TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Pete's free agency plan (18 July)

2 posters

Go down

Pete's free agency plan (18 July) Empty Pete's free agency plan (18 July)

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 am

Inspired by Pizan, I had a burst of insipiration and here is my current plan for NYG

Here is what I would currently like to see happen

Resign: Steve Smith, Mathias Kiwanuka, Dave Tollefson

Release: Shawn Andrews, Rocky Bernard, Madison Hedgecock

Trade 1:

Osi to Detroit for TE Brandon Pettigrew and a 2012 3rd round pick.
We aren't going to pay Osi and with Boss gone Pettigrew is an ideal option.
It would effectively give is a 3 year $2.9375m deal for Pettigrew. Pettigrew is a stud blocker and reliable receiver, it also means we can clear some cap room for other positions. The
Lions have Scheffler and JJ Finley at TE, and you have to think that
adding a stud DE lime Umenyiora to a DL featuring Suh, Hill, Fairley and
Vanden Bosch could be enough to take out a very close division.

Trade 2:

2012 third pick for RB Knowshon Moreno
Fox has made it clear that upgrading RB is their #1 priority with Bradshaw and Williams the top runners available. Moreno is a good all round RB, while he doesn't fit Fox's style of play, he is a good complementary option at a good price. It is effectively a 3 year $3.555m deal with option in 2014. With the extra third round pick from Osi and likely compensation picks, this allows us to invest our cap dollars in guys we need.

Contracts that need restructured: Brandon Jacobs, Corey Webster, Eli Manning, Chris Canty, Michael Boley, Shaun O'Hara, Sage Rosenfels

Free Agents Signed

Major Signing:

LB Stephen Tulloch
-
Tulloch is the stud, athletic playmaking MLB that we badly need. His style of play is a good fit for Fewell's schemes.
Poslunzy is a good fall back option, but like others have said is more of a stop gap rather than a true star.

Moderate Signings:

LB Thomas Howard
- A good value LB with the speed, coverage and athleticism we need for our LB group. Howard would slide in at WLB with Boley flipping to SLB.
With Osi's departure, we may be thin at DE. Sintim hasn't made the transition to a 4-3 SLB, put with the addition of Howard there is options to use both Sintim and Tracy as pass rushing DEs.

S Jarrad Page - A good moderately priced option for
our 3rd safety spot. Can play either safety position and has decent experience. We need an experienced third safety.

Cheap Signings:

DT Alan Branch
- The biggest thing is how well we replace Cofield. I think Josephis ready to start at NT, allowing Canty to slide over to UT where he will play a one gap system well (don't forget he played a 1 gap system in Dallas). Branch gives us a good veteran run plugger to compete with Joseph. Branch, Joseph and Canty will ensure we can keep blockers of Tulloch and allow him to make plays.

FB Owen Schmitt

- Schmitt is a good blocker, and under rated receiver and runner, he is also versatile enough to play a H-Back role if needed. Schmitt is an ideal option for the Giants' brand of football.

UDFA Signings: Kendrick Burney CB, Deunta Williams S

53 Man Roster

Offense (24)

QB- Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfals
RB- Brandon Jacobs, Knowshon Moreno, DJ Ware/ Da'rel Scott
WR- Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Jerrell Jernigan, Domenik Hixon/Victor Cruz/Devin Thomas
FB- Owen Schmitt
TE- Brandon Pettigrew, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe
OT- Kareem McKenzie, Will Beatty, James Brewer
OG- David Diehl, Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Mitch Petrus
OC- Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets

Defense (26)

DE- Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson
NT- Linval Joseph, Alan Branch
UT- Chris Canty, Marvin Austin
SLB- Mike Boley, Clint Sintim, Adrian Tracy
MLB- Stephen Tulloch, Jon Goff, Greg Jones/Phil Dillard
WLB- Thomas Howard, Jacquain Williams
CB- Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Prince Amukamara, Bruce Johnson/ Kendrick Burney
SS- Kenny Phillips, Tyler Sash
FS- Antrell Rolle, Jarrad Page, Deunta Williams

Special Teams (3)

K- Tynes
P- Dodge
LS- DeOssie
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Pete's free agency plan (18 July) Empty Re: Pete's free agency plan (18 July)

Post  Pizan Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Overall I like it. I don't see the trades as very likely. I can't imagine Denver giving up on Moreno just yet. I'd be happy with Tulluch in the middle. I don't want Canty playing under tackle because he's really not the quickest cat off the ball. We need a penetrater there to disrupt and get into the backfield quickly. Thats not Canty. I wouldn't mind it for certain running downs but every down at under tackle wouldn't be our best bet IMO. Who knows though it might work.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Pizan wrote:Overall I like it. I don't see the trades as very likely. I can't imagine Denver giving up on Moreno just yet. I'd be happy with Tulluch in the middle. I don't want Canty playing under tackle because he's really not the quickest cat off the ball. We need a penetrater there to disrupt and get into the backfield quickly. Thats not Canty. I wouldn't mind it for certain running downs but every down at under tackle wouldn't be our best bet IMO. Who knows though it might work.

Im not sure about Moreno, Fox has said RB is his top priority in free agency, so I think Moreno could be available at the right price.

regardless the idea is to trade for guy for lower cap value, and create more money for other vets.

Agreed, but I don't see too many options at UT that are much more cost effective other than keeping Cofield.
I still think Canty could push inside with Joseph being a real handfull at NT. Of course Austin and Tuck would come into play on passing downs. Having a pair of twin towers at DT anchoring our line and keeping Tulloch free would work well in my opinion.
Basically we would crush the run, particularly with Tuck and Kiwi at DE; which means teams will have to beat us through the air; which plays right into our pass-rushing strength.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 pm

I would equally be ok with my Aaron Curry trade idea as well.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:31 pm

deleted
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down