TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending

2 posters

Go down

Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending Empty Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:08 am

Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending
07/14/2011 | Author Pat Traina

Giants DT Barry Cofield has always been the ultimate professional, even if things didn’t go the way he hoped.

Last year because of the league’s brewing labor unrest, Cofield, who had looked forward to become an unrestricted free agent, had those hopes dashed when the rules of the uncapped season rendered him as a restricted free agent who was tendered and retained by the Giants at a relatively bargain basement price.

Rather than complain, Cofield shut his mouth, went to work, and had one of his best seasons of football.

This year, with players expected to be granted unrestricted free agency status if they have at least four years of accrued service, Cofield sounds like a man who’s ready to test the market. In an interview last night on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Cofield, who spoke with hosts Bryan McGovern and Gil Brandt, sounded like he’s ready to move on.

“The fact of the matter is they haven’t offered me a contract; we never negotiated,” Cofield said.

“People ask me, where do I envision myself? Every time I close my eyes I only can see myself as number 96 for the Giants. That’s really the only thing I can envision but at the same time I understand the reality of it. I understand there are all kinds of things that go into every team’s decisions.”

A couple of factors that are likely to go into the Giants’ decision on whether to retain Cofield include the pair of young defensive tackles, Linval Joseph and Marvin Austin, both of whom were drafted in the second round of the 2010 and 2011 draft respectfully. Then there is the matter of the big money the Giants currently have tied up in Chris Canty and Rocky Bernard.

That’s why Cofield believes his time as a member of the Giants is coming to an end.

“I’ve enjoyed my time with the Giants but I understand that realistically there’s a great chance that I could be one of our Giants free agents that would end up moving,” he said.

Where Cofield ends up moving to remains to be seen. Washington and St. Louis are said to be two teams that have interest in the soon-to-be unrestricted free agent.

However, Cofield said he isn’t closing the door on returning to the Giants.

“If the numbers really were close, I feel like I’d definitely be inclined to stay,” he said. “Based on the guys that we do have on our D-line, the other free agents we have, the money they have tied up at the defensive tackle position, you know, I have a hard time envisioning them being able to offer the same type of deal that a team that’s starving for a D tackle or a team that just has a lot of money to spend could offer.

“Honestly if it were close, why uproot your family? Why change everything that you know and you love? Our D-line — we’re a close-knit group, we play well together and we’ve had a lot of success. So you don’t want to change that just for no reason.”

Still, Cofield understands that the NFL is a business and that rosters change every year. That’s why he’s looking at doing what’s in his best interest in trying to score a big pay day now, while he is able to.

“You only get a short window to play this game, it’s very dangerous and then the contracts are one sided, they’re not guaranteed,” he said. “They can cut you anytime so you have to do what’s best for yourself and your family and your financial future. So that’s going to come first and after that, obviously, there’s a special place in my heart for the Giants and Big Blue.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending Empty Re: Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:10 am

ideally I would like to ditch Bernard and keep Cofield if at all possible
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending Empty Re: Barry Cofield Acknowledges His Time as A Giant is Likely Ending

Post  Pizan Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:06 pm

I'd love to have Cofield back but I just can't see how that is possible. He wants paid and IMO he's the best under tackle available in free agency.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:46 am

Pizan wrote:I'd love to have Cofield back but I just can't see how that is possible. He wants paid and IMO he's the best under tackle available in free agency.

I could see it if we cut Bernard and create some room by reworking contracts

Cofield has said that he wants to be a giant and if NYG's offer is in the same ballpark he will resign, so he will probably take a little less to stay here
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down