TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Options at safety

3 posters

Go down

Options at safety Empty Options at safety

Post  Big_Pete Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Sure we want to resign Deion Grant, but perhaps there may be other options at safety as well.

Both Bob Sanders and Oshiomogho Atogwe have been released by their respective teams, and as they have been released are available to sign.

Do you think the Giants should take a look at either?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Options at safety Empty Re: Options at safety

Post  Pizan Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:35 am

No. Both will be looking to start elsewhere we don't offer that here. Atogwe will sign a nice deal in Free Agency. Sanders will probably gain interest from teams able to gamble and possibly offer a starting spot. I'd love to see him as or 3rd safety though just not very likely at all.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

I don't think we must address other safeties in free agency but the draft might be an option if the right player is there.

I'm not sold on Kenny Phillips yet. I gave him a pass this season though due to his knee conditions. We'll see how he does in 2011. He's still a better option than James Butler or Michael Johnson ever were.

I really like Rolle and his versatility he just needs to shut the pie hole and play.

I guess if the Giants sign another safety via free agency then I would just target Grant again. Let him shop and if the Giants can match then go for it.
Grant might not get a lot of attention since this year he was really just an "in the box safety" and didn't get a good chance to show off many skills by playing deep.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:46 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:I don't think we must address other safeties in free agency but the draft might be an option if the right player is there.

I'm not sold on Kenny Phillips yet. I gave him a pass this season though due to his knee conditions. We'll see how he does in 2011. He's still a better option than James Butler or Michael Johnson ever were.

I really like Rolle and his versatility he just needs to shut the pie hole and play.

I guess if the Giants sign another safety via free agency then I would just target Grant again. Let him shop and if the Giants can match then go for it.
Grant might not get a lot of attention since this year he was really just an "in the box safety" and didn't get a good chance to show off many skills by playing deep.

The issue is that Fewell likes a three safety rotation.
Rolle is decent and Phillips has some potential, but other than that we only Michael Johnson who is off contract and Chad Jones who is unlikely to be ready this season.

So we are going to have to add reinforcements of some kind. There is only one genuine safety I like in the draft - Rahim Moore, but there are a couple of corners who I think could be decent safety options. But the most likely course will be a free agent safety of some kind. (possibly with a draft pick as well).

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:04 pm

my money is on Oshiomogho Atogwe wearing a Cowboys uniforn next season.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:28 am

I was actually very pleased with our secondary overall this past season. We ranked 9th in passing yards per game. 5th in lowest completion percentage allowed and 10th in lowest QB rating. I think the last few games left a sour taste in most fans mouths but we played well overall.

I'd like to see Deon Grant back but if not there are plenty of options in FA and I think some quality players could be had in the draft at that position.

Pete, I'm not big on Rahim Moore. I like Quiton Carter, DeAndre McDaniel, Duenta Williams, Joe Lefeged, and even Jay Valai he's undersized but a hell of a hitter and tough football player. He's a guy I'm targeting as a mid round - to late round player now for my giant mock.

Guys in FA I like Sabby Piscitelli, Goldson, Bigby, Eric Smith, George Wilson.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:32 am

I don't mind Carter either.

I may also consider guys like Ras-I Dowling as a possible FS

I don't mind Deunta Williams, not a huge fan of McDaniel

Rahim Moore is purely a balhawk FS, that is not everyone's cup of tea.

Overall the safety draft class is a little lack luster imho. My two favourite safety options are corners - Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara but neither is likely to be around when we pick

I like George Wilson, Piscatelli is decent as well and Grant returning would be very nice, but it depends on how much. There are a few other guys for sure, but it depends on price.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down