TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Fred Robbins had microfracture surgery

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fred Robbins had microfracture surgery

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:41 am

from http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_New-Weapons-on-the-D-Line/BLOG/299369/62900.html?widgetId=18327

"Iím ready to get back to work and we have OTAs this week, but Iím being held out to get my knee healthy and strong again after microfracture surgery. Weíre taking our time with it, just making sure Iím at my best health for training camp. I donít want to rush it and itís getting stronger and healthier each day."
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fred Robbins had microfracture surgery

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:44 am

here are comments from insidefootball.com's Patricia Traina

from http://trainathought.insidefootball.com/2009/06/dt-robbins-had-microfracture-surgery.html

"DT Robbins Had Microfracture Surgery

I recently finished drafting my annual article that will appear in our July issue in which I handicap the final 53-man roster. Well, one of my predictions which I made several weeks ago was that I didnít think the Giants would have DT Fred Robbins available, predicting that Robbins would be this yearís David Tyree (starting out of PUP),

It turns out I might have been onto something as Robbins disclosed on his official web site that heís actually recovering from microfracture surgery on his knee, a more complex procedure with a longer recovery period that certainly canít be helped by the fact that the 32-year old defensive tackle is carrying around some 300 lbs. of weight and relies on his explosiveness off.

This little information nugget explains many things, such as why the Giants focused on getting two defensive tackles tin free agency and why they havenít made a move to trade any of the depth of the defensive line. Further, it sort of clears up how theyíre going to get all their defensive linemen snaps.

Head coach Tom Coughlin said at Mondayís OTA workout that Robbinsí recovery would be a little slower than Barry Cofieldís. Cofield, as far as I know, did not have microfracture surgery and should be ready for training camp, though heíll likely start off on a limited basis.

Stay tuned for more as we're back at the OTAs on Friday."
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:57 pm

from blueinteractive.com

"Fred Robbinsí Offseason Knee Surgery More Serious Than Originally Reported: DT Fred Robbins revealed on his blog that the offseason knee surgery he had was actually not a scope but microfracture surgery. Microfracture surgery can take half a year or longer to recover from. Some never fully recover from the procedure. Former Giants CB Jason Sehorn and OC Dusty Ziegler had the surgery and were never the same.

ďWeíre taking our time with it, just making sure Iím at my best health for training camp,Ē wrote Robbins. ďI donít want to rush it and itís getting stronger and healthier each day. Last year I hurt my shoulder and broke both hands after a great start. Right now my hands are totally healed, my shoulder feels good and weíre just taking it slow with my knee.Ē

Head Coach Tom Coughlin indicated on Monday that Robbins most likely wonít be able to practice until at least Training Camp."
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:02 pm

I have to admit I am nrevous about this injury

I had forgotten that Ziegler and Sehorn had simllar surgeries; but they were never the same guys they used to be. I know medicine has come a long way since then and that more players are getting this kind of thing done, hopefully Robbins will be ok

But personally I am somewhat skeptical he will be anywhere near his best this season (wouldn't be surprised if he started on PUP and perhaps ended up on IR
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:45 pm

This is a big blow to the giants d-line. It wil be tough at Robbins age to come back from this and play at the same level he has played at the past few years. Luckily the Giants were aware enough to make the needed changes and prepare for the worse.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:37 am

I think the front office has been planning for it for a while. Canty and Bernard will make a big difference

I do hope they extend Barry Cofield's contract soon ; he is our only true NT and he is a solid starter.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top