TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giats problems start and finish up front

2 posters

Go down

Giats problems start and finish up front Empty Giats problems start and finish up front

Post  Big_Pete Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:57 am

The big area of concern to me is that we are simply not winning the battle of the trenches on either side of the ball. This isn't just a bad game or two, but has been the case for most of the season.

The other units, such as the WRs, QB, TEs, RBs, LBs and DBs are all playing reasonably solidly, but because we are not getting the job done up front, it is badly exposing the other units and they simply can't make up the difference.

This is somewhat unexpected situtaion as the trenches were considered by many to be the strength of our respective units and rated among the top in the NFL going into the season. Yes we have had injuries, but so does every team. What really disappoints me is that we don't seem anywhere near as physical as we usually have been in recent years.

Is this a case of other teams working out how to beat us in the trenches and the Giants being unable to adapt or execute the adjustments? I am not sure either way, but clearly we can't just keep waiting for things to click into place; some kind of significant changes needs to be made.

Maybe we should consider a shake up on both sides of the ball. Perhaps we could see how Beatty goes at LT and move Diehl inside to LG? Everyone knows that Diehl struggles against speed rushers and has needed alot of help in pass protection.

Defensively we could start Kiwanuka at LDE. Tuck is clearly hampered by his injury and is not the dominant player he usually is. Lets see what Kiwanuka can do and rotate Tuck to keep Osi and Kiwanuka fresh and use him a little more often inside at DT.
Sheridan and co have made it very clear that they consider Kiwanuka a starting caibre DE, so with Tuck being banged up lets give Kiwanuka an opportunity for more playing time.

Giants football is all about winning the battle of the trenches, if we can dominate on a consistent basis, then we have a good opportunity to win.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giats problems start and finish up front Empty Re: Giats problems start and finish up front

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:47 pm

Your right Pete.
Winning the O-line and D-line battles is where it needs to start.

How on earth the Giants are playing so bad at these positions is beyond me.

On paper, this is a stacked team on the D-line. The Giants spent a lot of money in the offseason to win these battles up front and the fans don't deserve the crappy play the we've been paying to watch.

On the offensive side, we know what the o-line is capable of and they aren't presenting it. No excuses!

Is Pat Flaherty to blame? Is he not getting the o-line players mentally prepared each and every week?
Is Eli not recognizing the defense? making the wrong audibles or not disguising them well enough?

There's a lot of questions that are being left unanswered and as fans we'll just get the same ol' cliches from the coaches press conferences.

Enough is Enough and it's time for better results Evil or Very Mad
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Giats problems start and finish up front Empty Re: Giats problems start and finish up front

Post  Big_Pete Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:51 am

I think it is a case of age in some cases

clearly O'Hara, Robbins and Bernard are not the same players they used to be.
Seubert is solid, but not exceptional

Diehl needs consistent help in pass blocking which means our packages are a little less effective.

I think Snee, Diehl and our Dline are trying too hard to compensate for the others and not focusing on their job.

I don't think it is Pat Flaherty too much, he got the team to being a dominant unit

I do think we need to look at a personel shake up though on both sides of the ball
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:52 am

I have put a long term solution in another thread, but something has to give now
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down