TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants Offseason thoughts IV

2 posters

Go down

Giants Offseason thoughts IV Empty Giants Offseason thoughts IV

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:21 am

With the scouting combine this week and the recent moves, I am starting to get a feel for what I think the Giants front office are doing this offseason.

Based on that, here is what I would like to see happen

I think Feagles will be back as will Bernard who gives us a solid veteran. If healthy Bernard does add to our rotation and is likely better value than anyone we can bring in via free agency.

I think the Giants will be judicious in free agency this year.

I also think with the preference for the passing game in the NFL these days, we will use a higher ratio of nickle packages.

Free Agency

I don't expect the Giants to be particularly active in free agency signing. I expect that Carr and Robbins will not be back and that we tender most (if not all) of our RFAs.

There are some positions we ideally would like to upgrade (such as Kicker and DT), but the options available are not a significant upgrade over the guys we have to warrant signing them.

Sign UFA DE Aaron Kampfman, Packers
Kampfman is an under-rated DE and quality pass rusher who won't break the bank. Joining the Giants DE rotation replacing Osi is a good fit and reunites him with his former Dline coach.

Sign UFA QB Mark Brunnell, Saints
Brunnell knows Coughlin and makes a decent backup if Carr departs. This gives us an experienced veteran insurance for Bhomar's development

Trades

Trade Umenyiora to Denver for their 1st and 3rd round picks (#11, #80)

It is currently 50-50 whether Umenyiora is back.
San Diego is reportedly very interested in Osi. I think he will be worth a 1st and 3rd (#28 and #91) and if San Diego offers that, Osi's bags are packed. However I think Denver will offer more.

They need additional talent on defense and Umenyiora's speed and pass rush ability can take them to the next level. The fact that Osi is young (28) and cheap and locked up for a while are bonuses.

Adding a quality edge rusher in Umenyiora to what is already a decent defense will the Broncos a dominant defense and legitimate playoff aspirations. The Broncos have been very willing to make trades for experienced veterans and it is likely they will almost certainly have an additional first round pick when Brandon Marshall is traded.

This allows the Giants to leap frog Miami ensuring McClain is still available.

Draft

11. MLB Rolando McClain, Alabama (6-4, 258, 4.60)
With limited options in free agency and unwilling to give premium picks for a RFA, the Giants break with tradition and select a stud LB early. Last year the Giants broke with tradition and selected the first 1st round WR since Hilliard; this year we draft the first 1st round LB since Lawrence Taylor. Like the WR group last year, the Giants will upgrade the LB corps using the draft and current players stepping up. McClain will have to earn the starting job, but that should happen sooner rather than later.

15. OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa (6-6, 312, 5.00)
The OT group is stacked and there is a good chance a quality one is available here. The Giants need to upgrade the Oline and need a future replacement for both tackle spots (assuming Diehl moves to LG at some point). Tackles are very costly in free agency, and most of the UFAs out there are in the twilight of their careers; we need to upgrade through the draft. If Bulaga is here he is too good to pass up.
" Physical blocker with a nasty disposition and well-rounded game." draftcountdown.com

46. C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida (6-5, 318, 5.25)
It is time grooming to replace Shaun O’Hara as starter (Seubert is a short term option at best). Pouncey is smart, strong, tough and athletic; he also is intelligent, making all the line calls for Gators
Pouncey has considerable experience with Shotgun snaps and can likely fill long snapper duties if required.

76. SS Rennie Curran, Georgia (5-11, 225, 4.55)
Curran has the speed and athleticism to move to SS. He is a tackling machine with very good coverage skills who makes plays all over the field. With Phillips back, FS is very solid, we need someone who can play closer to the action and upgrade strong safety. Curran is an ideal fit at SS playing closer to the action and allowing Phillips to play the centre -field FS role.
"A fire ant on the field, Curran lacks size but makes up for it with speed, agility and ferocity" cbssports.com

80. FS Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech (6-1, 210, 4.55)
Burnett is a little raw, but he gives us a decent FS with excellent ball skills to backup Phillips. This may be something of a luxury pick, but Burnett is great value here; it also gives us insurance for Phillips recovery as well as our teams coverage and special teams.

112. CB Donovan Warren, Michigan (6-0, 185, 4.45)
Warren adds a CB with very good speed, ball skills and is very physical for his size. Warren is great value here and is available due to the exceptional DB depth. This upgrades the CB depth and special teams; Dockery is likely back for one year at best

143. DE Lindsay Witten, Connecticut (6-5, 260, 4.75)
A small school DE who can get to the QB. Witten upgrades our pass rush and gives a talented edge rusher to develop for the future. The DE class is loaded with talent and Witten is great value.

174. TE Michael Hoomanawanui, Illinois (6-5, 270, 4.80)
A strong, athletic TE who blocks like a tackle.

205. DE/DT Clifton Geathers, South Carolina (6-8, 281, 4.90)
Geathers has excellent size and strength with good athleticism and quickness, but is very raw. He could play either DT or DE for us, but will likely have to beat out Bernard in camp for a roster spot.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants Offseason thoughts IV Empty Re: Giants Offseason thoughts IV

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:24 am

This would give the Giants a roster something like:

Offense (26)

QB (3): Eli Manning, Mark Brunell, Rhett Bhomar

WR (6): Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon, Derek Hagan

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Michael Hoomanawanui

RB (4): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, Gatrell Johnson

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

OT (3): Kareem McKenzie, William Beatty, Brian Bulaga

OG (4): Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Kevin Boothe/Adam Koets

OC (2): Shaun O'Hara, Maurkice Pouncey

Defense (25)

DE (4): Justin Tuck, Aaron Kampfman, Matthias Kiwanuka, Lindsay Witten

DT (4): Chris Canty, Barry Cofield, Jay Alford, Rocky Bernard/Clifton Geathers

SLB (3): Clint Sintim, Brian Kehl, Zak DeOssie

MLB (2): Rolando McClain, Jonathan Goff

WLB (2): Michael Boley, Chase Blackburn/Gerris Wilkinson

CB (6): Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Bruce Johnson, Donovan Warren, Kevin Dockery

SS (2): Rennie Curran, Michael Johnson

FS (2): Kenny Phillips, Morgan Burnett

Special Teams (2)

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Jeff Feagles

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Much better Job then the last one.

If we get Denvers 1st 11th overall its because they got into a bidding war with SD but we wont get that third, Osi isnt worth all that.

Im not as high on McClain but cant argue with a MLB being selected. I like Bulaga but much rather not see a 1st spent on a T because I feel our NOW LT and our future LT are already on the roster. I like Pouncey. I think he has the chance to be a good one.

I like the Kampman signing but dont like the Brunnel signing.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 am

I think a first round OT is an option, not at LT, but at right tackle. We need to start grooming someone to replace Kareem.

Bulaga or another OT would backup both tackle spots; but this gives us a pair of bookend OTs for the future. I think this will be important with the proliferation of passaing offenses and 3-4 defenses. A RT who can pass block well is a great asset and opens up alot more options offensively.

you may be right about the 3rd round pick for Osi.

Bhomar is pencilled in as the eventual backup to Eli, Brunell gives us a short term stop gap insurance in case Rhett doesn't progress as expected.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down