TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Warning signs with Osi?

3 posters

Go down

Warning signs with Osi? Empty Warning signs with Osi?

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:36 pm

from kffl.com

Giants | Osi Umenyiora believes starting job his to lose
Comment (0) Tweet! Share on Facebook
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:23:55 -0400

New York Giants DE Osi Umenyiora said he believes the starting defensive end is his job to lose and believes his backup role to DE Mathias Kiwanuka is temporary, according to New York Daily News' Ralph Vacchiano. "I feel like I'm still one of the best defensive ends in the league in my head. That's pretty much all that counts. If I really decided to start thinking about (having to win the job), it's not going to be good for this team at all," Umenyiora said.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Warning signs with Osi? Empty Re: Warning signs with Osi?

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:00 pm

He is also disrespecting Kiwanuka

from http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/06/15/2010-06-15_osi_umenyiora_ok_with_backup_role_with_new_york_giants__for_now.html

Osi Umenyiora OK with backup role with New York Giants - for now

By Ralph Vacchiano
Daily News Sports Writer

Tuesday, June 15th 2010, 2:14 PM
New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora doesn't think he'll be a backup for very long.

Osi Umenyiora opened up the Giants' mini-camp Tuesday the same way he ended his miserable 2009 season - as a second-string defensive end. And he insists he's OK with that unwanted role.

Sort of. And for now.

"If I truly was not the best player, then I'd be cool with it," Umenyiora said after Tuesday morning's practice. "But if I feel like I am the best player - and everybody in this league knows the type of player I am - the minute in my mind I'm playing the way I'm capable of playing and I'm not on the field, then of course it's going to be a problem."

Consider that a bit of a warning shot that Umenyiora still isn't thrilled with a situation that had him threatening to retire back in February. He said most of the right things, insisting that he wouldn't be a distraction and he'd "maintain a positive attitude" no matter what his role ends up being.

But he also made it clear that he believes his role as a backup to Mathias Kiwanuka is temporary, and that he views the starting job as his to lose.

"I definitely don't look at it that way at all," Umenyiora said when asked if he felt like he had to win the job this summer. "I feel like I'm still one of the best defensive ends in the league in my head. That's pretty much all that counts. If I really decided to start thinking about (having to win the job), it's not going to be good for this team at all."

Umenyiora did get some work in with the first team today, as new defensive coordinator Perry Fewell rotating him and Kiwanuka - - something that likely will happen during the regular season, too. Umenyiora said he hasn't spoken with Fewell about the specifics of that rotation or how much playing time each of the ends - - including Justin Tuck, Dave Tollefson and first-round pick Jason Pierre-Paul - can expect to receive.

It didn't sound like he planned to have that conversation, either.

"All I know is the best players have to play this year," Umenyiora said. "You understand? They have to. We have to win. There's no question about that. There's too much on the line right now. If it ends up that I'm not in there, then I know in my heart that I truly wasn't the best player. And I'll be OK with that."

Except that Umenyiora likely would never concede that he's not the best player. He still believes he was the best player last year, despite being benched for Kiwanuka after Thanksgiving ("I just know that when I wasn't in there, was there a dramatic improvement?" Umenyiora said. "Did we get better?"). And when a reporter suggested to him that Kiwanuka won't be easy to beat out for a job this summer, Umenyiora said "You don't think so?"

"He's a good football player, no question about that, no argument there," Umenyiora said. "Been to Hawaii though? It's hard. Very, very difficult. You have to be of a certain pedigree to get over there."

Still, this all may have been more of a show of confidence from Umenyiora, rather than the defiance that was on display earlier in the offseason. He wasn't demanding his starting job back, as he did back in February. This time he was saying that he deserved it.

That's a somewhat softer approach that Umenyiora said he's taking because he knows that his behavior - - which included storming out of a defensive meeting after a dispute with former defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan - - was a distraction to the Giants last year.

"That was my fault," he said. "I made the mistake of behaving (badly) last year. It was very selfish of me because I wasn't thinking of the total team concept and looking at the way people would respond to me doing something like that."

So, while he said it's "definitely different and it's definitely difficult" being a backup, he's willing to deal with it … for now.

"You just have to have the intestinal fortitude to be able to handle things like that, the mental capacity to handle things like that," he said. "If not, then I'd just go out there lay down and not do anything. I can not allow that to happen. No way. I must go out there and play the way I'm capable of playing."

And if he does that, he believes he'll be back with the first team soon enough.

If not? Well, stay tuned.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:05 am

On one hand I respect his attitude and his self confidence on the other hand we have to trade him. We are playing with fire here. I understand we want them to compete and try there hardest but this attitude is not the kind you want leaking on to your younger players.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 am

I think you are right about trading Osi

I think it is inevitable that this will be a problem down the track, it is just a matter of when. Even if Osi beats out Kiwanuka this year, there is still JPP waiting in the wings.

Osi's attitude may be a reason we drafted JPP, the front office are looking at going in different directions sooner or later
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:58 am

This kind of talk from Osi makes me root for Kiwanuka even that much more.
I'll lmao if Osi begins the season on the bench.

It's not as if Kiwi is a bad player, who's to say that he doesn't get better this summer and has an incredible season?

Osi is the better player right now imo but things can change quickly around this league.

I agree with Pete, if it wasn't for Osi's attitude we probably never draft JPP.

sunny
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down