TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates
 

Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:27 am

from kffl.com

Browns | Team would like to interview Spagnuolo
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:31:08 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns would like to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for their head coaching job after head coach Romeo Crennel is fired. The Browns will be able to interview Spagnuolo this week since the Giants have a bye.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:29 am

Other possible canididates

Browns | Team may interview Blache
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:29:35 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns may interview Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache for their head coaching position after head coach Romeo Crennel is fired.

Browns | Team may interview Fewell
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:28:03 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns may interview Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell for their head coaching position after head coach Romeo Crennel is fired.


Browns | Lerner expected to meet with Cowher this week
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:24:40 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner is expected to meet face-to-face with former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher this week.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:36 am

from nfl.com

Lerner would prefer his next hire to be an experienced coach. He will make a strong run at former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who resigned after the 2006 season and is working as a studio analyst for CBS. Cowher played linebacker for the Browns in the early 1980s and served as an assistant coach with Cleveland from 1985-88.

If Cowher doesn't come to Cleveland -- and there's no current indications he's ready to get back into coaching -- the Browns may interview some of the league's top coordinators, including Steve Spagnuolo of the New York Giants, Tennessee's Jim Schwartz, Baltimore's Rex Ryan and New England's Josh McDaniels.

Cowher would likely want to have complete control over the 53-man roster and Savage has said that power is the reason he came to Cleveland three years ago from Baltimore, where he was the Ravens' director of player personnel.

Savage has significantly upgraded Cleveland's talent during his tenure, which began one month before Crennel was hired in 2005.

It seems that Cowher will be the preferred option and it looks like Savage's sacking could be part of a precusor to Cowher being offered full control.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:38 am

I would also be happy with Romeo Crennel as a DC option if Spags leaves
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:02 am

Big_Pete wrote:I would also be happy with Romeo Crennel as a DC option if Spags leaves
It would make sense. He certainly has the credentials as a DC and he has a former relationship with the giants organization. But I wonder if he'd be ok with the Giants passing him up in '03 at a head coaching job. Clearly the Giants made the right move with Coughlin though.
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
It seems that Cowher will be the preferred option and it looks like Savage's sacking could be part of a precusor to Cowher being offered full control.
I'm pretty sure I heard on ESPN that Cowher stated he would not go to Cleveland, this was ESPN though...

Crennel would be a very good option for DC.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:43 pm

from nfl.com

Lions get permission to interview Giants’ Spagnuolo

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Detroit Lions, New York Giants, Steve Spagnuolo

Detroit gave little reason for its to fans to be hopeful this season. But the team is doing what it can today to try to turn it around for next season.

The Lions requested and received permission Monday to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who is regarded as one of the pre-eminent coaching candidates this offseason. Spagnuolo must interview with the Lions this week, during the Giants’ bye, before New York ramps up its preparations for a divisional playoff game next Sunday.

Plus, the Lions are not the only interested team. The Browns also plan to ask for permission to interview Spagnuolo, if they haven’t done so already. St. Louis is also thought to be in the mix.

Spagnuolo might be more apt to make the jump this season from coordinator to coach; last season he was a finalist for the Redskins coaching job before withdrawing from consideration. Now he is under consideration again, and just as coveted.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:45 pm

well Crennel, Mangini and Marinelli have all been fired (Ironically all defensive coaches)

We know Spags tops the candidate list for both the Lions and Browns; quite possibly the Jets as well.


At least with interviews this week we will soon know one way ot the other about Spags future.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:50 pm

interesting news

The Raiders want to interview Kevin Gilbride

from kffl.com

Raiders | Team to talk with Gilbride?
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:41:58 -0800

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, reports the Oakland Raiders are in the process of requesting permission to speak with New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride about their head coaching position. However, team sources tell Mortensen that interim head coach Tom Cable has a solid chance of retaining the post.


I guess Al Davis would like a proven guy from a winning team with prior head coaching experience; it certainly makes sense considering the problems he has previously had.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:05 pm

Perhaps the biggest chance of Spags leaving would be if either Any Reid or Brad Childress are fired (both are on very shaky ground).

I think Philadelphia would be a very very strong chance
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:11 pm

Big_Pete wrote:Perhaps the biggest chance of Spags leaving would be if either Any Reid or Brad Childress are fired (both are on very shaky ground).

I think Philadelphia would be a very very strong chance
If he's offered the Philly job, he'll take it, no doubt in my mind.

Gilbride going to the Raiders is surprising, I don't see him getting too many offers, at least not as much as Spags, so he might go for it, but I see the Raiders HC as a dead end 2 year stint and than back to being an OC. That organization is just so messed up.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 pm

It would be unfortunate to see both coordinators go in one offseason, but then again, it's happened to the Patriots a few times right?

The only way I see Spags staying is if the Giants win it all, Coughlin retires, and Spags takes over.

But that brings up another question, what's better: Coughlin retires, Spags is HC, and Gilbride leaves; or Gilbride and Spags leave, and Coughlin stays? I thinking Coughlin staying is more important for next years team. But this situation is very dependent on the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 pm

I don't see Andy Reid being fired. He brought the eagles back when most people thought they had no chance.
Also, I can't see Jim Johnson working under Spags in Philly. I mean thatt just seems too weird of a situation. Of course, Spags could fire Johnson but that would just be plain dumb.

I could see Gilbride going to the raiders. Might even be a good fit for him. He'd have a big arm in Jamarcus Russel and we all know how Gilbride likes to play pass first. Luckily this season Gilbride also learned how to stay commited to the run.
Losing both Giants coordinators would be a blow but I have faith that Coughlin and company already have a back up plan. They're too smart not to.
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:53 pm

from kffl.com


Jets | Team asks to speak with Spagnuolo
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:50:18 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the New York Jets have asked the New York Giants for permission to interview defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for their vacant head coaching position, according to team sources.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:36 am

NYG Hampton 27 wrote:
Gilbride going to the Raiders is surprising, I don't see him getting too many offers, at least not as much as Spags, so he might go for it, but I see the Raiders HC as a dead end 2 year stint and than back to being an OC. That organization is just so messed up.

I think Gilbride to the Raiders could be a good option for Gilbride

He does like a pass happy offense (which Al Davis will provide) and there probably aren't too many NFL teams that would give him a shot at HC


If Gilbride does leave for the Raiders, i would like to see Charlie Weis considered as a candidate (assuming he is available). He hasn't been the best head coach, but is still a good OC and would likely do well under Coughlin.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:37 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
I think Gilbride to the Raiders could be a good option for Gilbride

He does like a pass happy offense (which Al Davis will provide) and there probably aren't too many NFL teams that would give him a shot at HC


If Gilbride does leave for the Raiders, i would like to see Charlie Weis considered as a candidate (assuming he is available). He hasn't been the best head coach, but is still a good OC and would likely do well under Coughlin.
I haven't heard Weis' name being thrown around in a while, if Gilbride left it would be great to get Weis. He certainly needs to get out of Notre Dame.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Weis may be a good choice as an OC candidate but my gut tells me that Coughlin would just promote qb coach, Chris Palmer. Palmer has the experience and already knows Coughlins ways of doing things all too well.
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Rams are likely out of the race for Spags

December 30, 2008
Report: Spags too pricey for Rams
UPDATE: 12:35 p.m.

Apparently you can scratch one potential suitor off of Steve Spagnuolo’s list: The St. Louis Rams.

According to story in today’s St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Rams are focusing their attention elsewhere because of a belief that Spagnuolo “will be out of the Rams’ price range.” Spagnuolo already makes $2 million per season from the Giants on a three-year contract extension he signed after the Super Bowl last year.

Spagnuolo also could be a bad fit for the Rams, according to the story, because they want a coach in place by the Senior Bowl, which takes place the third week in January.

If the Giants are still playing, the Rams won’t be able to hire Spagnuolo by then.

Meanwhile, the Lions, Jets and Browns have all already asked for and received permission to talk to Spags. The interviews are expected to take place either on Thursday or on Saturday, which are the two days the Giants’ players are off this week.

***

While you’re holding your candlelight vigil for Spagnuolo, feel free to take a break and come up to Westchester tonight where Amani Toomer, Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith will be signing autographs at Last Licks Ice Cream from 7-8:30 p.m. (The store is in Thornwood, N.Y., to be exact).

And yes, I’ll be there too, signing copies of Eli Manning: The Making of a Quarterback for those of you who didn’t get a signed copy for Christmas.

By Ralph Vacchiano on December 30, 2008
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:23 pm

TD wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:I would also be happy with Romeo Crennel as a DC option if Spags leaves
It would make sense. He certainly has the credentials as a DC and he has a former relationship with the giants organization. But I wonder if he'd be ok with the Giants passing him up in '03 at a head coaching job. Clearly the Giants made the right move with Coughlin though.

Crennel has shown interest in staying in Cleveland in some capacity if the new GM (possiblt Scott Pioli) wants, most likely it would be as Defensive Coordinator.

I think Crennel is quite pragmatic, and would be quite happy to rejoin this franchise if opportunity presented itself.


Natuarally he would have to beat out other candidates
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:25 pm

NYG Hampton 27 wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:
I think Gilbride to the Raiders could be a good option for Gilbride

He does like a pass happy offense (which Al Davis will provide) and there probably aren't too many NFL teams that would give him a shot at HC


If Gilbride does leave for the Raiders, i would like to see Charlie Weis considered as a candidate (assuming he is available). He hasn't been the best head coach, but is still a good OC and would likely do well under Coughlin.
I haven't heard Weis' name being thrown around in a while, if Gilbride left it would be great to get Weis. He certainly needs to get out of Notre Dame.

He sure does need to get out of Notre Dame.

I still think he would be a good candidate for the Giants to conisder if Gilbride leaves
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
TD wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:I would also be happy with Romeo Crennel as a DC option if Spags leaves
It would make sense. He certainly has the credentials as a DC and he has a former relationship with the giants organization. But I wonder if he'd be ok with the Giants passing him up in '03 at a head coaching job. Clearly the Giants made the right move with Coughlin though.

Crennel has shown interest in staying in Cleveland in some capacity if the new GM (possiblt Scott Pioli) wants, most likely it would be as Defensive Coordinator.

I think Crennel is quite pragmatic, and would be quite happy to rejoin this franchise if opportunity presented itself.


Natuarally he would have to beat out other candidates
That would be quite strange to be demoted to a coordinator from HC on the same team. Has that ever happened before, other than midseason replacement HCs.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:27 pm

TD wrote:Weis may be a good choice as an OC candidate but my gut tells me that Coughlin would just promote qb coach, Chris Palmer. Palmer has the experience and already knows Coughlins ways of doing things all too well.

I am not that big on Palmer (although he will be in the running)

I think for OC and DC, we will interview/cnvas a few candidates (likely privately) and take the best option


At least with the bye week, the front office will know early what is likely to happen and can make appropriate plans
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:28 pm

TD wrote:Weis may be a good choice as an OC candidate but my gut tells me that Coughlin would just promote qb coach, Chris Palmer. Palmer has the experience and already knows Coughlins ways of doing things all too well.
That makes sense, similar to Gilbride going from qb coach to OC.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:29 pm

NYG Hampton 27 wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:
TD wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:I would also be happy with Romeo Crennel as a DC option if Spags leaves
It would make sense. He certainly has the credentials as a DC and he has a former relationship with the giants organization. But I wonder if he'd be ok with the Giants passing him up in '03 at a head coaching job. Clearly the Giants made the right move with Coughlin though.

Crennel has shown interest in staying in Cleveland in some capacity if the new GM (possiblt Scott Pioli) wants, most likely it would be as Defensive Coordinator.

I think Crennel is quite pragmatic, and would be quite happy to rejoin this franchise if opportunity presented itself.


Natuarally he would have to beat out other candidates
That would be quite strange to be demoted to a coordinator from HC on the same team. Has that ever happened before, other than midseason replacement HCs.

No that I can recall off the top of my head, but it would be interesting

Crennel does have good rapport with his players
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:32 pm

seems there are five front runners for the Browns job, all are excellent candidates.


Browns | Garrett a candidate for head coaching job
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:42:22 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett is a candidate for the Cleveland Browns vacant head coaching job.

Browns | Re. Ryan a candidate for head coaching job
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:40:37 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is a candidate for the Cleveland Browns vacant head coaching job.

Browns | Schwartz a candidate for head coaching job
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:38:12 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is a candidate for the Cleveland Browns vacant head coaching job.

Browns | Spagnuolo a candidate for head coaching job
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:37:54 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is a candidate for the Cleveland Browns vacant head coaching job.

Browns | Team will interview Mangini
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:34:41 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of The Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns will interview former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini for their vacant head coaching spot, possibly as early as Tuesday, Dec. 30, or Wednesday, Dec. 31. Mangini began his NFL career with the Browns in 1994 as a ballboy and public relations assistant.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleveland Browns want to interview Steve Spagnuolo

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum