TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams

3 posters

Go down

Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams Empty Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams

Post  Big_Pete Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:36 pm

from insidefootball.com

Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams

When it comes to participating on special teams, DE Jason Pierre-Paul “gets it.”

“Special teams is an attitude every time you’re out there,” said special teams captain Chase Blackburn in defining what “it” is . “We’re trying to make it so that it’s not about, ‘Oh you’re a backup or a rookie, so you have to play special teams.’ It’s your opportunity o get on the field; it’s not a demotion or punishment.”

That’s why Pierre-Paul, the Giants first round draft pick who has a bright future ahead of him as a pass rusher, embraces the opportunity he has on special teams. “If it gets me onto the field to make plays, then I’m fine with doing it.”

It’s no coincidence that Pierre-Paul’s attitude has resulted in him emerging into one of the Giants’ better special teams players. He is routinely double-teamed, held, horse-collared – you name it. But somehow, Pierre-Paul finds a way to break free, make plays and give his team a fighting chance.

“I do take it as a compliment,” he said of being double-teamed. “If they’re doubling me that means someone is going to come free and make the tackle. They can’t just double one person all day otherwise someone will come free from the side or behind me, and it becomes easy for them to make the tackle.”

Pierre-Paul said he also sees the benefit of playing specials and being a defensive player. “It’s an extra benefit because you’re taking more reps. You’re getting extra work on things that you can use on defense,” he said. “For me as a pass rusher, it’s easy for me to run down the field and use my hands and stuff and then carry it from defense to special teams, and it works.

“Yes, it’s extra work, and some people don’t like to do it, but hey, you have to bring pride into it,” he added.

Pierre-Paul believes that most players who shun special teams tend to use the excuse that the extra work leaves them winded for when they have to go on offense or defense.

The rookie shook his head at the thought. “That’s not true,” he said. “It’s just a matter of them not wanting to do it. If you are in shape, there is no excuse to say that you’re getting tired playing special teams. If you have the heart for it, there should be no question or hesitation or excuse for not doing it.”

Pierre-Paul, who right now is a situational player on defense, knows that one day he’ll probably find himself in the starting lineup. When that promotion does come, he hopes the coaches let him continue to do double duty.

“I’ll still want to play on specials, no matter what. (Being a starter) won’t make me back off special teams because the more you contribute to a team, the better you will be, and the better the team will be.

“I like playing on specials,” he added. “It’s a physical part of the game and it fits me perfectly, so why wouldn’t I want to continue doing it?”

BLUE NOTES
*** WR Hakeem Nicks, who has had a couple of tipped balls go off his hands for interceptions, has a theory about what’s causing the problem. “I think it’s been a matter of trying to make with the ball before looking it in and securing it,” he said.

Nicks was asked if the timing has been off between QB Eli Manning and the receivers. “It’s not necessarily a matter of timing, it’s a matter of looking the ball all the way in and staying focused, and not making a move before you get the ball.”

*** PR/KR Darius Reynaud, on why he’s gotten off to a slow start: “I watched the film from yesterday and there are some things that I did that had I done differently could have helped the team, like just hitting holes. It’s like coach said -- if you come out there dancing, those guys are coming at you full speed and you won’t have time to make a move after that, so jut hit the hole speed and after that it will open up.”

***DT Chris Canty, when asked what the trick is to a team that has a good week of practice ensuring that it transfers over to game day: “It’s simple, but it’s just not easy. You practice and you continue to have disciplined practices, and you continue to try to execute to the best of your ability in practice and then you hope that in a game that carries over and that you have that mental focus and that mental toughness that keeps that consistency in the game that you had earlier in the week in practice.”

***OL Adam Koets who received his first career start at center on Sunday, said that the experience he’s received in practices and preseason games at various positions, including tackle, guard, and tight end, have made a big difference in helping him prepare for the center position.

“The opportunity to play every position allows you to really understand all the details of the offense so it helps you going to center in knowing everything as far as where your help is and in making the calls, “ Koets said. “You really gain a good understanding of the entire play.”

*** On Sunday night, the Giants will unveil their new Ring of Honor, which will recognize 30 prominent former players and coaches who have contributed to the team’s success throughout the team’s 86-year history. The members of the Ring of Honor, which will be displayed in the end zones of the New Meadowlands Stadium at every Giants home game, were selected by the Giants organization based on their contributions to the success and history of the franchise, whether they were players on the field, coaches on the sideline, executives in the front office or owners.

While the full list of members wont’ be made public until halftime of Sunday’s game, six former players and coaches who will be part of the Ring of Honor will include QB Phil Simms, DE Michael Strahan, K Pete Gogolak, RB Tiki Barber, RB Frank Gifford, and former head coach Bill Parcells.

Read more: http://trainathought.insidefootball.com/2010/09/pierre-paul-embraces-opportunity-on-special-teams.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Train-aThought+%28Inside+Football%27s+%22Train-a+Thought%22%29#ixzz10rXFDm8RPierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams

When it comes to participating on special teams, DE Jason Pierre-Paul “gets it.”

“Special teams is an attitude every time you’re out there,” said special teams captain Chase Blackburn in defining what “it” is . “We’re trying to make it so that it’s not about, ‘Oh you’re a backup or a rookie, so you have to play special teams.’ It’s your opportunity o get on the field; it’s not a demotion or punishment.”

That’s why Pierre-Paul, the Giants first round draft pick who has a bright future ahead of him as a pass rusher, embraces the opportunity he has on special teams. “If it gets me onto the field to make plays, then I’m fine with doing it.”

It’s no coincidence that Pierre-Paul’s attitude has resulted in him emerging into one of the Giants’ better special teams players. He is routinely double-teamed, held, horse-collared – you name it. But somehow, Pierre-Paul finds a way to break free, make plays and give his team a fighting chance.

“I do take it as a compliment,” he said of being double-teamed. “If they’re doubling me that means someone is going to come free and make the tackle. They can’t just double one person all day otherwise someone will come free from the side or behind me, and it becomes easy for them to make the tackle.”

Pierre-Paul said he also sees the benefit of playing specials and being a defensive player. “It’s an extra benefit because you’re taking more reps. You’re getting extra work on things that you can use on defense,” he said. “For me as a pass rusher, it’s easy for me to run down the field and use my hands and stuff and then carry it from defense to special teams, and it works.

“Yes, it’s extra work, and some people don’t like to do it, but hey, you have to bring pride into it,” he added.

Pierre-Paul believes that most players who shun special teams tend to use the excuse that the extra work leaves them winded for when they have to go on offense or defense.

The rookie shook his head at the thought. “That’s not true,” he said. “It’s just a matter of them not wanting to do it. If you are in shape, there is no excuse to say that you’re getting tired playing special teams. If you have the heart for it, there should be no question or hesitation or excuse for not doing it.”

Pierre-Paul, who right now is a situational player on defense, knows that one day he’ll probably find himself in the starting lineup. When that promotion does come, he hopes the coaches let him continue to do double duty.

“I’ll still want to play on specials, no matter what. (Being a starter) won’t make me back off special teams because the more you contribute to a team, the better you will be, and the better the team will be.

“I like playing on specials,” he added. “It’s a physical part of the game and it fits me perfectly, so why wouldn’t I want to continue doing it?”

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams Empty Re: Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Great article. I've been impressed with Pierre-Paul on specials. He has been one of the few bright spots there.
That's the kind of attitude everyone likes to see.

I read today somewhere that Kiwanuka wants a part of special teams also if the coaches feel it will help the team win.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams Empty Re: Pierre-Paul Embraces Opportunity on Special Teams

Post  Pizan Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 pm

JPP has surprised me a bit on specials and Kiwi on specials isn't a bad idea either.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:37 pm

it makes sense getting those guys on special teams.

It will help us be physical and have the right attitude

I have been impressed with Kiwanuka's leadership
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down