TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

My thoughts on Barry Cofield

Go down

My thoughts on Barry Cofield Empty My thoughts on Barry Cofield

Post  Big_Pete Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46 am

Cofield is an RFA this year, here is my expectations and why.

Firstly I think the Giants wil give him the 2nd round tender. We want to keep him, but certainly won't over pay.

I think he will get signed off the tender by another team, here is why.

The free agent DTs is very thin. Cofield is a proven, young DT who is strong at the point of attack and pretty agile; he is an ideal fit for a 3-4 DE. I expect the other young RFA DTs to get higher tenders, DT is a premium position.

There are alot of teams retooling to 3-4 defenses or wanting to upgrade their 3-4 Dline.

There is alot of talent at DT/DE this year, but all the potential immediate starters will be gone by the top of the 2nd round. It is worth remembering that DTs often take a little time to adjust to the NFL.

A 3-4 team could plug Cofield in right away and address other needs early.

Top of the list is New England. They have three second round picks (44, 47, 53) and need a DE to replace Seymour.
They also have quite a few other needs. The top tiers of DL will be gone before 44, by signing Cofield (and giving up #53), they solidify their DL with a young, proven starter (with a SB ring to boot). This lets them upgrade other positions with picks 22, 44, 47 (eg WR, OLB etc).

Contract wise, Cofield would be quite reasonable.

This gives them a very good starting DL of
LDE: Warren, Green
NT: Wilfork, Brace
RDE: Cofield, Wright
and lets them address their other urgent needs.

You know belichek is going to overhaul that defense.

I could equally see teams like the Jets, Chargers, Bills, Redskins and Browns (among others) also willing to give up a 2nd to sign Cofield as a 3-4 DE
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down