TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Offseason thoughts 11 March

3 posters

Go down

Offseason thoughts 11 March Empty Offseason thoughts 11 March

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:51 am

I really wasn't happy with my last version.

I am thinking our new defensive scheme will be some variant of a Tampa 2 (incoporating some elements from Spagnuolo's/Sheridan's system.

I think the Giants will take a more low/patient key approach however we will at MLB, S and perhaps a couple of other positions before the offseason is done.
I think MLB will be added before the season.

trades
Trade CB Aaron Ross to Green Bay for LB AJ Hawk
Neither of these first round picks have really excelled for their teams and both would fill key needs.

Trade DE Osi Umenyiora for LB DeMeco Ryans
Houston have been reluctant to pay Ryans the kind of money he will get on the open market. A stud passrusher to play opposite Mario Williams is a critical need, particularly when you play the Colts twice a year. The texans lose a starting MLB, but gain a stud pass rusher and remember after QB, the pass rusher is the most precious commodity, plus Osi is very cheap cap wise.

Free Agency

Sign RFA CB Richard Marshall (Panthers)
A young starting calibre CB with excellent, production, durability and legitimate speed. Marshall will compete for a starting spot and helps us match up against faster receivers.

Marshall has only 30 starts in his 64 NFL games, but he does have 334 tackles (291 solo), 4 sacks, 34 Pass Def, 11 Interceptions (224 yds, 2 TDs) and 2 FF.

The bottom line is that Marshall significantly upgrades our secondary.

Second round compensation

Note: Hawk, Ryans and Marhsall are all only 26 this year with good experience and have proven very durable.

Positional Moves

Diehl to LG, Beatty to LT

Sintim to DE - Sintim isn't a good fit for a Tampa2 OLB, but he does make a good DE, particularly if Osi leaves

Draft
Without a key need, the draft gets very interesting.

15. DT Dan Williams, Tennessee, 6-2, 327, 5.16, 27
Dan Williams fills the combination of value and need. I would like to trade up for Suh , but I don't see it happening. This gives us a big plugger to anchor our defense. It is worth noting that Williams excelled in a Tampa 2 under Monte Kiffin.

Second Round pick used to sign RFA CB Richard Marshall

76. CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest, 6-0, 192, 4.45, 15
A hard hitting CB with good coverage skills

112. S Darrell Stuckey, Kansas, 6-0, 205, 4.48, 17
A very under rated hard hitting safety with very good speed, athleticism and decent ball skills.

143. DT Linval Joseph, East Carolina, 6-4½, 328, 5.11, 39
A small school DT with great, strength, power, athleticism and mobility.
We already have a DT, but NT depth is an issue particularly with Cofield on a 1 year deal at best. Joseph has too much talent to pass up here.

174. DE Lindsay Witten, Connecticut , 6-5, 250, 4.71, 23
A small school DE with good tools and ability to get to the QB.

205. P Zoltan Mesko, Michigan
A Punter with a booming kick

This would give the Giants a roster something like:

Offense (25)
QB (3): Eli Manning, Jim Sorgi, Rhett Bhomar

WR (6): Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon, Derek Hagan
TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

RB (4): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, Gatrell Johnson
FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

OT (3): Kareem McKenzie, , William Beatty, Guy Whimper
OG (3): Chris Snee, David Diehl, Kevin Boothe/Adam Koets
OC (2): Shaun O'Hara, Rich Seubert

Defense (25)

DE (4): Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka, Clint Sintim, Lindsay Witten/Dave Tollefson
NT (3): Barry Cofield, Dan Williams, Linval Jospeh/Rocky Bernard
UT (2)): Chris Canty, Jay Alford

SLB (2): AJ Hawk, Brian Kehl
MLB (2): DeMeco Ryans, Jonathan Goff/Chase Blackburn
OLB (2): Michael Boley, Gerris Wilkinson

CB (5): Corey Webster, Richard Marshall, Terrell Thomas, Bruce Johnson, Brandon Ghee
SS (3): Kenny Phillips, Michael Johnson, Darrell Stuckey
FS (2): Antrel Rolle, Major Wright

Special Teams (3)

LS (1): Zak DeOssie
K (1): Lawrence Tynes
P (1): Jeff Feagles

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Offseason thoughts 11 March Empty Re: Offseason thoughts 11 March

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:10 am

I've got Dan Williams in one of my first round Giants mocks. It's a toss-up between him and Earl Thomas at this point for me.

I'm ok with trading Ross for Hawk but then would lean toward Earl Thomas in the draft if this were to happen.

I'm good with Demeco Ryans, what kind of pay day is he going to get though? Imo there is no middle linebacker that will turn out better in this years draft.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

TD wrote:I've got Dan Williams in one of my first round Giants mocks. It's a toss-up between him and Earl Thomas at this point for me.

I'm ok with trading Ross for Hawk but then would lean toward Earl Thomas in the draft if this were to happen.

I'm good with Demeco Ryans, what kind of pay day is he going to get though? Imo there is no middle linebacker that will turn out better in this years draft.

I can understand the thoughts on Earl Thomas, but I think Marshall with a 2nd round pick is better value particularly as he is a proven commodity and all rookies are gambles to varying degrees. The fact that Marshall has been able to stay healthy is a big plus.

I think Ryans could be signed for a very reasonable contract, perhaps in the vicinity of Gary Brackett's (although likely not so backloaded)

3/5/2010: Signed five-year, $33 million contract. The deal included a $12 million signing bonus. 2010: $800,000, 2011: $2 million, 2012: $5 million, 2013-2014: $6.6 million, 2015: Free Agent
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Marshall is a very good tackler but gives up big plays far too often. Panther fans would love for a team to give them a second. Especially since captain will prolly move ahead of him this year.

Trading for two middle backers isn't the best idea. Trading ross makes cb a top priority. So avoiding that would be nice.

I'm not a big fan of drafting two big nose tackles like that especially since we have canty. We will only have Alford as an inside penatrater.

Actually Williams is one of my draft bust picks this year. Lol.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:38 pm

I see a lot of mocks having Dan Williams as a nose in a 3-4.

I don't think that is his best position as some of his flaws supposedly, are that he wears down too quick and takes plays off.

I like Williams as a guy who can come in and share duties with Cofield and anchor a line while keeping both players fresh.
Wlliams should be pretty stout against the run and that might be a refreshener if/when we lose Cofield after this season.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down