TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Official 2011 Draft Thread

+2
NYG Hampton 27
Pizan
6 posters

Go down

Official 2011 Draft Thread Empty Official 2011 Draft Thread

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Thoughts?

Best moves IMO so far. Denver taking Von Miller. Dallas fighting temptation and taking a OT. And Jacksonville making a trade up to get their franchise QB.

Fairly on the board, do we consider a trade up?
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Official 2011 Draft Thread Empty Re: Official 2011 Draft Thread

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:40 pm

There goes Pouncey, Ingram and Castonzo are still on the board. Skins on the clock. Hopefully its Dalton or Mallet.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:12 pm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/prince-amukamara?id=2495108

First pick is the Prince. Amukamara, CB from Nebraska.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:25 pm

I've got a feeling that the Giants just do BNA: Best Name Available.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 am

I really like the pick of Amukamara

he is a legit top 10 talent in my opinion.

Remember after the last season, Reese mentioned the priority of upgrading the defensive back seven.

Sure Oline would have been nice (I think we were planning on Catonzo until Amukamara fell into our lap), but we can find good linemen later.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  markyt79 Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:42 am

Getting Amukamara there was a steal. The way the Giants draft, it is no surprise they pounced on a top 10 talent like that. They never reach. Plus he is a fast physical corner, exactly how they like em. He should do great in improving the secondary and special teams. GREAT PICK!
markyt79
markyt79
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  markyt79 Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:44 am

markyt79 wrote:Getting Amukamara there was a steal. The way the Giants draft, it is no surprise they pounced on a top 10 talent like that. They never reach. Plus he is a fast physical corner, exactly how they like em. He should do great in improving the secondary and special teams. GREAT PICK!

When I said "never" reach I meant hardly ever...haha Wink
markyt79
markyt79
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:41 am

NYG Hampton 27 wrote:I've got a feeling that the Giants just do BNA: Best Name Available.

Osi, Kiwi, and Prince. I think we just like guys with long as African names. I'm disappointed with the pick. I much rather the trade down.

Prince, IMO was one of the most overrated prospects in this years draft class. He struggled vs the top competition he faced as a senior. Mid 20's to early 2nd round is what I had him graded as.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:10 am

Well, I think we had bigger needs on the o-line or in search of a running back.
Prince is a good pick but I don't think he starts over Terell Thomas this season. He will be a Ross replacement for now and maybe even get some work in at safety.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:17 am

So what are everyone's early picks for round 2?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 am

Big_Pete wrote:So what are everyone's early picks for round 2?
OL, Marcus Cannon is my second pick for the Giants. If Cannon falls to us it would still fill a Giants need with a quality player.

ILB, Kelvin Sheppard maybe in the third.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigblue25 Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:38 am

I am extremely happy, I think they have been looking for a first round corner for awhile. We looked at McCourty last year and he had a tremendous impact for NE. We have the Saints,Packers who like to spread the field. Atlanta just got Jones to pair with Roddy White. We have NE and Miami out of the AFC East. Plus, Jackson,Maclin,Avant and Bryant,Austin and Hurd in our division. I think we look at Williams or Cannon in round two, or trade up for Ayers
Bigblue25
Bigblue25
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Bigblue25 wrote:I am extremely happy, I think they have been looking for a first round corner for awhile. We looked at McCourty last year and he had a tremendous impact for NE. We have the Saints,Packers who like to spread the field. Atlanta just got Jones to pair with Roddy White. We have NE and Miami out of the AFC East. Plus, Jackson,Maclin,Avant and Bryant,Austin and Hurd in our division. I think we look at Williams or Cannon in round two, or trade up for Ayers
This is true the more I think about it BB25.
The Eagles have explosive WR's, as well as some other teams that you mention.
A first round center or running back isn't going to really help much with that but a first round corner just might.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Bigblue25 wrote:I am extremely happy, I think they have been looking for a first round corner for awhile. We looked at McCourty last year and he had a tremendous impact for NE. We have the Saints,Packers who like to spread the field. Atlanta just got Jones to pair with Roddy White. We have NE and Miami out of the AFC East. Plus, Jackson,Maclin,Avant and Bryant,Austin and Hurd in our division. I think we look at Williams or Cannon in round two, or trade up for Ayers

I see what your saying but I'm sure a trade was available for us. We could have traded back acquired picks and grabbed our 4th corner in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Who I want? Bruce Carter or Drake Nevis.

Who we'll draft? Ben Ijalana.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Pizan wrote:

Who I want? Bruce Carter or Drake Nevis.

Who we'll draft? Ben Ijalana.
BNA, gotta be done.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Just a quick bit of info.
Reese has already named Prince as the guy to cover Dez Bryant. That is going to be a big challenge to take on.

Personally, I think Prince would match up better with Roy Williams, who isn't as good as Bryant imo.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:06 pm

I am hoping Stephen Paea is there

If not maybe Quan Sturivant or Stefen Wisniewski

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:31 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Just a quick bit of info.
Reese has already named Prince as the guy to cover Dez Bryant. That is going to be a big challenge to take on.

Personally, I think Prince would match up better with Roy Williams, who isn't as good as Bryant imo.

Agreed. So you think that's the reasoning behind it? To find a guy to match up vs Dez? Thats good thinking, I was more concerned with a guy to cover DeShean Jackson.

2 or 3 years from now this is a good pick if we let Ross and eventually Webster go.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Pizan wrote:

Agreed. So you think that's the reasoning behind it? To find a guy to match up vs Dez? Thats good thinking, I was more concerned with a guy to cover DeShean Jackson.

2 or 3 years from now this is a good pick if we let Ross and eventually Webster go.

I think the Eagles game was a factor. The other big factor was injuries at CB.

I think Price will compete early for playing time.

It is worth noting both Ross and Thomas are off contract after this season.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Pizan wrote:

I think what Reese was basically saying is that you need three good corners to go at any given time.
Ross is always injured and I have very little faith in Bruce Johnson stepping in.

As for Deshawn Jackson. Good luck with anyone who has to cover him. Patrick Peterson was long gone before the Giants pick but he has the speed to keep up.

I'm just happy band practice is cancelled so I get to watch the draft tonight. Very Happy
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  markyt79 Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm

This is most likely exactly what the front office was thinking when they pulled the trigger on Prince. Our secondary has been showing that it too often can't handle the multiple reciever sets that get thrown at them. This Prince kid has all of the tools and was only looked over early in the draft because other teams were reaching on QBs. You have to go with value in this situation and not reach on a player that is a need. As for trading down, I'm sure if they got a reasonable offer then they would have done it. They had Prince high on their boards for a reason and they just kept saying that they couldn't believe he was available in the press conferences, so they would have had to get a pretty good offer to let that pick go.
markyt79
markyt79
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down