TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

25 October - Pete's 2010 Giants Mock

2 posters

Go down

25 October - Pete's 2010 Giants Mock Empty 25 October - Pete's 2010 Giants Mock

Post  Big_Pete Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:05 am

Here is my current thoughts on a mock draft for 2010 - with a little explanation

Background - I expect a lot of underclassmen to declare for the draft, we have had around 50 each of the last few years. This will signigicantly impact where seniors end up. I have also assumed there is no new CBA in place for 2010.

"Even if the NFL opts to keep the status quo there will probably be a record number of underclassmen coming out this year. Not only do players want to beat the rookie wage scale that will likely be in place by 2011 but the injury factor has never loomed so large after what has happened to guys like Sam Bradford and Jermaine Gresham. However, the mere possibility of really striking it rich and basically being able to name your price could prove awfully enticing and agents will certainly be hammering that scenario home in their recruiting conversations this fall. In other words get ready to see a flood of youngsters unlike anything the NFL Draft has ever seen in January." - Scott Wright - Draftcountdown

With no new CBA, I expect our free agents (Carr, Robbins, Clark) and assuming we are among the top 8 playoff teams, we will have restrictions to sign free agents. Carr is the only one of these guys the Giants will want back, it will come down to price.

as far as team needs, we are well established at most positions. I do think we will be looking to upgrade our secondary depth, particularly at safety as well as a blocking TE (if possible), but the biggest area to upgrade is at LB, particularly an ILB to groom and Pierc e's replacement as well as another fast athletic guy at WLB who can work in with Boley (simply our schemes require the WLB to be fast and athletic, without that our defense has vulnerabilities).

As far as strategy goes, we will continue with the best player available, preferably at positions of need.

My Mock Draft

1. OLB Sean Weatherspoon Missouri (6-2, 245, 4.60)
"An active playmaker who has a knack for being around the action." - Scott Wright - Draftcountdown
Weatherspoon is a fast athletic playmaker at WLB in the mould of Derrick Brooks. Weatherspooon has been extremely productive (2007-09: 34 games, 332 tackles, 34 TFL, 9.5 sacks, 16 PBU, 3 Int)
Boley has shown how speed and athleticism at WLB transforms our defense, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Weatherspoon gives depth behind Boley and competition for Boley to perform. We could see both Boley and Weatherspoon on passing downs.

2. ILB Brandon Spikes, Florida (6-3, 258, 4.75)
"Leader with great intangibles who could project inside or outside." - Scott Wright - Draftcountdown
Spikes is the instinctive, physical MLB to QB our defense. Spikes has been extremely productive (2007-09: 32 Games, 256 tackles, 29.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 12 PBU, 4 Int)
Either way Clark will be gone and decisions need to be made in the near future about Pierce. Even if Pierce sticks for another year, Spikes could force his way into the mix at SLB. This could also allow Sintim to be used a bit more as a Rush DE.
Spikes should not be here, but the same could be said of Sintim, Melualuga etc last year. The bottom line is that there is too much talent for the first round (this will require Reese to trade up); the LB group is once again very deep and pass rushing OLBs will (right or wrong) be the priority. Regardless if Spikes is available here, he is too good to pass up.

3. S Nate Allen, South Florida (6-2, 206, 4.50)
"Athletic centerfielder with outstanding range and terrific instincts." - Scott Wright - Draftcountdown
Allen is a very good safety prospect in both the pass and run game; he isn't flashy and this is a deep class, but this guy is exactly the type of guy we need.

4. CB Myron Lewis, Vanderbilt (6-2, 205, 4.50)
CB is not a huge need, but the Giants will always look to improve depth, particularly a physical guy like Lewis who is a good fit for our system.
This is a numbers game, Lewis should go earlier talent-wise, but there are a ton of good corners and safeties this year

5. TE Michael Hoomanawanui, Illinois (6-5, 270, 4.80)
"he will open holes and play a critical role for whatever team selects him." - Scott Wright - Draftcountdown
An outstanding blocker and solid reciever, Hoomanwanui is an ideal complement to Boss and Beckum (both of whom are more receiving TEs).
This will pay big diviends in the running game, with more big play potential as well downfield in the passing game.

6. DT Dan Williams, Tennessee (6-3, 327, 5.20)
Williams is lost in the wash a little (in a very deep DT class), but he is strong and disruptive. Williams has been very productive
(2007-09: 33 Games, 123 tackles, 17 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 17 QBH)
With Robbins (and possibly Bernard) likely gone, the Giants need more talent inside. Williams adds a good young DT to add to the rotation with Canty, Alford and Cofield

7. QB John Skelton, Fordham (6-5, 258, 4.90)
If Carr leaves in free agency, then we ideally need another QB. Fordam has decent ability and developmental potential

Possible Roster

- With this mock draft in mind, my 2010 depth chart would be something like:

QB - Manning, Bhomar, Skelton

WR - Smith, Manningham, Nicks, Hixon, Barden, Moss/Hagan

TE - Boss, Hoomanawanui, Beckum/Johnson

RB - Jacobs, Bradshaw, Ware, Brown

FB - Hedgecock

OT - Diehl, McKenzie, Beatty

OG - Snee, Seubert, Whimper, Boothe

OC - O'Hara, Koets

DE - Tuck, Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, Tollefsen

DT - Canty, Alford, Cofield, Williams/Bernard

SLB - Sintim, Kehl/Wilkinson, DeOssie (LS)

MLB - Pierce, Spikes, Goff/Blackburn

WLB - Boley, Weatherspoon

CB - Webster, Ross, Thomas, Lewis, B Johnson/Dockery

SS - M Johnson, Rouse/Brown

FS - Phillips, Allen

K - Tynes

P - Feagles/Free Agent

Last edited by Big_Pete on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 am; edited 16 times in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

25 October - Pete's 2010 Giants Mock Empty Re: 25 October - Pete's 2010 Giants Mock

Post  Big_Pete Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:15 am

A trade up example in the second round could include some combination of players such as Moss/Wilkinson/Whimper/Bernard (perhaps with a late round pick to Rams in order to flip flop picks in the 2nd round.

The Rams need alot of help, and would get guys that Spags knows well from a very good team.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

25 October - Pete's 2010 Giants Mock Empty Re: 25 October - Pete's 2010 Giants Mock

Post  Big_Pete Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:46 am

Any thoughts?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:39 am

I may need to reasses things depending on how the season goes

I had assumed the Giants would pick late (which is still possible)

At the moment we are still good, but it will come down to performance over the back half of the season.

I am starting to go back to thinking DT as our biggest need.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:47 pm

As always Pete, Nice job on your mock.

I'm hoping that when Canty starts playing again that it helps fill the void at DT. Alford being back next season should add us some value also.
That being said, I'm not against drafting a DT in high rounds.

I think the Giants need to start looking at Safety as a high priority. Our starters now just aren't getting the job done and Phillips future is unfortunately in doubt.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:31 am

I don't think Safety will be that bad.

Firstly I think we will see Ross or Thomas move to FS soon.

DT is an issue, Robbins is a FA and almost certainly won't be back, Bernard has been average and if there is a new CBA (and it looks like the NFLPA is making that a priority) then Cofield is also a FA and is solid on running downs. Which means we have Canty and Alford at DT.
What we really need is a strong anchor the middle; someone like Arthur Jones is ideal.

An argument could be made that other than secondary help, we have few major needs
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down