TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants sign Feagles and Seahawks Safety Deon Grant

3 posters

Go down

Giants sign Feagles and Seahawks Safety Deon Grant Empty Giants sign Feagles and Seahawks Safety Deon Grant

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

from espn.com

Feagles back in Giants camp

ESPN.com news services

Jeff Feagles is still kicking around the NFL.

The New York Giants re-signed the 44-year-old punter for his 23rd year in the league and eighth with New York.

Feagles wanted to make sure that the knee he had repaired in 2005 could handle another year of punting.

"I needed to do some things physically to figure out if I wanted to go and do this again," Feagles said. "So right after the season I took a little break and then jumped into working out on my own and seeing if I could do some things to strengthen my legs. I thought I had lost a little bit of leg strength last year. I haven't been able to train because of my knee the last couple of years. So I felt that I needed to get into the weight room and do some things and see if it was going to hold up. And I was going to make a decision after that."

Feagles has never missed a game in his career, playing in an NFL-leading 352 straight. Brett Favre is second on the list at 287.

He had a 40.7 yards per punt gross average in 2009 and put 23 punts inside the 20-yard line. But he would like to regain his 2008 form, when he made his second Pro Bowl.

That effort will be spurred by competition. The team last month signed Jy Bond, a former Australian Rules Football punter.

"In my meeting with Tom [Coughlin] it was very, very clear that I was going to compete for my job this year," Feagles said. "And my answer to that was, 'That's fine.' I have been competing for a long time. That is what makes it all better anyway, competition. Plus, we will have another leg in camp, which will be good for me, too. So I just have really said to myself, 'Listen, get a contract done and just go compete.' And I'm confident that I will be on the roster."

The Giants made two other moves Thursday, signing free agent safety Deon Grant, who played the past three seasons with Seattle, and rescinding their tender to restricted free agent safety C.C. Brown.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants sign Feagles and Seahawks Safety Deon Grant Empty Re: Giants sign Feagles and Seahawks Safety Deon Grant

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:36 pm

more info on Deon Grant

from http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/01/giants-sign-safey-deon-grant-continue-defensive-overhaul/

Giants Sign Safey Deon Grant, Continue Defensive Overhaul

4/01/2010 5:31 PM ET By Anthony Olivieri

The New York Giants continued to bolster their secondary Thursday, when they signed safety Deon Grant. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but New Jersey's Star-Ledger reported that Grant stated that he signed a one-year deal.

"I'm happy to be here," Grant, formerly of the Seattle Seahawks, told Giants.com. "I wanted to be here when I went to Seattle, but they came into the picture late. This opportunity on the second go-round -- it was destined. I'm happy about the coaching staff and my new teammates and I'm ready to help them win the Super Bowl again."

Grant will join former Arizona Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle, whom the Giants inked to a lucrative five-year deal early last month. New York hopes the duo can improve a secondary -- and an entire defense, for that matter -- that was regularly shredded last season en route to an embarrassing finish.

Of course, the Giants' new defensive backfield will serve another purpose, as an insurance policy for rising star safety Kenny Phillips, who missed the final 14 games of the 2009 season thanks to knee surgery. It's never clear how players will recover from serious knee injuries, though Phillips is expected to be active when New York opens its season.
Grant, however, can provide stability if injuries again become an issue. He has started 144 consecutive games over the last nine seasons, during which he has played three campaigns apiece with the Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars and the Seahawks. Grant's streak is the fifth-longest among active players and the longest for a current safety.

"We signed Deon Grant because, number one, he's durable," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. "He really hasn't missed time. He's a durable veteran who will bring depth and leadership to our safety position."

The former second-round pick of the Panthers in 2000 missed his rookie season with a fractured hip but has since started every game. His career totals include 640 tackles (522 solo), 26 interceptions and 4 1/2 sacks, including 78 tackles (60 solo) and three interceptions with the Seahawks last season.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants sign Feagles and Seahawks Safety Deon Grant Empty Re: Giants sign Feagles and Seahawks Safety Deon Grant

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 pm

I really like the Deon Grant signing, he gives good experienced depth to our safety group, he certainly is a huge upgrade over CC Brown
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:46 pm

I think we will still draft a safety, probably somewhere in rounds 2-5 depending on how the draft unfolds.

That would give us a good depth chart of
Rolle, Phillips, Grant, Johnson, Rookie

The big thing is that we aren't going to totally rely on Phillips this season, hopefully he is healthy and all signs so far seem to indicate he is recovering well, but it takes over a year for a player to come back 100% from a major knee injury like that.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:09 pm

I liked the idea of signing Grant when we first looked at him before he signed with Seattle but that was as a starter. I like it now with him as our 3rd safety. Our 3rd safety plays much more than others. Brown is more of a SS and was playing out of position last season. He's actually a decent run defending safety.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:56 am

Grant is a good signing. He can cover if needed, much unlike CC Brown.

I really like this signing. He should easily win the third saftey job and can still start if we need him to.

Also glad Feagles re-signed. Competition is good even with his experience.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:54 am

I think we will add a safety in the draft

I also think there is a good chance we add another corner as well (either draft or a free agent)

But I certainly like how our secondary is shaping up
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 am

Jeff Feagles has some really tough competition with Jy Bond, I think it will bring out the best in both players.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Bond has a chance to learn from the best now. I like what we are doing so far this offseason. Now we just need to sign a kicker. Rackers is still on the market. Its Tynes for Tynes to go!
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Pizan wrote:Bond has a chance to learn from the best now. I like what we are doing so far this offseason. Now we just need to sign a kicker. Rackers is still on the market. Its Tynes for Tynes to go!
I agree. Tynes has lost his leg strength on kick-offs and I cringe on every fg attempt.
Gimme Rackers and the Giants free agency period has been acceptable for me.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Rackers signed elsewhere I believe

I wonder if Feagles or mpore likley Bond could do a passable job on kickoffs?

what are the other options?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 pm

The Giants have Sam Swank on the roster. not sure how he is on kick-offs though.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down