TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants, Saints came close to making deal involving DT Cofield

2 posters

Go down

Giants, Saints came close to making deal involving DT Cofield Empty Giants, Saints came close to making deal involving DT Cofield

Post  Pizan Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm

By Jason La Canfora | NFL Network

The New Orleans Saints and New York Giants came close to completing a trade for defensive tackle Barry Cofield during the draft, according to league sources.

The Saints and Giants discussed a deal Friday that would have sent a second-day pick to New York in exchange for Cofield, according to sources. Talks advanced to the stage where the Saints were given permission to speak to Cofield, a restricted free agent who had a second-round tender placed on him.

However, the sides couldn't work out an extension. There remains potential for Cofield to be dealt -- the Giants drafted defensive tackle Linval Joseph in the second round and could end up playing Chris Canty inside more this year -- and New York hasn't shown a desire to extend his deal to this point.

The Saints are also expected to remain active. Several executives from other teams remain convinced New Orleans will deal tackle Jammal Brown this offseason, either for a player or a draft pick.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Giants, Saints came close to making deal involving DT Cofield Empty Re: Giants, Saints came close to making deal involving DT Cofield

Post  Big_Pete Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

I wouldn't have minded trading Cofield, and I still think he could be available for the right price, but the Giants aren't going to give him away.

I actually like the idea of Cofield rotating in the 3 technique spot on running downs beside Joseph (or another plugger).

I still think there is a chance that Cofield is traded, but more likely for another player.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants, Saints came close to making deal involving DT Cofield Empty Re: Giants, Saints came close to making deal involving DT Cofield

Post  Pizan Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:14 pm

It sounds as if cofield way over values himself. I wonder what the agreed trade included as compensation for cofield. They don't have any pass rushing de's that we would collect.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:19 am

I would like to see us bring in a true vet NT option like John Henderson

Cofield is better suited to the 3 technique in my opinion

It could also be that the Saints were trying to get Cofield for a bargain price.

I wouldn't rule out Cofield being traded, but probably not until we add a vet NT option
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down