TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Canty and Alford done for 2009?

3 posters

Go down

Canty and Alford done for 2009? Empty Canty and Alford done for 2009?

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Canty has a torn hamstring and Alford has a torn MCL

neither are simple imjuries; at this stage I am expecting them to be out for a while yet

they cannot go on the pup list, so would need to remain inactive on the roster until they are ready.

The problem is one or both may require surgery, is so they aren't likely to get on the field anytime soon.

Both could be in a similar position to Osi last year, put on IR and get ready for 2010.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Canty and Alford done for 2009? Empty Re: Canty and Alford done for 2009?

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:34 am

This is awful, damn, two good interior lineman go down before the season starts. Hopefully they aren't put on IR and can get better soon, but with tears that could be the season. Damn.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:44 pm

here is a letter I sent in to inside football.com

There has been a lot of negativity about our defensive line, to some extent that is understandable, after all you are only as good as your last game. But looking deeper, it is not that bad.

Lets consider the worst case scenario with Canty and Alford going on IR.. Our Dline still has 3 starting calibre DEs and 3 startting calibre DTs; that is still a very strong rotation. Assuming we go for similar roster numbers. That leaves perhaps 3 roster spots for our young guys, Tollefsen is a DE option, Evans and Henderson could fill the DT/DE role, Bryant and Clark are decent run stoppers and Douzable is a fairly disruptive DT. I am comfortable that any of these young guys will be solid.

Unlike our starters, our young guys have been getting a lot of work and are looking quite solid in practice and preseason; I am quite comfortable with this guys filling in the rotation behind the starters. Whilst it it not preferable, if they are likely our for an extended period, I would rather Canty and Alford go on IR now (getting completely healthy for 2010) and retain some of the promising youngsters rather than keep Canty and Alford inactive on the roster for an extended period and leave our DT rotation extremely thin for a substantial period, particularly as Robbins, Cofield and Bernard have had their preseason preparation disrupted by injury.

I suspect part of the struggles of our line is a combination of being disrupted by injury (meaning we can't practice our probable rotation) and believing in the hype a little and taking things a little for granted. Coughlin and the coaching staff will be on the job, the Dline will be very good this season. – Peter M.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:54 pm

You know that is really true about our D-line Pete. We do have options but also, like you said "it's not preferrable"

I don't think too many people are thinking the season is tanked if Alford and Canty don't come along but we could be in much the same kind of scenario as we were last year. Such as the players wearing down too quick.

Robbins did look a bit out of shape playing against the Bears. Of course we can all understand why since he's coming off injury. However, this is a contract year for Robbins and that is when players usually play there hardest.

I'm not sure what we have in Bernard yet at this point since he hasn't been practicing much this offseason. I can only imagine he isn't in the greatest of shape at this point.

We should get the most out of Cofield this year since he also is playing for a new contract.

The other guys you mention will probably be more of a wait and watch approach.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:46 am

our Dline will be fine, it is more critical that our DEs stay healthy anyways.

I am hopefull that Canty and Alford will be back, either way we need a decision on them sooner rather than later. A couple of weeks is all the time we have.

Don't write off our young guys either, they could well surprise.

One guy I do like is Evans as a developmental DE/DT; he should be good with a year or two in our system
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down