TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Thinking about the next offseason moves

3 posters

Go down

Thinking about the next offseason moves Empty Thinking about the next offseason moves

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 am

I have been putting some thoughts into the next offseason moves.

Obviously we will add a MLB, but I think Reese will try and resolve that before the draft.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if we signed an RFA (or trade a pick).

The interesting thing is once MLB is resolved, we have no key needs (although there are positions we will be looking to upgrade). Realistically we have plenty of picks to address these postions.

If we sign an RFA, I had thought the most likely option would be Kirk Morrison for the 3rd.

But what about DeMeco Ryans or Barrett Ruud? Sure a 1st and a 3rd would be expensive, but either gives us a stud young MLB with great experience to plug straight in.

What about thinking outside the box with someone like Rocky McIntosh?

My preferred option would be to look into a trade for Paul Poslunzy who is entering the last year of his rookie deal. It would likely cost a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Poslunzy knows Fewell's system and it allows Buffalo to retool their defense with key needs, particularly if we add a player as well.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Thinking about the next offseason moves Empty Re: Thinking about the next offseason moves

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 am

My current thinking is that we will add a MLB before the draft.

remember we don't usually rely on rookies to start, we let them develop behind vet starters.

I also think strongly that the starter at MLB isn't in the building yet.

I think we will very likely look at all the options (and we have plenty) for a young experienced vet LB and will either sign an RFA or make a trade.

At this point I would be surprised for us to have all our picks come draft day, but I also expect we will have added a MLB to the roster.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Thinking about the next offseason moves Empty Re: Thinking about the next offseason moves

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 am

I don't know why, but I have this feeling that the Giants are going to bring in Morrison by giving up a third and signing him to a very cheap contract.
Especially since Morrison hasn't really been drumming up a lot of interest from other teams.

I'm not crazy about the first round LB prospects in this years draft including McClain and Weatherspoon. ehh... but what do I know Neutral
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

TD wrote:I don't know why, but I have this feeling that the Giants are going to bring in Morrison by giving up a third and signing him to a very cheap contract.
Especially since Morrison hasn't really been drumming up a lot of interest from other teams.

I'm not crazy about the first round LB prospects in this years draft including McClain and Weatherspoon. ehh... but what do I know Neutral

I am not sure on Morrison

But if the Giants are seriously considering using a 1st round pick on a MLB, then I think they will be equally thinking of signing or trading for a young proven veteran such as DeMeco Ryans, Barrett Ruud or Derrick Johnson.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Well you guys know I'm in favor of trading for hawk but I really like weatherspoon. I think he'll turn out better than mcclain. The other options I'm not crazy about. If ryans only cost a first than I'd consider it but it's a first and third. That's a no way for me. Same with rudd and it's s no all around for Derrick Johnson. Morrison is trouble vs the run. I rather take my chances in the draft. When we drafted sintim they mentioned he might get work at MLB. So I guess that's always a possibility. We have plenty of options it's just pickin the right one.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:52 pm

You guys heard it here first.
Morrison will be a Giant in a trade involving Sinorice Moss.

I remember back at Giants camp in Moss's rookie year Moss mentioned if he didn't get drafted by the Giants he would have liked to have been drafted by a west coast team.
Now, if he meant the raiders then ol'crazy horse Davis will be right on it.
After all, Morrison was a huge Raider fan gowing up and look where he landed.

Ok, Ok... so this probably has no bearing of truth in reality so I'll just call it my own gut instinct.
lol!
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 pm

I think the best combination would be trading for AJ Hawk to play SLB (with Sintim moving to DE) and drafting Weatherspoon to play MLB.

I could see us trading Sinorice Moss for Kirk Morrison, but that would primarily be for veteran experience whilst a rookie develops, not neccessarily the long term answer to our MLB needs
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:21 am

If your looking for a MLB to play outside at strong that should be Morrison not Hawk. Morrison is actually much better suited for SLB than MLB. With our DT's it would be very ugly if Morrison was in the Middle.

I really think Hawk can still do well at MLB in a 4-3. Moving him now would be a mistake.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 am

Pizan wrote:If your looking for a MLB to play outside at strong that should be Morrison not Hawk. Morrison is actually much better suited for SLB than MLB. With our DT's it would be very ugly if Morrison was in the Middle.

I really think Hawk can still do well at MLB in a 4-3. Moving him now would be a mistake.
Agreed.
That is why I think the Morrison pick-up would not be too bad. He's a likely candidate for two positions.
And let's face it. Even if you don't like him he's proven more than any LBer we have at sam or mike at this time.

I watched Hawk play at Ohio St. and that dude can cover some ground in a hurry. He had great instincts also.
If he can get back to that type of player then he would be a great fit as a Giants ILB.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down