TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Latest offseason thinking on the 2011 Giants

2 posters

Go down

Latest offseason thinking on the 2011 Giants   Empty Latest offseason thinking on the 2011 Giants

Post  Big_Pete Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Here is my latest thinking on the 2011 Giants offseason.

I expect a new CBA will be done, sometime after the draft. This means that no players can be traded or needs filled. We also don't know the situation whether most of our guys will be RFAs or UFAs.

It means teams will likely angle more towards filling needs in the draft and secondly for free agents it means many teams could have already addressed needs.

I believe the priority is to upgrade the offensive line and defensive back seven this offseason.

Note

There are some players I would like to trade (such as Sintim), however without a CBA player trades cannot happen and the Giants aren't just going to let players walk, so it is likely these guys at least make training camp.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Latest offseason thinking on the 2011 Giants   Empty Re: Latest offseason thinking on the 2011 Giants

Post  Big_Pete Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Draft

19. T Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
Castonzo is a good fit at OT and can play either side. With both starting tackles over 30 and McKenzie entering his contract year.

52. DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State
An ideal fit to replace Cofield at UT in our 4-3. Paea is coming back from knee surgery, but he is great value here. This pick heralds Cofield's departure.

74. C Stefan Wisniewski, Penn State
We need to ideally groom a Center as O'Hara's eventual replacement and Wisniewski is an excellent fit and good value here.
I did seriously look at OLB (Moch, whom I really like), but Wisniewski is a much better fit for need and value.

117. OT Jah Reid, Central Florida
Reid is a small school Tackle who projects well as a RT. With the Andrews' injury situation it doesn't hurt to re-tool on both sides.

185. CB Richard Sherman, Stanford
Sherman is a talented developmental CB (a former WR) with good physical tools and instincts, he upgrades our CB depth.

198. DT Chris Neild, West Virginia
A very solid, under rated DT prospect, Neild will allow us to let Bernard go and give us a very stout DT rotation.

202. SS/ST Brian Rolle, Ohio State
Rolle is a college LB that is likely going to have to move to SS in the pros. He is a stud special teamer and that will earn his roster spot.

222. RB Da'Rel Scott, Maryland
A RB with excellent speed, decent production and has some experience returning kicks. Scott complements Jacobs and Bradshaw well.

UDFA. S Mark LeGree, Appalachian State
A productive small school safety with excellent balls skills (21 PBU, 22 Int in his last 3 seasons (39 GP)) and good physical tools to upgrade our safety depth and replace Michael Johnson.

I really wanted to pick LBs in the draft, but I found it difficult to find players who were good value and significant upgrades over the players currently on the roster, we also have a poor history of upgrading LBs through the draft; I think we upgrade our LBs through free agency.

I also wanted to pick a CB earlier, but we need three starting calibre CBs and Ross can't be relied on to be the third (although injury has been a factor). I think we look for a solid CB in free agency.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Latest offseason thinking on the 2011 Giants   Empty Re: Latest offseason thinking on the 2011 Giants

Post  Big_Pete Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 pm

Free Agency

With this draft we turn to free agency.

I think we let Cofield, Johnson, Wilkinson and Blackburn go and Bernard is a likely camp cut. With this draft, I also think we don't pick up the option on Andrews.

I think Jacobs and O'Hara rework their deals.

I also think we could let a lot of players go as we overhaul our roster; I think this will include Blackburn as we try to upgrade special teams and LB.

Resignings

Matthias Kiwanuka - I think with the depth at DE in the draft, Kiwanuka gets a moderate 1 year deal.

Deon Grant - Grant wants to start, but gets plenty of playing time here. I also think Grant could push Phillips for playing time.

Steve Smith - We need to keep our most consistent and reliable WR. Coming of his serious injury, his value could be a little lower.

Ahmad Bradshaw - There are plenty of RBs available in the draft and free agency, I think he can be resigned for a moderate contract.

Kevin Boss - Boss is solid, but unspectular. Although we would ideally like to upgrade TE, we have more urgent needs elsewhere. Boss gives us good value with a moderately priced starter

Dave Tollefson - A good cheap backup and special teamer.

Signings

I think we will target a few positions in free agency, LB is the priority, but I think we will also upgrade the secondary.

I could see us signing something like:

LB Rocky McIntosh - slots in at SLB replacing Bulluck. McIntosh is not a good fit for Washington's 3-4.

LB Barrett Ruud - a luxury, but is a big upgrade over Goff in the middle. Ruud is not happy he hasn't been resigned for two years.

LB Thomas Howard - a cheap free agent, but he adds the speed and athleticism we ideally want. He doesn't feature in Oakland's plans, Howard backs up and gives legitimate competition to Boley at WLB.

CB Richard Marshall - a reasonably priced free agent with good experience. Marshall gives us three starting calibre CBs which we need to get the job done (injury is a factor, but Ross has been dissapointing). Marshall is not happy with not getting a new contract. With the draft loaded at CB and a very talented CB group in free agency, Marshall will be available for good value.

S Jarrad Page - a good value backup with some upside.
This would give us a potential roster something like

Contracts

Contract-wise the breakdown would be something like:

Substantial contracts (2): Ruud, Smith

Moderate contracts (6): Boss, Bradshaw, Grant, McIntosh, Marshall, Kiwanuka

Cheaper contracts (2): Howard, Tollefson, Page

Last edited by Big_Pete on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 pm

Potential 2011 Roster

This would give us a potential roster something like:

QB (2): Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfels/ Jim Sorgi

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, DJ Ware/ Da'Rel Scott

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WR (6): Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon/ Darius Reynaud, Devin Thomas/ Derek Hagan/ Victor Cruz/ Duke Calhoun

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

OT (5): Kareem McKenzie, David Diehl, Will Beatty, Anthony Castonzo, Jah Reid/ Jamon Meredith

G (3): Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Mitch Petrus/ Kevin Boothe

C (3): Shaun O'Hara, Stefan Wisniewski, Adam Koets

DE (4): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Matthias Kiwanuka/ Dave Tollefson

DT (4): Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Stephen Paea, Chris Neild/ Rocky Bernard

SLB (2): Rocky McIntosh, Clint Sintim

MLB (2): Barrett Ruud, Jon Goff/ Phillip Dillard

WLB (2): Michael Boley, Thomas Howard

CB (5): Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Richard Marshall, Aaron Ross, Richard Sherman/ Bruce Johnson

S (5): Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Jarrad Page/ Michael Coe , Brian Rolle

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Matt Dodge

LS (1): Zak DeOssie

Notes.

The Oline is loaded, but deliberately so. O'Hara and Seubert are coming back from injury, plus 4 of our starters last year are 30+ and McKenzie (2011), O'Hara (2011) and Seubert (2012) are off contract soon. We need to get younger and healthier on the line and groom guys for the future. Will Beatty may be in the mix at tackle, but the jury is out on him at this point.

Diehl is the incumbent at LT, but he could easily move inside to LG if/when a better option is available at LT. Also Castonzo and Wisniewski are quality prospects, both of them could push for playing time sooner rather than later. Considering the injuries at center last year, it also makes sense to keep Koets around as a cheap backup.

At FB, I expect Hedgecock to be healthy; Pascoe offers insurance but I think he will be the blocking TE we need.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:19 am

btw I have our needs in this order of priority

1. Linebacker

2. Center

3. Defensive Tackle

4. Offensive Tackle

5. Corner

6. Safety

7. Special Teams

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:01 pm

I thought you already had your final mock? lol. This draft is an A+. Although I don't think all those FA signing are too realistic.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Pizan wrote:I thought you already had your final mock? lol. This draft is an A+. Although I don't think all those FA signing are too realistic.

I had, but I am trying to work out how no free agency will impact the draft and vice versa. This year is a very interesting situation.

I would also like to fit S Mark LeGree from Appalachian State as a late round pick or udfa.

perhaps the FA is somewhat unrealistic, but I think that is the general kind of thing we will look at.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Big_Pete wrote:btw I have our needs in this order of priority

1. Linebacker

2. Center

3. Defensive Tackle

4. Offensive Tackle

5. Corner

6. Safety

7. Special Teams

I think Safety is a little higher than most people think. Right now Grant is a FA. If Rolle can't keep his mouth shut he may have a short stay here. In the end I think Grant is resigned but as of right now, we have only two safeties.

I like your top 3 but then I would have it Safety, OT, CB
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Pizan wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:btw I have our needs in this order of priority

1. Linebacker

2. Center

3. Defensive Tackle

4. Offensive Tackle

5. Corner

6. Safety

7. Special Teams

I think Safety is a little higher than most people think. Right now Grant is a FA. If Rolle can't keep his mouth shut he may have a short stay here. In the end I think Grant is resigned but as of right now, we have only two safeties.

I like your top 3 but then I would have it Safety, OT, CB

You are probably right, however like LB I don't see any great value until later rounds.

I do think Grant will be resigned and could push Phillips for playing time. If Grant leaves, I think we bring in another free agent; possibly someone like Roman Harper or Quintin Mikel, Dawan Landry, Daniel Manning or Tanard Jackson.

I did add a safety as an udfa.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down