let's remember fellas the draft is just a month away.

Now I could be totally looking into things to far but hear me out. Recently we had an article qouting reese as saying we are happy with our mlbs. Now we have an article a few days later talking about our concerns at safety. Like a dog trying to cover up his shit it still stinks. The same reason we have rocky still on the team. Going a lil farther maybe the reason osi is still here... Smokescreen!

If we cut rocky it's obvoius we need to prioritize dt in this upcoming draft. If we trade osi we need to make de somewhat of a priority. If we say Kenny is ahead of schedule safety gets crossed off the list until second day. If we say we are unhappy with our current MLB position we are giving away what we think we need. The media is so often used as a tool. I think that's what we are seeing here.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:41 am

I agree with you Pizan. The Giants definately can't go out and show their whole hand before draft time. And misleading the media a little bit definately never hurt anyone.

But I still think that Phillips will not be pushed much during camp and be given every chance to let that knee recover. And that's a very good thing for him.
I mean look what happens every time someone comes back too early from a hammy. It seems they're right back where they started.
Phillips has a much worse condition than a hamstring.

It's just too bad that the Giants won't be starting out the summer with two fresh starting safeties.

I think it will be a lot like Michael Boley last season. You knew when the season started that he would be the starter but got barely any reps in during camp.

Boley started the year out slow and I think we'll see a similarity in how Phillips works back in.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:27 pm

No real surprise, it was considered a potentially career ending injury when he did it. He is coming back well, but he hasn't done any real work on it yet, so we wont know where it is,

Also if he fully recovers (and I thuink he will) he is likely going to take a year or so to get back to his best.

I think we add another safety or two yet. Either way Reese isn't going to rely comletely on Phillips bein healthy

IT was a very serious injury, all we can do is wait and see how it goes, The signs are looking prommising at this early stage though.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down