TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Great Sinorice Moss article

Go down

Great Sinorice Moss article Empty Great Sinorice Moss article

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:58 am

from http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=37720

Time to shine
By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

Take this story to go! - RSS | Podcast | Mobile

JUNE 16, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - Sinorice Moss took off from the line of scrimmage, ran two steps ahead of everyone down the field and hauled in Eli Manning’s perfectly-thrown pass. That scene occurred this morning during the Giants’ minicamp practice in the team’s new field house. But it has also happened virtually every time the Giants have been on the field since organized team activities began three weeks ago.

WR Sinorice Moss has had excellent offseason and has continued to excel in Mini Camp

Moss has had an outstanding spring. He’s been open constantly, caught everything thrown his way and looked like a receiver who is going to make a big contribution in 2009.

“I feel like I’m doing pretty well right now,” Moss said during the break between practices today. “Every day that I step out on the field I feel I’m progressing. I work on different things and try to become better for myself – not only for the coaches but for myself, so I go home and have a good chance at laying my head down and going to sleep.”

Moss has not produced as the Giants expected he would when they selected him on the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft. In 29 games he has 38 receptions for 403 yards and two touchdowns. In 2008, he played in 10 games and caught 12 passes for 153 yards and two scores, both against Seattle on Oct. 5.

The Giants believe he is capable of posting better numbers.

“Sinorice Moss has done a nice job,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “We would like to see the full gamut of what he can do and then for Sinorice to just keep getting better. He has accepted that challenge and he has a great attitude about it. His confidence has to be buoyed by what he has done this spring.”

What Moss has done is consistently demonstrate the speed and catching ability that was not always evident in previous seasons.

“One of the reasons he was here was because he could run,” Coughlin said. “And that was a very, very important part of his makeup – his quickness and his speed and that type of thing. He has gotten behind the secondary a few times this spring. And he has obviously created some excitement on our part in watching him do that.”

Moss has always had the ability, but it has not always transferred to production in the fall. This year, the Giants need him to step up. As everyone knows by now, last year’s starting receivers, Amani Toomer and Plaxico Burress, are no longer with the team. That has created openings for the young veterans left behind, including Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon, Mario Manningham and Moss, as well Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden, both of whom were selected in the first three rounds of the draft.

Hard to believe, but Moss is the senior member of that group. As a fourth-year pro, he is expected to step up and produce. Moss, however, said he is not placing extra pressure on himself.

“I see every year as an opportunity to go out there and make some plays,” Moss said. “But this year, by those guys not being here, it is wide open for anybody to step up and really make some plays and contribute to this team. I feel like that is why we are here on this team – to contribute. It is our time to step up and win some games.”

With his performance this spring, Moss has demonstrated he should be an important component in that effort.

“I just wanted to come out and show the coaches like I have been doing each and every year that I’m here to help this team,” Moss said. “And that is what I was brought in for three years ago and I’m still here fighting each and every day to help this team and to go out there and to make plays.”

Moss was something of a forgotten man at some points in his first three seasons. As a rookie in 2006, he was limited to six games due to a quad injury that caused him to miss almost all of training camp. The following season, he had career-high totals of 13 games played, 21 receptions and 225 yards. But he was inactive for the final two regular season games and the entire four-game postseason run with a hip injury. Last year, Moss was inactive for four games and suited up but did not play against St. Louis (9/14) and Cincinnati (9/21).

“I had some minor setbacks my first year and I got injured,” Moss said. “Things happen. I still had a positive attitude and still to this day I have a positive attitude every time I step into this locker room to go out and make plays for this team and show these coaches why I am here on this team. I never look down on myself; I just go out there and continue to work.”

Because of his sporadic contributions, some reporters who cover the team wonder where Moss stood with the organization at the end of the season.

“Sometimes, things didn’t really go my way,” Moss said. “But I stayed at it. I came to practice with that same attitude. I always ran fast, I always listened to the coaches. I always did what they asked me to do, never complained. And whenever I had my opportunities in a game I stepped up and made plays. So there is no reason for me to be mad at the coaches or look down on myself. But when I am given the opportunity to go out and make the plays, I go out and do that.”

Moss has clearly impressed the coaches with his work this spring.

“This is very exciting,” Moss said. “It is great to know that I’m getting their attention. There were times when I really didn’t know what to say, but I went out every day and I practiced hard and I went out every day and did what I had to do so that I could continue to show these coaches that I’m on this team to make plays and help this team.”

*Moss is not the only receiver who has caught the coaches’ eyes this spring.

“If you are talking about the two rookies (Nicks and Barden), they will have a good day, they will have a not so good day,” Coughlin said. “I think the one thing that has happened is they have consistently caught the ball, which is obviously a very good sign. Some of the other young guys who have had their opportunity – Manningham has continuously caught our eye. So people have taken full advantage of the opportunity.”
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down